Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

YARN | You were just too high-strung. | Tombstone (1993) Drama | Video  clips by quotes | d66c6629 | 紗

Happy Wednesday.

April 10, 2024: Leave the past behind, and reach for the highest and best that you can be. Rejoice in your triumphs and learn from your mistakes. Keep your vision clear by focusing on your relationship with Me, says the Lord. Set yourself to hear My voice and obey My leading. I will never lead you astray. Isaiah 53:6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Appreciate what you do here, but this commentary absolutely misses the point and beauty of this portion of scripture.

This isn’t remotely about my triumphs, it’s all about Christ’s.

We have indeed all gone astray, and that’s something far more than making a few mistakes and wandering. We’ve rebelled against a holy God and in response he sent his son to take our place and be treated as a traitor in our stead for those who believe.

Thank you for sharing the scripture though. So good to dwell on the fact that my iniquities have been laid on Christ and been paid for forever.

Also, fun fact. The Old Testament primarily uses three words when talking about sin:

Sin - missing the mark. There’s a standard set by God and we absolutely didn’t hit it.

Transgression - crossing the line. For all the things we shouldn’t have done that we did anyway.

But why? Not just because we slipped up, or forgot his commands. Iniquity refers to the twistedness in us that craves rebellion against God - to be our own authority. We not only fall into sin, but as part of our natural state we love it.

According to Isaiah 53, that was taken by Christ (along with all sin), and that just about brings me to tears. That Christ would receive the just reward for that kind of twistedness. Praise God!

Appreciate what you do here, but this commentary absolutely misses the point and beauty of this portion of scripture.

We have indeed all gone astray, and that’s something far more than making a few mistakes and wandering. We’ve rebelled against a holy God and in response he sent his son to take our place and be treated as a traitor in our stead for those who believe.

Thank you for sharing the scripture though. So good to dwell on the fact that my iniquities have been laid on Christ and been paid for forever.

Also, fun fact. The Old Testament primarily uses three words when talking about sin:

Sin - missing the mark. There’s a standard set by God and we absolutely didn’t hit it.

Transgression - crossing the line. For all the things we shouldn’t have done that we did anyway.

But why? Not just because we slipped up, or forgot his commands. Iniquity refers to the twistedness in us that craves rebellion against God - to be our own authority. We not only fall into sin, but as part of our natural state we love it.

According to Isaiah 53, that was taken by Christ (along with all sin), and that just about brings me to tears. That Christ would receive the just reward for that kind of twistedness. Praise God!
I think the goal of devotions (as written by flawed people) is to spark reflection and discussion. Maybe this flawed one did more of that then all the ones you agreed with. Faith has a funny way of bubbling up.

One interesting fact about the devotions i share everyday is that they are written by a woman. A pastor's wife for a church I have never even laid eyes on.There are some in the faith that would say she has no right to even write them. Because she is a woman. Many interpretations of scripture, thanks for sharing yours.

Yeah I always found it odd to make it about yourself. If anything, being jesus-like would lead one naturally to a life of asceticism and giving yourself. Personal gain would be flirting with disaster, "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God".

Imagine Jesus waking up and wondering how to make himself better rather than helping the bruised prostitute and the sick cripple on the corner.

I think the goal of devotions (as written by flawed people) is to spark reflection and discussion. Maybe this flawed one did more of that then all the ones you agreed with. Faith has a funny way of bubbling up.

One interesting fact about the devotions i share everyday is that they are written by a woman. A pastor's wife for a church I have never even laid eyes on.There are some in the faith that would say she has no right to even write them. Because she is a woman. Many interpretations of scripture, thanks for sharing yours.
That is wild when you think about it. You know when men wrote a book 😁

Did Jewish males write every book in the (published) bible? I would guess so, but seems an interesting question given the large variety of ethnicities in the area at the time. Or were some written later by Romans or others around the council of Nicea and others that put it together? Were some added after Jesus by historians of the time?

I've seen some theories on women writing significant chapters of the published bibles throughout history, but not sure if substantiated.

That is wild when you think about it. You know when men wrote a book 😁

Did Jewish males write every book in the (published) bible? I would guess so, but seems an interesting question given the large variety of ethnicities in the area at the time. Or were some written later by Romans or others around the council of Nicea and others that put it together? Were some added after Jesus by historians of the time?

I've seen some theories on women writing significant chapters of the published bibles throughout history, but not sure if substantiated.
2 timothy 3:16 should help here.

2 timothy 3:16 should help here.
It says "breathed out by god"?

I get the idea of divine inspiration, but doesn't answer the question of writers. Or even merely interpretation, which no one can agree on.

