Recruiting Football Talk VII

Pretty Holly is a legendary lady vol, but just didn't cut it.

Just looked this up. Not shocking, but still...

The women's NCAA tournament came into existence in 1981-82

From 81-82 until our last championship in 07-08

We won 8 titles and went to 18 final fours

18 final fours in 27 seasons and haven't been back since!? With the best tradition in women's basketball? How bad are Harper and Warlick!?!?! Yes Pat coached four years after that. But it was, 1st round exit, swt 16, Elite 8 and Elite 8 while her brain was deteriorating!

It's the definition of a turn key program. I mean my goodness.
Lol holy crap and never finished worse than the sweet 16 in that first 27 seasons 😄

And here we are struggling for a decade to get out of the first two rounds lol

But you win. I have a target on my back, this conversation has taken a left turn that will probably get me in trouble.
Have fun.
Stop pushing false narratives it’s not about winning arguments im all about great discussion, but im not going to question recruiting in April literally a day after our elite 8 game when the roster is nowhere close to being set..the strategy of recruiting one and done’s in basketball hasn’t worked in almost 10 years and that’s not coincidence smart money is being spent on experience in the transfer portal for a reason.

That’s true, but that’s who we appear to be targeting in the portal. And we have available spots and a lot of freed up NIL funds.

I’m interested to see who we end up with. My guess is it will start with Chaz Lanier and Saint Thomas.
I watched a few of Saint Thomas's games this season. He is a stat sheet stuffer by all means. He could average 18/10/6 easily.

That’s true, but that’s who we appear to be targeting in the portal. And we have available spots and a lot of freed up NIL funds.

I’m interested to see who we end up with. My guess is it will start with Chaz Lanier and Saint Thomas.
Will we be outbid? If you want certain players you’re going to have to pay them now. This is where my issues are. Because a kid wants money doesn’t mean his character and work ethic are poor. It’s Rick’s job to make his teams the best he can and letting a kid slip because he’s not big on NIL is not acceptable. If you see a player who you know will be a fit for your team and could take you to the next level you’re going to have to talk money more often than not. I love Ricks coaching but he needs to be willing to pay when it is necessary.

I would have handled a loss to NC State better than I am with Purdue. We still have the “haven’t been to the Final 4” label on us and it really bothers me. Hate it for Rick, our team, and fan base.

But it’s time to move on to baseball and football because I think we have championship aspirations for both.

I watched a few of Saint Thomas's games this season. He is a stat sheet stuffer by all means. He could average 18/10/6 easily.
They got Knecht selling him right now. And Knecht has bought into Tennessee and Knoxville as much as anyone not named Zakai or Josiah.

Stop pushing false narratives it’s not about winning arguments im all about great discussion, but im not going to question recruiting in April literally a day after our elite 8 game when the roster is nowhere close to being set..the strategy of recruiting one and done’s in basketball hasn’t worked in almost 10 years and that’s not coincidence smart money is being spent on experience in the transfer portal for a reason.
Did I say anything about one and does?
Knecht was a gift, a lot of these kids are trying to get top dollar. They have handlers pushing them in certain directions. To get the Graham Ike and Caleb Love when they enter the portal you're going to have to get in some bidding wars.
What we need is what everybody in the country needs, scoring. To get what you want you gotta play the game.

Reactions: KPT_VFL
But the point I made when NIL started is merely taking the biggest bag upfront is not always the best option for the player. DK was smart- he chose a school that would maximize his talent and worth. That wasn't by taking $500,000 instead of $250,000. That was by taking a decent offer that allowed him to thrive and now become a mid-first round NBA pick. He maximized his value and turned it into millions.

Also, DK, just like Jalin Hyatt, made a whole bunch of money after his performances at UT. Our fanbase provides a huge number of customers that will purchase NIL merchandise. I am guessing that DK has sold thousands of dollars worth of autographs through the Vol Club. It's not just about what a player will receive upfront.
This isn’t always the case though. People point to these situations and they’re probably in the minority of cases. Imagine if Knecht had said “sorry coach I am going to sign with x school because they offer me a little more money upfront” then he still went on and balled out and became a lottery pick because he is just that talented and has that kind of work ethic. Wanting more money doesn’t always mean your work ethic sucks. Knecht situations will be fewer and farther between than the other way around.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
But the point I made when NIL started is merely taking the biggest bag upfront is not always the best option for the player. DK was smart- he chose a school that would maximize his talent and worth. That wasn't by taking $500,000 instead of $250,000. That was by taking a decent offer that allowed him to thrive and now become a mid-first round NBA pick. He maximized his value and turned it into millions.

