Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news. I've never understood why people keep saying "he'll never be healthy" when we haven't seen a report since about the middle of the season that said he isn't healthy.

well he didnt play his senior year of high school - was injured last spring and then was injured in the fall

i think those people had a reason to be concerned about his ability to get/stay healthy

TIFWIW, but I sat next to an investigative reporter from Yahoo on a flight yesterday. His name will not be disclosed, but after a long conversation he said Yahoo is looking into a report of rampant HGH use at Alabama. Not sure if anything will come out of this, but if Yahoo starts sniffing around, it's usually bad news. Thought it was at least interesting news to pass along.

TIFWIW, but I sat next to an investigative reporter from Yahoo on a flight yesterday. His name will not be disclosed, but after a long conversation he said Yahoo is looking into a report of rampant HGH use at Alabama. Not sure if anything will come out of this, but if Yahoo starts sniffing around, it's usually bad news. Thought it was at least interesting news to pass along.
If the media has an axe to grind, they will do whatever they please in pursuing the angle that they want to portray. Right now many in the sports media want to take down the bullies of the SEC. Is anyone shocked that they may do a story on the bullies?

i would bet there is rampant HGH use across many college football football programs and NFL and MLB teams as, unless I am mistaken, it can only be picked up in a blood test which is not permissible in any of these leagues

EDIT... also the more i read about HGH it starts to seem like medicine - jmo, i know it won't be a popular one - but if we have a drug that can help people heal really fast and get back to normal i don't see the issue - a la andy pettitte

i would bet there is rampant HGH use across many college football football programs and NFL and MLB teams as, unless I am mistaken, it can only be picked up in a blood test which is not permissible in any of these leagues

MLB has implemented a testing program for HGH beginning this year.

EDIT... also the more i read about HGH it starts to seem like medicine - jmo, i know it won't be a popular one - but if we have a drug that can help people heal really fast and get back to normal i don't see the issue - a la andy pettitte

I believe HGH is ok to use during the healing process. The problem comes with the continued use after the healing or the use for non healing reasons.

HGH is virtually useless as a stand alone Performance enhancer.

read up on Victor Conte, VADA and other lab experts.

Major League baseball still grandstanding.

Reactions: 1 person

AU fans are still waiting on all the bad news from Yahoo about Cam Newton, Jovon Robinson, and so forth. See the pattern. Yahoo is like bleacher report or TMZ.

I guess the funny part is one of the 1st things Saban implemented when he got to UA was annual steroid testing, because he already believed it was an issue in CFB. His same program the NCAA is looking to possibly mandate it for every team.

Yahoo news always the bridesmaid.

AU fans are still waiting on all the bad news from Yahoo about Cam Newton, Jovon Robinson, and so forth. See the pattern. Yahoo is like bleacher report or TMZ.

I guess the funny part is one of the 1st things Saban implemented when he got to UA was annual steroid testing, because he already believed it was an issue in CFB. His same program the NCAA is looking to possibly mandate it for every team.

Not wanting to argue at all, but Saban's steroid testing is completely irrelevant to any conversation about HGH. That's like police cracking down on j-walking while ignoring the drug deal going down on the corner behind them.

I am not saying Yahoo will find anything or that Bama is even doing anything wrong, but those steroid tests prove nothing when it comes to HGH.

On taking another QB this class...

They're not going to reach I don't think. They have a few names out there that are either visiting or talking about visiting. Jason Smith, the athlete from Alabama committed to Auburn may visit. The Dobbs kid may visit and Franklin is visiting this weekend.

I think the logic is they are looking for 'their guy.' They like Ferguson, but I think they want another one to be certain.

-Fortenberry

I take it you don't remember this?

Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players - Investigations - Yahoo! Sports

On taking another QB this class...

-Fortenberry

Makes sense. The guys they are after are intriguing.

I'm really excited about all the SPEED they seem to be going after, at QB and elsewhere. I'm excited to see it on the field in the future.

I'm personally glad we've kept the Oregon game, although part of me wishes there was a way to push it until 2014 or 2015, once CBJ has gotten the roster closer to what his vision for it seems to be. That game would be like watching an Olympic track and field competition...

Not wanting to argue at all, but Saban's steroid testing is completely irrelevant to any conversation about HGH. That's like police cracking down on j-walking while ignoring the drug deal going down on the corner behind them.

I am not saying Yahoo will find anything or that Bama is even doing anything wrong, but those steroid tests prove nothing when it comes to HGH.

The problem is until the NCAA comes up with a uniform policy for all schools nothing will ever happen. The only policy that the NCAA uses that it requires any team participating in a bowl game or championship to take drug test for everything when they arrive or they will not be allowed to play. And then the NCAA will only test random samples. This year I saw a report that 1 in 38 players got tested at the bowl games.

But each school has different policies. Like UNC you are automatically kicked off the team and the same at Duke. The SEC is a little less severe. AU may have the strictest I have seen by only suspending for half the season.

This is ND's policy.

Notre Dame's student-athlete handbook says a player who fails a test can return to the field once the steroids are out of his system.

The NCAA will not force or enforce anything and can not unless all the members vote on it.

I am sure every major CFB program has players taking some kind of enhancements.

I believe HGH is ok to use during the healing process. The problem comes with the continued use after the healing or the use for non healing reasons.

I understand your point and agree there should really be no argument when talking about recovering from injury

if it doesnt have negative side effects like steroids though I guess I don't see a major issue with HGH use - i am sure all the science is not in but if someone can take something that helps them workout more and be a better athlete and it isnt harmful to their health i just don't see the big deal in doing it

No disrespect OCI as I enjoy everything you bring to the boards. But, I have to question this. Unless you already knew this guy personally, I find it a bit difficult to believe that in the course of a flight you met a total stranger who proceeded to disclose that not only is he is an investigative reporter but the topic of his investigation, which if true, would be quite the story to say the least. But, out of courtesy or confidentiality, his name is being withheld. Doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.

Reactions: 1 person
No disrespect OCI as I enjoy everything you bring to the boards. But, I have to question this. Unless you already knew this guy personally, I find it a bit difficult to believe that in the course of a flight you met a total stranger who proceeded to disclose that not only is he is an investigative reporter but the topic of his investigation, which if true, would be quite the story to say the least. But, out of courtesy or confidentiality, his name is being withheld. Doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.
I believe.

It was mentioned after discussing Alabama's dominance over Notre Dame and the visual size disadvantage of Notre Dame and after discussing MLB's new HGH testing policy. It was an off-the-cuff remark made by the journalist followed up by one question from me. He did not say much, but clearly stated that the two topics are connected in an investigation recently underway. Again, take it for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back