Recruiting Football Talk VII

I feel slighted being left off the @ list here :flex:

The data on the Yankees is inaccurate. Lou Gehrig is the greatest Yankee. Let it be written, let it be known.

Some of those are downright laughable.

Johnny Bench > Pete Rose
Ty Cobb >>> Miguel Cabrera (wtf)
Skinny Barry > Honus Wagner
Willie Mays > Fat Barry
Stan Musial > Albert Pujols
No way Gehrig was better than the Babe. Babe Ruth was not only a hitter but one of the best left handed pitchers of his time. Ohtani before Ohtani.

Reactions: WesTnVol and DD4ME
People can find it boring. Nothing wrong with that.

But hitting major league pitching is still the hardest thing to do in sports.
I find the claims of the type "x is the hardest thing to do in sports" to be mostly empty and surely without consequence. The claims can pretty much safely be read as "the sport that includes x is my favorite sport."

2 things I said I would never use regularly, but use all the time after an 80 mile back packing trip.

Crocs (the best general purpose house, camp, or water shoe ever invented, but also the ugliest)

Those long sleeve fishing shirts with the pockets and roll up sleeves.

My pocket shirt eliminates the usefulness of cargo shorts with immensely less weight. Dries fast and covers most weather situations.

Find what you love and don't sweat court of public opinion.
1713526552013.png
These are the best hiking shorts ever. They have the best features of cargo shorts, but with the zippered pockets, you don’t lose anything. They also don’t look like cargo shorts. Wait for a big sale though because they are way overpriced otherwise. The guide pro pants are also really good for hiking, camping, canoeing in cooler conditions.

I find the claims of the type "x is the hardest thing to do in sports" to be mostly empty and surely without consequence. The claims can pretty much safely be read as "the sport that includes x is my favorite sport."
I am involved pretty heavily in three sports: Football, basketball, and baseball.

I think football is the easiest followed by basketball. Baseball(especially hitting) is the hardest, imo…. You don’t have to play football s a kid to be really good… As long as you are big, strong, and fast… you can wait till your a junior/senior in High school and be really good at the sport.. Basketball seems the next easiest but i think that is bc more kids naturally play basketball. Just about every house has a basketball goal. If you don’t start playing baseball young… It is extremely hard to catch up… Its very hard to takes breaks from baseball as well…

View attachment 635360
These are the best hiking shorts ever. They have the best features of cargo shorts, but with the zippered pockets, you don’t lose anything. They also don’t look like cargo shorts. Wait for a big sale though because they are way overpriced otherwise. The guide pro pants are also really good for hiking, camping, canoeing in cooler conditions.
Don’t look like cargo shorts?

Pass.

View attachment 635360
River shorts

I know what he said…. Its just a lot more complicated then putting in the reps since the age of 5. Jordan did play pretty heavily through some of his teen years but gave it up bc basketball was sports…. Others have been pretty dominant at two sports such as Danny Ainge for example. Hitting a baseball at a MLB level is one of the hardest things to do in sports.
With your qualification, I don't see how or why anyone would argue with your last sentence. There are so many different specific aptitudes required for different roles in different sports, along with the love of the different exertions needed to persist in doing the work it takes to be excellent in each. Very few hitters could play CB, for example. In some ways I think aptitudes choose interests. I was at the game where Todd Helton beat Georgia in Athens at QB, btw. It was awesome when he caught them doubting him an cheating up and he connected deep. But he wasn't going to the NFL. I did watch videos of Bo and Deion and MJ when you talked about Bo playing two sports about a month ago. That was fun.

View attachment 635360
I had a pair of EB hikers from when I lived in LebNIN and they had the outlet. I loved them. I love the Outdoor Research Ferrosi's too. They have a zip off, short or straight leg.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
@jave36 literally said "putting in the reps for baseball since he was 5."

Anyway, I looked at the feed of that guy you posted. It's pretty interesting, especially the overlays.
Pitching Ninja is the sh*t! Seeing some of those movements on the pitcher’s pitches is wild. 20 inches of break on some at 90+ mph is insane

With your qualification, I don't see how or why anyone would argue with your last sentence. There are so many different specific aptitudes required for different roles in different sports, along with the love of the different exertions needed to persist in doing the work it takes to be excellent in each. Very few hitters could play CB, for example. In some ways I think aptitudes choose interests. I was at the game where Todd Helton beat Georgia in Athens at QB, btw. It was awesome when he caught them doubting him a cheating up and he connected deep. But he wasn't going to the NFL. I did watch videos of Bo and Deion and MJ when you talked about Bo playing two sports about a month ago. That was fun.
That’s true…. I was more talking about from the youth level on up…. I wish Bo hadn’t been injured…. He was so much fun to watch play.

With your qualification, I don't see how or why anyone would argue with your last sentence. There are so many different specific aptitudes required for different roles in different sports, along with the love of the different exertions needed to persist in doing the work it takes to be excellent in each. Very few hitters could play CB, for example. In some ways I think aptitudes choose interests. I was at the game where Todd Helton beat Georgia in Athens at QB, btw. It was awesome when he caught them doubting him an cheating up and he connected deep. But he wasn't going to the NFL. I did watch videos of Bo and Deion and MJ when you talked about Bo playing two sports about a month ago. That was fun.
The thing of the hardest in sports is put to rest in my mind when you look at the success rate of best players in each sport. The best hitters of all time only experienced success 40% of the time. That would be unacceptable much less elite in anything else.

I am involved pretty heavily in three sports: Football, basketball, and baseball.

I think football is the easiest followed by basketball. Baseball(especially hitting) is the hardest, imo…. You don’t have to play football s a kid to be really good… As long as you are big, strong, and fast… you can wait till your a junior/senior in High school and be really good at the sport.. Basketball seems the next easiest but i think that is bc more kids naturally play basketball. Just about every house has a basketball goal. If you don’t start playing baseball young… It is extremely hard to catch up… Its very hard to takes breaks from baseball as well…
Accepting your impression for the sake of the argument, it doesn't resolve the issue imo because we are talking about athletics. Big, strong, and fast are athletic qualities. Someone lacking those qualities in a relative sense would likely find hitting a baseball easier, not more difficult. And vice versa. I think the difficulty is relative to the individual. And it is the individual who is an athlete of one type of another. I think a fan's rank ordering of difficulty relates most to the fan's attraction and attention to and love for different types of accomplishment. You would see the problem reproduce itself if we next decided (I don't want to!) to compare difficulty of athletic excellence to the difficulty of being the best in other types of attainment: business, mathematics, philosophy, raising children, literature, performing music, etc., etc.

VN Store

Back