Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutcliffe would have the offense and Bray producing at a very high level. The amount of offensive talent this team is wasting is crazy.

I agree I think he comes in and gets respect from the players too. I hear EA talk about how Cutcliffe changed him and his entire approach I can't help but like what I think he could do with Worley if what I hear is true and hes a film rat.

I'm not sure who would be between Gruden and Smart, though I assume Strong will be one. I don't think Smart would be number two.

Why do people not like Smart? Saban promoted Smart to DC and has done everything to keep Smart as his DC (has successfully done so for five years). Dooley was never promoted to a coordinators role. Smart will be a great head coach...either for UT or UGA.

I know these options are far-fetched, but ...

A) Can we demote Dooley to an assistant coach and pay him his salary without paying the buyout?

B) Would a guy like Gruden ever consider being an offensive coordinator if his contract was bigger than the head coach's contract? It would be a lot less administrative/recruiting work, he could do what he loves to do, and he would have much more free time.

Why do people not like Smart? Saban promoted Smart to DC and has done everything to keep Smart as his DC (has successfully done so for five years). Dooley was never promoted to a coordinators role. Smart will be a great head coach...either for UT or UGA.

I think everyone wants a proven HC instead of hoping for the best, especially after what has taken place the last few years. I'm not down on Smart, I agree that he will be a good HC at some point. I just think we can do better at this time.

Saban runs that defense, that at least is the assumption.

I don't think it's a matter of not liking him. Cause we all know when it comes down to it that is Saban's defense and always will be. I personally want a guy that has been a head coach already or is one currently, I don't want another first time head coach.

I wanr nothing to do with Saban's crew.....I want a guy who wants to beat Saban. Muschamp isn't a Saban guy down at Florida. He's under Tuberville too. And has a Tuberville style of defense. IMO let Smart prove himself somewhere else not at UT. Tell him to go to Auburn or Georgia.

Smart will be a great DC for the Cleveland Browns. :)

Exactly. He would be a very good hire.

2 problems, Taggart's probably not big time enough for the Boosters (in their eyes it would be similar to Dooley hire) and the 2nd ( just being brutally honest), he's black.

although, you could say he has a better resume than Stanford's David Shaw.
Taggart's been an OC (OC of a D-1AA national Champion) , QB coach, WR coach and RB coach.

I wanr nothing to do with Saban's crew.....I want a guy who wants to beat Saban. Muschamp isn't a Saban guy down at Florida. He's under Tuberville too. And has a Tuberville style of defense. IMO let Smart prove himself somewhere else not at UT. Tell him to go to Auburn or Georgia.

What about Tuberville as a candidate?

Reactions: 1 person
I'll support whoever we get. I think Hart knows he needs to get the absolute best available - and the best available that's willing to take this job. The final coaching choice will probably inform us about the gap between how some like to think about Tennessee football (a perennial top 5 program held back by only Dooley) and how others perceive it (a top 25 contender that should challenge for the SEC East most years, with a real shot at the SEC title once or twice a decade).

I DO NOT want another coach off the Saban coaching tree.

We're the University of Tennessee, not the University of Alabama, Knoxville.

Yes, it's just perception and has little, if anything, to do with coaching ability but I'd like some of my pride back, thank you very much...borrowing from our biggest rival's coaching staff feels like borrowing money from China. Sure it helps pay the bills, but damn if it doesn't depreciate your image in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: 1 person
2 problems, Taggart's probably not big time enough for the Boosters (in their eyes it would be similar to Dooley hire) and the 2nd ( just being brutally honest), he's black.

although, you could say he has a better resume than Stanford's David Shaw.
Taggart's been an OC (OC of a D-1AA national Champion) , QB coach, WR coach and RB coach.
Personally, I think Strong is the second choice.

And the Gruden talk is just pointless. That should be stopped. You shouldn't hope for that. You should hope for something realistic. If major media outlets aren't reporting it, it's not worth listening to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back