Recruiting Football Talk VII

Referees should have to attend a press conference following the games. It's too easy for them to screw a team over, collect their check, and walk out the door. If the media could ask them questions, it might cut down on some of the "shenanigans". The optics would be better.

The referees need to be held more accountable for their actions.
Instead, we get this...
Nothing to see here. (The Naked Gun) | Reaction GIFs

I'm pretty surprised Kellie has been let go. I don't disagree with the decision, but surprised either way.

Will be interesting to see who DW picks.
I won’t celebrate it because she’s a VFL. But it was a necessary change if they want to be serious about competing.

Thanks for giving your all, Kellie.

We do use NIL in both BB programs. CRB just puts a high value on other things and wants to avoid players who are all about the money. People have different feelings about this, but it's how he builds his teams. Knecht was a gift. CRB told him he wasn't going to make it about NIL like other programs and Knecht chose that path. That's the kind of player CRB looks for. It's really a shame we couldn't have had DK for two years... and equally a shame that Santi just didn't have enough left this year.

Where will the points come from? Have to get scorers from the portal.
That’s true, but that’s who we appear to be targeting in the portal. And we have available spots and a lot of freed up NIL funds.

I’m interested to see who we end up with. My guess is it will start with Chaz Lanier and Saint Thomas.

Pretty Holly is a legendary lady vol, but just didn't cut it.

Just looked this up. Not shocking, but still...

The women's NCAA tournament came into existence in 1981-82

From 81-82 until our last championship in 07-08

We won 8 titles and went to 18 final fours

18 final fours in 27 seasons and haven't been back since!? With the best tradition in women's basketball? How bad are Harper and Warlick!?!?! Yes Pat coached four years after that. But it was, 1st round exit, swt 16, Elite 8 and Elite 8 while her brain was deteriorating!

It's the definition of a turn key program. I mean my goodness.

We do use NIL in both BB programs. CRB just puts a high value on other things and wants to avoid players who are all about the money. People have different feelings about this, but it's how he builds his teams. Knecht was a gift. CRB told him he wasn't going to make it about NIL like other programs and Knecht chose that path. That's the kind of player CRB looks for. It's really a shame we couldn't have had DK for two years... and equally a shame that Santi just didn't have enough left this year.
All understandable to want guys who aren’t all about money but something will have to give. Certain players know their worth and others are delusional. It’s a fine line. Rick could open it up more lets be honest. We shouldn’t be out recruited with our resources by many people. It’s a balancing act for sure. Knecht as you said was an absolute gift. Not all elite players will be like that. Most players want money. It’s ridiculous what kids ask for. Some are however worth it.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Harper had to go. I hate to see it happen, especially to a VFL, but the program was taking a back slide. That said, I am surprised it happened, but I think it’s DW sending a message that TN won’t accept anything below elite. Now, back the dump truck up to Dawn Staley and let her bring back the glory days of the LV program.

Reactions: ugg
But the point I made when NIL started is merely taking the biggest bag upfront is not always the best option for the player. DK was smart- he chose a school that would maximize his talent and worth. That wasn't by taking $500,000 instead of $250,000. That was by taking a decent offer that allowed him to thrive and now become a mid-first round NBA pick. He maximized his value and turned it into millions.

Also, DK, just like Jalin Hyatt, made a whole bunch of money after his performances at UT. Our fanbase provides a huge number of customers that will purchase NIL merchandise. I am guessing that DK has sold thousands of dollars worth of autographs through the Vol Club. It's not just about what a player will receive upfront.

VN Store

Back