Also, DK, just like Jalin Hyatt, made a whole bunch of money after his performances at UT. Our fanbase provides a huge number of customers that will purchase NIL merchandise. I am guessing that DK has sold thousands of dollars worth of autographs through the Vol Club. It's not just about what a player will receive upfront.
You're right-- but some players make it about what they can get upfront and sell their services to the highest bidder. Some programs play that game. DK was smart-- but for every DK, there are many more guys who say "show me the money." Some want the money and guaranteed PT. Some don't want to work and earn what other programs are willing to give away. UT, Bama and UK do things differently, because their coaches do things differently.

You're right-- but some players make it about what they can get upfront and sell their services to the highest bidder. Some programs play that game. DK was smart-- but for every DK, there are many more guys who say "show me the money." Some want the money and guaranteed PT. Some don't want to work and earn what other programs are willing to give away. UT, Bama and UK do things differently, because their coaches do things differently.
They also have what we want. Final Fours and National titles

Exactly… Rick needs to open the check book just a tad more on the the recurring trail.

You can use NIL to recruit quality basketball players who are also quality kids character wise who work hard. This is where I think Rick gets in limbo.
Yup. He's been around long enough he knows how the game works. If a kid isn't worth it then don't pay it. But if a kid is then pay what it takes to get him.

Yeah, but how can you NEVER have problems with officiating?

Plenty of people here have a balanced view of these games. It's not always officiating, but literally every single time anyone says anything about it, you leap to defend officiating. Or just argued against people upset about it. Your default is "someone is criticizing officiating!? Sounds like a job for BIG ORANGE TRAIN MAN! Coming to rescue you from pointing out bad officiating!

So...have you ever seen a poorly officiated game? Ever? Or do you admit that you don't have an objective view of these events because you become more concerned with "educating" us over assessing reality?
My thoughts on officiating:

You can accept it entirely and all its deficiencies or you can acknowledge its necessity and impact on the game while also commenting about its deficiencies with the hopes that attention and discussion will at some point lead to incremental changes for better outcomes. Neither is wrong.

It only gets the visceral reaction it does for the same reason that what you hear about politics is mostly negative even though more good is probably done than bad. Your expectation is that it should be good. But define good? Maybe our expectations are too high? Or maybe there is room for improvement.

And maybe, Tennessee would have won the biggest game in program history had the officiating “been better” and not slanted toward a player that can foul without drawing the whistle and then also get preferential treatment by appearing to be fouled because he’s a big fat pu$$y and surely if he doesn’t get his way, because who wouldn’t at 7’4” 300 lbs, it must be a foul on us. Just like maybe they would have if Aidoo didn’t lay a f’ing goose egg and had used proper defending form against edey instead of letting him push him all over the court. Or if Ziegler had had a good day shooting. Or if our hot shooting run came with 8 minutes left in the game instead of in the first half. Or if we had just shot better overall from the floor (we had a worse overall shot percentage than from 3, that’s not normal, means we missed a bunch of 2s - again looking at you Aidoo and Ziegler - can’t afford “off days” this deep in the tournement no matter how good your defense is - which Aidoos was pathetic). Also please. It’s that while I am mad at Aidoo and ZZ for their off day, I also feel bad for them because they must feel awful and by all accounts have given their all for the Vols all year long.

The refs can have cost us the game, as they probably did plenty of other teams that played Purdue this season also, and our players cost us the game too. The two are not mutually exclusive. It’s just easier to control and say the refs could improve than to ensure you have a hot day shooting the ball.

There's no need for this. I did not agree with him in this instance, but he has been reasonable and has brought some good information. I think he was way too harsh on CRB, but saying the above is completely unwarranted, IMO.
Smyrna is fine he just gets emotional.
But look at his history, after going after me, he now is attacking Smyrna. GTV just look for a fight with people he thinks are unliked.

VN Store

Back