Objectivity or agreement amongst humans is impossible, so who writes..and their self and history...definitely matters.

Did god choose only Jewish males to inspire? Or did they choose it and define their writings as the only valid ones? Could councils many years later have chosen to leave other writings out? Of course that's very possible. We'll never know all the writings from those many years that were found and not chosen.

Even more interesting through the angle of Islam. A mixture of times and writers...or lineage at least. Still males, but of different middle eastern origins. Early Christians chose their bible outline, but arguably did not have input into the initial writings, as far as we know.

Meanwhile Judaism intermixed centuries of rabbinical teachings to go par with the "OT" and seen as its equal. Varying from orthodox to reformists. Not sure if female perspectives in reform. Certainly not in orthodoxy.

All the same god, but many different directions of writers, albeit still all male afaik.

Reactions: bluegrasser

I get the idea of divine inspiration, but doesn't answer the question of writers. Or even merely interpretation, which no one can agree on.

Objectivity or agreement amongst humans is impossible, so who writes..and their self and history...definitely matters.

Did god choose only Jewish males to inspire? Or did they choose it and define their writings as the only valid ones? Could councils many years later have chosen to leave other writings out? Of course that's very possible. We'll never know all the writings from those many years that were found and not chosen.

Even more interesting through the angle of Islam. A mixture of times and writers...or lineage at least. Still males, but of different middle eastern origins. Early Christians chose their bible outline, but arguably did not have input into the initial writings, as far as we know.

Meanwhile Judaism intermixed centuries of rabbinical teachings to go par with the "OT" and seen as its equal. Varying from orthodox to reformists. Not sure if female perspectives in reform. Certainly not in orthodoxy.
You're severely over thinking this. God's words through divine inspiration, recorded by man. God's choice who recorded his Word. Sure, some of it was written from different perspectives for different groups of people but all saying the same thing. Written so all could relate and understand. Not trying to start a biblical discussion believe me, I don't know near what I wish I did about scripture and meaning, still working on it like all Christians. I'm sure there are posters on here that know alot more than I do, in fact I'm sure of it. They can probably answer you alot better than I can.

As far as the other different religions you mentioned, examples of mankind adding to or taking away from scripture, IMO. I am most certainly not a scholar so my opinion is probably not very educated on them.

It all boils down to belief and faith that the scriptures are God's given to us as 2 timothy says.

I know I didn't answer hardly anything you asked in your post. Hahahahaha, sorry.

Man only In RF are biblical breakdowns, sex tape gossip, player defection rumors, and dress code thesis present in the same thread. Everywhere else you got to go to a different forum for that kind of diversity.

My thoughts in order.

1. I may purposely post blantanty bad devotionals to get this much discussion.

2. I don't care what people do in the bedroom, but I would like to know if one private portal opening might help us on the recruiting trail.

3. I trust Barnes.

4. I may not routinely wear cargo shorts, but I won't have y'all shame me into wearing skinny pants with elastic cuffs and a fanny pack to carry my crap on a hiking trail.

5. Long live RF. The place for posters that like their content as chocked full as cargo shorts at Disney.

All the same god, but many different directions of writers, albeit still all male afaik.
The first person to be told of the promise of Christ and the first people he appeared to upon rising from the dead were women. At the time women were not allowed to testify in court. Christianity is the most female friendly religion in history. Jews and Christians only circumcise the males.

Drew's response.

Good lord and here I thought Dabo was the only one inculcating his evangelism on his program.

No offense. I see your daily post and have no issue with it. I am just of the faction that believes in separation of church and state and thinks it more exclusive rather than inclusive to brand your sports program to a certain religion. It’s one thing to let your faith guide your morality. It’s another to say your program is driven by a faith as opposed to the general morals that most organized religion aims to espouse. If I were a nonreligious or non Christian athlete, that statement would make me question my participation in that program or otherwise dissuade me from joining it.

EDIT: I’ve been called out for not knowing Baylor was a Christian school.

Last edited:
Good lord and here I thought Dabo was the only one inculcating his evangelism on his program.

No offense. I see your daily post and have no issue with it. I am just of the faction that believes in separation of church and state and thinks it more exclusive rather than inclusive to brand your sports program to a certain religion. It’s one thing to let your faith guide your morality. It’s another to say your program is driven by a faith as opposed to the general morals that most organized religion aims to espouse. If I were a nonreligious or non Christian athlete, that statement would make me question my participation in that program or otherwise dissuade me from joining it.
Odd thing to say about a coach who coaches at a Christian school

I liked for Separation of Church and State comment. Though, the specifics here are a touch different.

VN Store

Back