Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its interesting that Chaney was coaching TEs in the pros when LK hired him. When Brees started having success in the pros Chaney's stock grew. Probably one of the reason LK wanted him. Chaney by his association with Brees could impress recruitys whose dreams were locked on to the NFL. It seems to me the criticisms brought against him here are fair.

Kiffin wanted someone who had a similar offense who would let him tell them what to do. Chaney was that guy.

and for those of you who like stats here some fun stats to show where we should place the blame

note offense rated 4th in SEC in points, 2nd in yards - College Football - Statistics by Team - Rivals.com

note QB ranked #1 in SEC - College Football - Statistics by Category - Rivals.com

note defense ranked last - 2nd to last in rush D, 2nd to last in pass D - College Football - Statistics by Team - Rivals.com

now i never agree that stats tell the whole story but this is a real come on - the blame rests on the D my friends, not on Tbray

Reactions: 1 person
People look at the stats Chaney is putting up but his offensive playcalling has no flow to it. Nor does it really have a true identity. In tight pressure situations he always makes bad calls. And Doofus never told him we're not running that. Bama never lines up in the wildcat if they are punishing a team with the I-Formation. To many risks with the wildcat snaps when you can just snap the ball and hand it off for 7-8 yards. Just crazy to me.

I'm not a regular in this thread, but just wanted to agree with this. No identity at all, with the exception that we threw the deep ball in the oddest situations and tried to employ too many gimmick plays, just because we practiced them. How many different players took a snap in the wildcat this year?

But, the biggest stat that makes me wonder what we were trying to do is this one:

Tyler Bray 3 102 34.0 41 1 0 1 0 0

That was Bray's quick kicks. I really don't know too many teams that rely on this as a tactic anymore.

Well that can't be a bad thing, and thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE: 11/20/12

Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek Addresses UT Athletic Department Budget Situation

As we face a transition in our football program, I want to make it clear that we support a mission of comprehensive excellence in our athletics department. Under the leadership of Vice Chancellor and Athletics Director Dave Hart, we will do the things required to return our team to national prominence. As we begin our search for a new coach, I have assured Dave that he will have the support and resources he needs to be successful.

For the next three years, the money the athletics department has contributed to the campus will be reinvested in the athletics department. Relieving athletics of this commitment will allow the department to add an average of $6 million per year to its bottom line for a total of $18 million over three years.

The money was committed under different circumstances and we now need to allow athletics to use these dollars to attain financial stability and invest in the future.

Most of this money has been used for scholarships and fellowships. We will continue to honor these commitments, primarily through private gifts. Let me emphasize, we will not reduce our commitment to students.

I know that winning championships and competing at the highest level lifts the national profile of the University of Tennessee. As chancellor, I am committed to winning both on the field and in the classroom.

Reactions: 1 person
Cheek Addresses Athletics Budget Situation - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

"It is substantial, but it's not comprehensive reform.

For some perspective, Tennessee's athletic department over the past three years at least has turned over between $18-21 million to the University. So, today's announcement is a step in the right direction, but wouldn't say that entirely levels the playing field against programs like Alabama where the AD is required to turn over zero money to the University, and in fact the University gives money to the AD annually."

-Rob Lewis

Last edited:
I'm not a regular in this thread, but just wanted to agree with this. No identity at all, with the exception that we threw the deep ball in the oddest situations and tried to employ too many gimmick plays, just because we practiced them. How many different players took a snap in the wildcat this year?

But, the biggest stat that makes me wonder what we were trying to do is this one:

Tyler Bray 3 102 34.0 41 1 0 1 0 0

That was Bray's quick kicks. I really don't know too many teams that rely on this as a tactic anymore.

i agree it was strange, but bray might have been our best kicker/punter this year - he actually got some decent results out of it

i agree it was strange, but bray might have been our best kicker/punter this year - he actually got some decent results out of it

Funny and sadly true. I'm also convinced that part of our kicking woes was simply confusion on who was going in and what they were going to do. At the start of the year, I thought Palardy was the poocher who would go in when we were stopped at mid-field and lawn dart the ball on the 5. Darr was supposed to be the boomer who would go in when we were stopped deep and needed 50+ yards. By the 3rd game it looked like we just sent the guy who happened to have his helmet on when it was time to go. Confusing to me, must have been hell on them.

