Recruiting Football Talk VII

April 19, 1987
The first Simpson's short

"The very first spot was called “Good Night,” and it aired during the third episode of The Tracey Ullman show. It showed Bart pondering the big questions of the universe. Most people think the mind is a series of impulses, but the young future upstart hungers for something more tangible. His learned (pronounced with one syllable) father, Homer, who would forever be hungry, calms his son by negating all thought with simple word play.

“What is mind,” Homer asks. “No matter. What is matter? Never mind,” he answers, anticipating the anthem album of the slacker generation by several years."

"The Simpsons voices have never changed. Well, Dan Castellaneta’s voice for Homer Simpson wouldn’t pass a vocal recognition detector, but the actor is still doing it. Julie Kavner has always been Marge, Nancy Cartwright is Bart and Yeardley Smith plays Lisa. The original shorts’ cast also included Tracey Ullman, Sam McMurray, and Anna Levine as various Springfielders."

1713531262899.png

Accepting your impression for the sake of the argument, it doesn't resolve the issue imo because we are talking about athletics. Big, strong, and fast are athletic qualities. Someone lacking those qualities in a relative sense would likely find hitting a baseball easier, not more difficult. And vice versa. I think the difficulty is relative to the individual. And it is the individual who is an athlete of one type of another. I think a fan's rank ordering of difficulty relates most to the fan's attraction and attention to and love for different types of accomplishment. You would see the problem reproduce itself if we next decided (I don't want to!) to compare difficulty of athletic excellence to the difficulty of being the best in other types of attainment: business, mathematics, philosophy, raising children, literature, performing music, etc., etc.
I have coached Middle school football…. Travel baseball, and ran my own travel basketball program. I,also, coached middle school soccer but that was only bc the kids couldn’t play if i didn’t agree to coach them. That’s just my opinion based on degree of training necessary to be great at each sport. Of course athleticism is the huge separator in all sports. It’s also the traits someone is born with although you can train them to get more athletic.

If you count golf as a sport, a hole-in-one is right up there as well.
For sure. And I certainly would consider golf a sport.
Absolutely one of the rarest things to do in sports.

Hitting a golf ball well, consistently, under pressure - that’s a very difficult thing to do.

Tee up a ball for average Joe and they’ll likely be able to strike it. Poorly, maybe, but strike it nonetheless.
Put average Joe in the batters box, and it’s a different story.

I find the claims of the type "x is the hardest thing to do in sports" to be mostly empty and surely without consequence. The claims can pretty much safely be read as "the sport that includes x is my favorite sport."
It’s not a novel claim. It’s a long standing observation by many who have covered and played.

-QB is the most important position in sports.
-Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing in sports.
-Basketball has the best athletes in sports.

There’s a few of them.

All that explaining….

Baseball is still a bore unless there’s someone I am interested in watching to see how they do.

It’s a bore while waiting on them to get an opportunity.

I’m sure there are lots more difficult things than hitting a ball, but not interested in watching that either.

The fun thing about sports is it’s supposed to be fun…. Like football.

Go Vols! 🧡🍊🏈

Yes, we're currently at 83. But, listening to the radio today, Eric Cain said Eli Herring isn't actually in the portal yet, just announced he plans to enter the portal. In that case, we'd be at 84. To take bodies, we need bodies to leave. I believe 83 is the max we want to be at because of the scholarship reductions. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more attrition.
I think the AD should meet with the ncaa again and declare that there will be no scholarship reduction. Unless they actually punish michigan.
Then inform them that it could be very publicly embarrassing for them if the comparison was made very publicly.
Then walk out without waiting for an answer.

Definitely not that one. Aside from the gorgeous Christie Brinkley in the video, this was a sellout. Now, Captain Jack was a masterpiece.
That one doesn't get stuck in my head either. It was just the first one Sally said was the most likely to get stuck in someone's head.

This one does though 😂:

For sure. And I certainly would consider golf a sport.
Absolutely one of the rarest things to do in sports.

Hitting a golf ball well, consistently, under pressure - that’s a very difficult thing to do.

Tee up a ball for average Joe and they’ll likely be able to strike it. Poorly, maybe, but strike it nonetheless.
Put average Joe in the batters box, and it’s a different story.
Probably easier, tho, to make contact with a baseball, than it is to actually aim a golf ball. It's not the hitting of the golf ball that is difficult. It's the putting it in the hole off of one shot from the tee.

Also, I hate golf.

Reactions: Devo182
I think the AD should meet with the ncaa again and declare that there will be no scholarship reduction. Unless they actually punish michigan.
Then inform them that it could be very publicly embarrassing for them if the comparison was made very publicly.
Then walk out without waiting for an answer.
I'm all for standing up to the NCAA and telling them to get bent, that we punished ourselves enough. But DW is not going to do that.

True, but I was speaking Aidoo here.
My understanding is Awaka did things the right way, informed the coaches in advance as to what he was doing, and they respect that. That's why he's welcome to come back. Aidoo did not do it the right way, and speculation is he wold NOT be welcome back. At least not easily.

VN Store

Back