Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet they really are using helicopters to de-ice wind turbines, so the fact is that it's ironic. Your "facts" have literally nothing to do with that meme.

Edit, and by the way, wind/solar accounts for about 40% of the offline power production in Texas right now (18k of 46k production that is offline). I know those facts don't support your narrative, but since you're being hyper critical and literal about a meme, you should apply the same hyper criticism to your own statements.

They may be and I don’t pretend to know, but the photo that was posted and has made the rounds on social media and sparked this back and forth - that photo was taken in Sweden in 2015.

After watching way too many UCF, Missouri and Baylor games and doing some research the last 3 weeks, here are some things I've noticed about the offense and QB in particular:

1. Besides the obvious high tempo and it being a spread system, some trademarks of the offense are that the WRs are split out much wider than most teams. The furthest wide out on each side usually lines up on the outside of the yard line markers near the sideline. Probably 90-95 percent of the time the ball is thrown on a hitch, slant, post, bubble or a go route on the outside or to the slot. Not many balls are thrown in the middle of the field but this could also be due to personnel and matchups (perhaps a guy like Dee Beckwith, should he move to tight end, might call for more tight end targets/middle of the field routes).

2. There are a few things each starter I've seen in this system have in common. With JH alone, I've watched Dillon Gabriel, Mckenzie Milton, and Drew Lock. But this is a version of the Art Briles system so I've also watched RG3, Bryce Petty, Jarrett Stidham, etc also. Each one of those guys had a pretty quick release. They have no doubt practiced this, but a guy like Harrison Bailey is going to need to undergo some pretty dramatic changes in his mechanics in order to be a fit for this system. When I say quick release, I'm not talking about how long to read the defense and react, but rather how quick you can actually get the ball out of your hands once you've made the decision where to go with it. I think Hooker, Maurer and Salter from what I've seen are ahead of Bailey in that area of their game.

3. With the WRs being split out so wide coupled with the fact this offense isn't called the veer and shoot for nothing, arm strength is going to be important. It may not be the end-all-be-all, but in order to "shoot" on those go routes, the QB is going to have to have adequate arm strength to throw the ball downfield 40-50 yards on the regular. With that being said, not just accuracy, but downfield accuracy coupled with arm strength is probably one of the most important attributes for a QB in this system.

4. This system is pretty flexible with being friendly to pocket passers and dual threats alike. Unlike the lip service you hear from a lot of coaches that any quarterback fits their system (looking at you Butch), this system pretty much does fit any type of QB. However, I do think it works best with a guy who has the arm strength to stretch the field. If you couple that with a guy who can run, it's not a stretch of the imagination to see that type of player being in end-of-the-year awards conversations. Our best runners appear to be Hooker and Maurer and I think Salter is mobile but maybe not a home run threat with his legs.

I'm certain there is so much more to it especially on the mental side, making reads, checks, run fits, etc. But with all of that being said, here's how I see it breaking down depth chart wise and why...

QB1 - Hooker
Experienced 5th-year guy with 2 years left, has had some success in P5 and beat some solid teams, arm strength not elite but definitely adequate at the college level. Accuracy similar to arm strength, probably not elite, but not an obvious liability. Appears to have good mobility in the pocket and ability to scramble if needed. Higher end running QB who should have a healthy amount of QB runs drawn up for him. Game is similar to Josh Dobbs and I think with his experience, he gives us the best chance to win right away.

QB2 - Salter
While an unknown until hitting the field, Salter appears to have high-end arm talent and mobility in the pocket and scrambling from high school clips. Accuracy will be an unknown until practice starts. Good prospect with the highest ceiling. May push Hooker to start later in the season depending on development and accuracy. Mechanics look advanced.

QB3/4 - Bailey/Maurer
To me, this one is a toss-up. Obviously, Bailey appears to have more potential than Maurer. However, I'm pretty concerned about Bailey having to change his mechanics for this system. Last year, Bailey had a lot of that "baby giraffe" look a lot of freshmen do. That doesn't mean that he can't mature and become a great QB, but his release is not quick and that means he will have to get comfortable shortening his throwing motion which can take a lot of work. He also was very slow on his reads when a guy was not totally open and took a lot of unnecessary sacks. While this system is pretty QB-friendly, and even as-is I'm sure Bailey could be serviceable, I just don't see him being a starter in this system without some serious intervention in his mechanics.

Maurer still has a lot of potential and could surprise, but he doesn't do anything really well except run. He has adequate to good arm strength but accuracy and decision-making have shown to be liabilities in the past. In my opinion, in order for Maurer to break through and have a chance here, he is going to have to prove to be a consistently better passer than Hooker in every way and be almost mistake-free. His running ability is similar with hooker (hooker is probably better), but he is slighter in stature so he's not going to be a guy you want taking 10-15 carries a game and taking hits all season. I hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see him being a factor unless there is miraculous improvement.

Just wanted to give you my two cents, and I hope it was insightful. Go Vols!
Ap said back when Hooker signed that he may be the starter but that he feels Hooker is more of a backup. At least at this point.

Reactions: VOLCLASSOF2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back