I'm a fan of picking your starter and holding him responsible. The last thing you do with a kicker is sit him down or replace him after a bad kick. It only gives him time to think about it and pretty near ruins him for the rest of the game. Better get him back out there quickly and rebuild his confidence. Swapping Palardy and Darr or Palardy and Brodus was very ineffective and pretty amateur in my view.

Cuddling huh??? So he goes down a TD and abandons the running game. Florida ties the game up and this idiot runs the ball one time the rest of the game. LMAO But I'm the one cuddling huh. Vandy game he's getting 7-8 yards a pop with the run but he just stops. Bama he doesn't attack their defense downfield at all most of the game. Miss. State the running game was killing them early on but on 2- 3rd and shorts he calls pass plays. Dude is a stat man. Not a good playcaller. I never heard a dumber remark than when he said we don't have to call screens for our WRs. That's just idiotic seeing we have weapons on the edge who should get 8-12 touches a game.

SN: And LT quit every year in the playoffs. Anyone could see that. He got hurt every year come playoff time. What playoff game did he takeover? Him blaming management is hilarious.

Yawns. Wake me up when your boy shows up in a big game.

he is a 1st round pick with 4 pro bowls

he also has been to an AFC title game and has beaten peyton manning multiple times in the playoffs

i would say he has definitely won some big games - dan marino never won a SB - i guess he is a scrub we would never want wearing a UT uniform either eh? at this point in his career john elway hadnt either

The point was and always has been sir ... regarding Bray's temperment isn't that he has an attitude problem but one that he isn't a good decision maker nor is he a good leader. He has shown that when the going gets tough he backs down rather than seizing the moment and appears to pout.

I find it very hypocritical that Bray gets a pass and Hunter gets called soft. We've lost those games as a team. Our D has been awful but we had an opportunity to win or tie in all but 2 games. Nobody has performed in those times.

and for those of you who like stats here some fun stats to show where we should place the blame

note offense rated 4th in SEC in points, 2nd in yards - College Football - Statistics by Team - Rivals.com

note QB ranked #1 in SEC - College Football - Statistics by Category - Rivals.com

note defense ranked last - 2nd to last in rush D, 2nd to last in pass D - College Football - Statistics by Team - Rivals.com

now i never agree that stats tell the whole story but this is a real come on - the blame rests on the D my friends, not on Tbray

Not sure when you started reading but you missed WHY BB and I started this discussion. I like you contend that the offense isn't the problem; however, I do believe that Bray has hamstrung Chaney to some extent. People want to blame Chaney for benching Bray when he was stinking it up but fail to give the man proper credit. He has coached essentially all season with NO room for error because he essentially has had to score on EVERY position.

Sure he's had some boneheaded calls but the work the man has done has been nothing short of tremendous. Yet, our simple minded fans want to critique.

I find it very hypocritical that Bray gets a pass and Hunter gets called soft. We've lost those games as a team. Our D has been awful but we had an opportunity to win or tie in all but 2 games. Nobody has performed in those times.

AMEN! :clapping: :salute:

At least someone else can see this problem.

Chaney thinks he can play basketball on grass. Just crazy to try that down here in the SEC.

Spurrier did it for years. Sumlin will as well. He's just playing up to his QBs strengths at the moment. The strength of our passing game has ALWAYS been the strength of our offense. The running game has come around this year but honestly how many times have we been able to run the ball down anyone's throat when they know the run is coming? Hell, we can't even get a yd when we bring in the beef on 4th and 1. That's why we're desperately trying to get a difference maker at RB. Don't trip. You know better.

I have to say, Mizzou proved to me that he can't coach with a lead. Why did we stop running the ball?
You might want to go back and look at the play-by-play of that game. In the second half, we actually stopped throwing the ball and ran the ball at a higher percentage rate. We did not start overwhelmingly throwing the ball until the last series in regulation and in overtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back