Recruiting Football Talk VII

The EPL says hi right back.

The EPL is the unquestioned top league in the world's most popular sport, and revenue for the elite clubs is on par with the top NFL clubs. The Big Six EPL teams averaged $684 million in revenue versus $586 million for the typical NFL team.
How are the margins? They pay some of those guys obscene money.

Reactions: drvenner
I agree. But I will say if there is a solid LB and IOL available I can see them at least entertaining it though. Definitely wouldn't hurt. I've heard AP state recently that staff could possibly get 1 or 2 just depends on the situation
I'm probably in the minority but I'm good with the team as is. Would love an established LG but we have 4-5 guys at that position so somebody should be able to step up. The RB injuries are concerning but we run against so many light boxes that I think Keith or Bishop would be fine, even in a temporary role. Hopefully the RB room will be full go by fall camp.

Doubt we add anyone from the portal without somebody leaving. If LWSVOL's calculations are correct and we are currently at 83 scholarships, I think we roll with the team we have.

Just hope everyone gets healthy.
Yes, we're currently at 83. But, listening to the radio today, Eric Cain said Eli Herring isn't actually in the portal yet, just announced he plans to enter the portal. In that case, we'd be at 84. To take bodies, we need bodies to leave. I believe 83 is the max we want to be at because of the scholarship reductions. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more attrition.

Pretty sure it doesn’t have anything to do with intelligence or understanding lol. It just isn’t that exciting to a lot of people.
It doesn’t have anything to do with intelligence.

Plenty of smart people that don’t understand what they’re watching, but it’s not a function of intelligence - it’s a function of interest, and devoting the time to understand it.

Yes, we're currently at 83. But, listening to the radio today, Eric Cain said Eli Herring isn't actually in the portal yet, just announced he plans to enter the portal. In that case, we'd be at 84. To take bodies, we need bodies to leave. I believe 83 is the max we want to be at because of the scholarship reductions. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more attrition.
Even more reason why we won't be bringing anyone in. I think kids are starting to realize (atleast here) that the grass isn't always greener. Still 13 days away tho so we shall see.

How are the margins? They pay some of those guys obscene money.
It's not the wages for PL teams that's the issue. What you are probably thinking of are the Messis and Ronaldos of the world that make obscene wages, or anyone playing in the Saudi League really. As for the PL, the average total roster annual salary is ~$120-$140M. A couple of the top end teams hit just north of $200M. NFL salary cap this year is $255M. So wages ar pretty similar to the NFL on average.

However, NFL teams dominate PL teams in profits and most PL teams are more around break even range. There's multiple other factors around that though besides wages.

Last edited:
All we do is hit dingers!
Serious question because I just started following Vol baseball two years ago, and never been a big MLB fan either. Why do they say our ball park is easy to hit dingers? Is it smaller than your typical college ball park or something?

Side bar: when I lived in Nashville for a few years I became really close friends with James Atkins younger brother. I do remember randomly tuning in to him just dominating the college World Series can’t remember what year. Use to ask his brother a lot of questions about James UT playing days.

why does anyone gaf if these guys gamble? its legal.
Because they can make more money, they don’t want that to happen. It’s not a good look for the sports league when these betting places find out you have athletes cheating them out of their money, especially when partnered

“Hey man, I’m betting on you tonight, if you play poorly and help me win, I’ll split my winnings with you” a lot of influence goes into it as well

The player can purposely play bad for a few games and get his lines to be more appealing, winnings wise. Go from a -200 to a +200.

It's not the wages for PL teams that's the issue. What you are probably thinking of are the Messis and Ronaldos of the world that make obscene wages, or anyone playing in the Saudi League really. As for the PL, the average total roster annual salary is ~$120-$140M. A couple of the top end teams hit just north of $200M. NFL salary cap this year is $255M. So wages aren't even as high as the NFL on average.

However, NFL teams dominate PL teams in profits and most PL teams are more around break even range. There's multiple other factors around that though besides wages.
Don’t PL teams have like a third of the players NFL teams do?

VN Store

Back