Recruiting Football Talk VII

Probably easier, tho, to make contact with a baseball, than it is to actually aim a golf ball. It's not the hitting of the golf ball that is difficult. It's the putting it in the hole off of one shot from the tee.

Also, I hate golf.
I think we may be into semantics.

Hole in one is a very rare event. For sure.

But the golfer hits the ball every time. Hits the fairway/green the vast majority (aim).

The best baseball players in the world are successful 40% of the time.

Accepting your impression for the sake of the argument, it doesn't resolve the issue imo because we are talking about athletics. Big, strong, and fast are athletic qualities. Someone lacking those qualities in a relative sense would likely find hitting a baseball easier, not more difficult. And vice versa. I think the difficulty is relative to the individual. And it is the individual who is an athlete of one type of another. I think a fan's rank ordering of difficulty relates most to the fan's attraction and attention to and love for different types of accomplishment. You would see the problem reproduce itself if we next decided (I don't want to!) to compare difficulty of athletic excellence to the difficulty of being the best in other types of attainment: business, mathematics, philosophy, raising children, literature, performing music, etc., etc.
A big part of hitting a baseball and baseball in general that is being left out is one's ability to deal with fear and failure. It is not natural to stand there and let someone throw a rock at your head. The ability to overcome fear is a major factor to success as hitter.
There is a lot of failure in baseball too. Some people can not handle failing more times than they succeed. And failure in baseball is often gut wrenching. Bases loaded, 2 outs, and you hit one on the screws right at someone. Elation followed by anguish in an instant.

Last edited:
I think the AD should meet with the ncaa again and declare that there will be no scholarship reduction. Unless they actually punish michigan.
Then inform them that it could be very publicly embarrassing for them if the comparison was made very publicly.
Then walk out without waiting for an answer.
To hell with the scholarship reductions.

I hereby declare them null and void.
- DW

YARN | That takes me back. | Addams Family Values (1993 ...

Our pitching makes me a little nervous. . . not that I know much about it, but seems people are always whining about our pitching this season. . . probably bad logic for me to make an opinion based off us cry-babies throwing a fit during games. . .
To be fair, people whine about everything pretty much non-stop. If we issue a walk, you would probably not be able to throw a rock without hitting someone that wanted to fahr Tony and raze LN stadium to the ground.

But the golfer hits the ball every time. Hits the fairway/green the vast majority (aim).

You'd be better off comparing hole-in-ones to home runs, but even then, hole-in-ones are probably rarer.

Also, how often do the best golfers in the world hit a hole-in-one? Is that statistic even measured?

Probably easier, tho, to make contact with a baseball, than it is to actually aim a golf ball. It's not the hitting of the golf ball that is difficult. It's the putting it in the hole off of one shot from the tee.

Also, I hate golf.
Standing in the box when a 95 mph fastball is coming your way is pretty scary for someone not doing it on the reg. Even scarier when you know the dude can also bury and 85 mph slider on your feet.

Nothing scary about golf except running out of beer on the back 9.

The thing of the hardest in sports is put to rest in my mind when you look at the success rate of best players in each sport. The best hitters of all time only experienced success 40% of the time. That would be unacceptable much less elite in anything else.
That is deceptive imo. What are you comparing a hit to? Making a basket? Then we'd be at a lost to find a basketball equivalent to scoring a run in baseball. Making a first down? Find an RB who averages more than 10 yards per carry on annual basis. Because a hit is not a touchdown. What is a strike and ball for a rusher? What is an assist for a batter? A QB and a basketball player pass to a teammate. What would batting percentages look like if each baseball team pitched the most favorable balls they could to their own batters? Your proud .400 would go through the roof.

If a WR can't make the play on a poorly thrown or deflected pass, it compares to neither a strike, a ball, or an error. And there's no hitting equivalent at all for things that a OT would need to do to be elite. What is the baseball equivalent of the percentage differences in basketball for making a layout compared to a 3 point shot? Does a hitter ever become celebrated for scoring with a hand in his face or when double teamed? There are no heavily contested hits.

Finally, there is no football equivalent at all to an offensive player advancing on a throw by the defense. It's completely apples and oranges. I suppose the nearest one could contrive would be fielding punts and kickoffs. Would you divide the field by 4 (for each base) and compile the percent of all returns advanced 25 or more yards? You wouldn't find anyone near 40% on the season.

Percentages relative to different sports are sport specific.

What you're claiming I would interpret to mean "I am a big baseball fan" and "I enjoy disputing unresolvable matters for fun." I don't think it can amount to more than that.

Last edited:

I must be allergic to that video, especially the BY part. I am so happy for all those young men, but multiply that by 1000 for BY. He just exemplifies what a person can do when they apply their God given talents. You may think you are down and out, but do not let your current situation in life dictate your decisions for your future. Love BY so much!

Standing in the box when a 95 mph fastball is coming your way is pretty scary for someone not doing it on the reg. Even scarier when you know the dude can also bury and 85 mph slider on your feet.

Nothing scary about golf except running out of beer on the back 9.
It's scarier to be a wr than it is to be a batter.

I must be allergic to that video, especially the BY part. I am so happy for all those young men, but multiply that by 1000 for BY. He just exemplifies what a person can do when they apply their God given talents. You may think you are down and out, but do not let your current situation in life dictate your decisions for your future. Love BY so much!
🧡🏈

I'm not terribly upset about Aidoo. I am not rooting for him, but I am not wishing him any bad luck. I think we'll be fine. If we get 'Shack back, and it looks like we will, and some portal guys, I think we will end up benefiting from something we wished would never happen.

I think as a prank, and not in earnest, I would blame @mykidturnedmeintoaVOL, except she is such a great Vols fan. Hats off to her and her kid.

Last edited:
I'm not upset about Aidoo. I am not rooting for him, but I am not wishing him any bad luck. I think we'll be fine. If we get 'Shack back, and it looks like we will, and some portal guys, I think we will end up benefiting from something we never wished would never happen.

I think as a prank, and not in earnest, I would blame @mykidturnedmeintoaVOL, except she is such a great Vols fan. Hats off to her and her kid.
I wouldn't say I'm upset but Aidoo was developing under Barnes. Perhaps with more 'strength training' over the off season, he would have taken another step forward. He did have some good games this year.

Don’t know. Hardly ever, I imagine.

Hitting the golf ball “correctly” was what I believe I was referring to - Pro golfers do that with high regularity.
Pro baseball players actually make contact far more than their averages suggest, it's just that not all contact results in a "hit". You can hit a baseball "correctly" and it still be an out and thus, not a hit.

I'm not upset about Aidoo. I am not rooting for him, but I am not wishing him any bad luck. I think we'll be fine. If we get 'Shack back, and it looks like we will, and some portal guys, I think we will end up benefiting from something we never wished would never happen.

I don’t mind any player capitalizing on NIL if a collective wants to pay him Knecht type money more power to them, and ours will continue paying smart money for other players. It’s just part of the game now days.

VN Store

Back