Recruiting Football Talk VII

Golf is the only game that you have to practice every day just to still suck.
We have not even delved into the mental aspects of sports performance. I have heard many say the part that separates a PGA pro and your local course pro is 100% mental. There are many scratch golfers that can lay down competitive rounds that would wilt in a tournament.

Gymnastics has to be damn near impossible. Those leotards always riding up those poor girls' butt cracks?? That's brutal. Probably doesn't feel good on their lady bits either.

That is deceptive imo. What are you comparing a hit to? Making a basket? Then we'd be at a lost to find a basketball equivalent to scoring a run in baseball. Making a first down? Find an RB who averages more than 10 yards per carry on annual basis. Because a hit is not a touchdown. What is a strike and ball for a rusher? What is an assist for a batter? A QB and a basketball player pass to a teammate. What would batting percentages look like if each baseball team pitched the most favorable balls they could to their own batters? Your proud .400 would go through the roof.

If a WR can't make the play on a poorly thrown or deflected pass, it compares to neither a strike, a ball, or an error. And there's no hitting equivalent at all for things that a OT would need to do to be elite. What is the baseball equivalent of the percentage differences in basketball for making a layout compared to a 3 point shot? Does a hitter ever become celebrated for scoring with a hand in his face or when double teamed? There are no heavily contested hits.

Finally, there is no football equivalent at all to an offensive player advancing on a throw by the defense. It's completely apples and oranges. I suppose the nearest one could contrive would be fielding punts and kickoffs. Would you divide the field by 4 (for each base) and compile the percent of all returns advanced 25 or more yards? You wouldn't find anyone near 40% on the season.

Percentages relative to different sports are sport specific.

What you're claiming I would interpret to mean "I am a big baseball fan" and "I enjoy disputing unresolvable matters for fun." I don't think it can amount to more than that.
I am much more of a football fan than baseball, especially in this era of professional baseball. I have been intimately involved in both for many years. I was trying voice my objective opinion.

While I agree that there is no direct line comparison between baseball and football. There are fundamental building blocks of both football and baseball and I believe the sports can be somewhat compared.
Hits in baseball would correspond to first downs or completed passes in football. A 30% first down rate or completion percentage would be terrible in football but hitting .300 in baseball is elite.

Reactions: DD4ME
Golf is the only game that you have to practice every day just to still suck.
Reminds of me and a buddies argument for High School…. I never liked golf and he would argue that golf was the toughest sport…. I would tell him that it was game and not a sport… He would get so irritated. 😂

We have not even delved into the mental aspects of sports performance. I have heard many say the part that separates a PGA pro and your local course pro is 100% mental. There are many scratch golfers that can lay down competitive rounds that would wilt in a tournament.
I think it was Jack Nicklaus that said something to the effect that the difference between weekend golf and tournament golf is as great as the difference between hockey and... something, something, something...

Reminds of me and a buddies argument for High School…. I never liked golf and he would argue that golf was the toughest sport…. I would tell him that it was game and not a sport… He would get so irritated. 😂
It's a fun claim to get under someone's skin, but blatantly false.

noun
  1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:

No. Pay em.

In fact, Id add in looking at the product that the men put in the court, they should subsidize the women!
If..IF..you really believe this...you are not only dangerously stupid...but criminally as well.

That amounts to theft.

I think you are probably pulling my chain...but with you it is hard to tell.

You'd be better off comparing hole-in-ones to home runs, but even then, hole-in-ones are probably rarer.
The probability of being struck by lighting in a lifetime is lower than hitting a hole in one in a lifetime. I'm sure that probability is higher for professional golfers. Let's ask Lee Trevino.

I don’t mind any player capitalizing on NIL if a collective wants to pay him Knecht type money more power to them, and ours will continue paying smart money for other players. It’s just part of the game now days.
What was Knecht type money? Sorry I'm sure its been discussed a lot but I haven't seen it.

Reactions: jlawso21
The probability of being struck by lighting in a lifetime is lower than hitting a hole in one in a lifetime. I'm sure that probability is higher for professional golfers. Let's ask Lee Trevino.
Which pro golfer was it that said, "It's a funny thing. The more I practice, the luckier I get"? Chi Chi?

If..IF..you really believe this...you are not only dangerously stupid...but criminally as well.

That amounts to theft.

I think you are probably pulling my chain...but with you it is hard to tell.
Listen, if y'all are going to be "pulling each other's chains", I suggest you do that off VN. This is a family site and that perversion, not that I'm judging, will NOT be allowed here.

That's terrible, maybe try books on tape. I told my wife if I ever go blind or something that is what I would have to do.
Thanks for the recommendations.
I do listen to books on tape now, but I have the same problem with those. ..I lose focus after a bit, my mind starts wandering over something that is said...and I have to rewind and listen to what I missed...over and over and over...it is aggravating as heck.

It also effects me watching movies and TV shows...I used to binge watch my favorite shows..but now it takes me a few watches to get through a good movie I enjoy, and sometimes months to finish a season of a series.

It started 3-4 years ago and has gotten severely worse...sucks getting old.

I use to watch Braves daily when they had Maddox, Glavine etc.. My problem with MAJOR LEAGUE baseball now is that you play all those games and it basically means nothing. Now we have wild cards and underserving teams who suddenly become hot win the world series. Yes, the Braves win is part of that, but I don't care for it. I prefer college baseball, now.

All that explaining….

Baseball is still a bore unless there’s someone I am interested in watching to see how they do.

It’s a bore while waiting on them to get an opportunity.

I’m sure there are lots more difficult things than hitting a ball, but not interested in watching that either.

The fun thing about sports is it’s supposed to be fun…. Like football.

Go Vols! 🧡🍊🏈
Iyo, what makes football* more fun and less boring that baseball when football has more downtime than baseball?

*Not in an offense like Heupel's but in standard pro style football.

Last edited:
April 19, 1987
The first Simpson's short

"The very first spot was called “Good Night,” and it aired during the third episode of The Tracey Ullman show. It showed Bart pondering the big questions of the universe. Most people think the mind is a series of impulses, but the young future upstart hungers for something more tangible. His learned (pronounced with one syllable) father, Homer, who would forever be hungry, calms his son by negating all thought with simple word play.

“What is mind,” Homer asks. “No matter. What is matter? Never mind,” he answers, anticipating the anthem album of the slacker generation by several years."

"The Simpsons voices have never changed. Well, Dan Castellaneta’s voice for Homer Simpson wouldn’t pass a vocal recognition detector, but the actor is still doing it. Julie Kavner has always been Marge, Nancy Cartwright is Bart and Yeardley Smith plays Lisa. The original shorts’ cast also included Tracey Ullman, Sam McMurray, and Anna Levine as various Springfielders."

View attachment 635371
I didn't know ol' Homer was a Cartesian! 😂 Of course, Descartes was not a Cartesian. That was quite the stunt he pulled off. Solid joke. Homer's joke is not bad, either.

Thanks, I'd never seen it. I just watched it on youtube.

Last edited:
I use to watch Braves daily when they had Maddox, Glavine etc.. My problem with MAJOR LEAGUE baseball now is that you play all those games and it basically means nothing. Now we have wild cards and underserving teams who suddenly become hot win the world series. Yes, the Braves win is part of that, but I don't care for it. I prefer college baseball, now.
Doesn’t the exact same thing happen in college baseball? And basically every sport where there’s a playoff?

VN Store

Back