Recruiting Football Talk VII

This is crazy but it’s also a testament to how QB is such a system specific position.

Troy Aikman was hovering on bust status until he ended up in Norv Turners offense and while it might seem blasphemous - Joe Montana likely is an average at best QB if he didn’t get paired with the WCO.

I’d be curious to see how the top 5, by 247 rankings, QBs in the past few years have panned out.

Edit: just looked at 247 top 5 QBs from the 22, 21, 20 class. They seem to pan out at a much higher clip in college.

Bryce Young, Caleb Williams, CJ Stroud, JJ McCarthy, Sam Ewers, Walker Howard etc were all listed.

Most notable bust seems to be Ty Simpson and I’m mostly referring to him that was because I want to.

Yep
Really depends on the offense and coaching
I never understood trying to get a guy that just doesn’t fit the offense they run

He started travel at 9…. I told him that he didn’t play travel ball…. He stated he really wanted to play…. i don’t think he is burnt out…. I feel that he is just so afraid of failing that it makes him timid…. I’m not sure how to work that out of him.

I understand the anxiety. It can really get to a person. You know as well as me that the travel world is high pressure. Doesn't even feel fun at times.

My middle turns 9 tomorrow and I've held off to this point. It's his favorite sport and he's pretty good at it, so I know it's coming. I wish I knew when the right time was.

I hope that it works out for him soon!

While you guys were fretting seeding I watched Scottie fire a 64 to come back from 5 shots down to win the Players Championship! That dude is really really good!

Also if you haven't seen Wyndam Clark's last putt lip out to miss out on playoff, you need to see it. It was brutal!

Got to give it to him though, even after that heartbreaking miss on 18, he was seen signing autographs for kids before going to do interviews!

While you guys were fretting seeding I watched Scottie fire a 64 to come back from 5 shots down to win the Players Championship! That dude is really really good!

Also if you haven't seen Wyndam Clark's last putt lip out to miss out on playoff, you need to see it. It was brutal!

Got to give it to him though, even after that heartbreaking miss on 18, he was seen signing autographs for kids before going to do interviews!
All true.

Scottie is great. And the only reason he was 5 shots down was neck problems all week. Talk about good--being within striking distance with neck issues in your swing.

Also... That lip out was brutal. He started the fist pump, paused, then deflated.

Okay guys … spring practice is upon us. Cease all boring basketball, baseball and idiotic women’s basketball talk until further notice.

6bc154ad6242c9fa7161768503bcda28.gif

All true.

Scottie is great. And the only reason he was 5 shots down was neck problems all week. Talk about good--being within striking distance with neck issues in your swing.

Also... That lip out was brutal. He started the fist pump, paused, then deflated.

The physics of a sphere moving around the inside of a cylinder are perplexing.

This is crazy but it’s also a testament to how QB is such a system specific position.

Troy Aikman was hovering on bust status until he ended up in Norv Turners offense and while it might seem blasphemous - Joe Montana likely is an average at best QB if he didn’t get paired with the WCO.

I’d be curious to see how the top 5, by 247 rankings, QBs in the past few years have panned out.

Edit: just looked at 247 top 5 QBs from the 22, 21, 20 class. They seem to pan out at a much higher clip in college.

Bryce Young, Caleb Williams, CJ Stroud, JJ McCarthy, Sam Ewers, Walker Howard etc were all listed.

Most notable bust seems to be Ty Simpson and I’m mostly referring to him that was because I want to.

IMO, in addition it clearly points to how orgs throw them into action way too soon compared to generations in the past.

Which is why I am thrilled Hendon is sitting behind Goff. Maybe they keep Goff for 5 more years - who knows? But Hendon will have time to grow in his understanding of the game, the speed, the reads, the leadership, etc. before moving on as a potential starter for somebody else.

Why was Rodgers so successful? I contend because he sat behind Favre. Why was Love successful? Sitting behind Rodgers. It's the right way to do it IMO. It makes sense for the same process to work in college as Heup showed the same restraint last season.

IMO, in addition it clearly points to how orgs throw them into action way too soon compared to generations in the past.

Which is why I am thrilled Hendon is sitting behind Goff. Maybe they keep Goff for 5 more years - who knows? But Hendon will have time to grow in his understanding of the game, the speed, the reads, the leadership, etc. before moving on as a potential starter for somebody else.

Why was Rodgers so successful? I contend because he sat behind Favre. Why was Love successful? Sitting behind Rodgers. It's the right way to do it IMO. It makes sense for the same process to work in college as Heup showed the same restraint last season.
Organizations want to sell tickets… and the rookie QB is the most popular guy on the roster.

Unless Favre and Rodgers are on the roster I guess.

I don't recall a UT basketball team whose fortunes depended so heavily on one player. Maybe the early-80s teams with Dale Ellis. The Allan Houston teams weren't good enough to matter. I wasn't around for the Ernie and Bernie teams.

If Knecht has a mediocre game, the Vols are toast against most good teams. If he strings together 6 great games -- which he's done this year -- UT has a good a chance as anybody to win it all. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. Nobody else has proven they can carry this team. They are all complimentary pieces to him.

Based on the last several pages, it looks like everyone agrees that Vescovi has completely dropped off, which is part of the reason for some of the challenges we have in games when DK isn't "on"... Here's a kid who came in as a freshman and the first two seasons was lighting it up... now he plays hot potato and will do almost anything not to have to shoot the ball, even when he's 5 feet from the basket... he'll just dish it out...

I'm afraid it's too late in the season, but Vescovi and JJJ will have to step up, along with Gainey having 8-10 pt games in order for us to push past the round of 16... Heck, Awaka needs to take that next step and start playing smarter and more consistent, as he's going to play a much bigger role next season. If we can get a few games from Awaka like he played against KY, Vescovi and JJJ show up, Gainey is good for some points, then we are an elite 8 lock and potentially more...

Still so crazy to see all the talent we have, yet it's rarely every fully utilized or comes together...

Listened to the Sports Source broadcast and the overwhelming opinion on Barnes in the post season is he works his teams too hard mentally and physically in the post season, and he tries to do too much coaching that does not make sense.

I don't recall a UT basketball team whose fortunes depended so heavily on one player. Maybe the early-80s teams with Dale Ellis. The Allan Houston teams weren't good enough to matter. I wasn't around for the Ernie and Bernie teams.

If Knecht has a mediocre game, the Vols are toast against most good teams. If he strings together 6 great games -- which he's done this year -- UT has a good a chance as anybody to win it all. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. Nobody else has proven they can carry this team. They are all complimentary pieces to him.
The mark of a good player is to try and shoot out of this mediocrity l, but the great players utilize what is given to them. He is double teamed then allow the person who is open to get the chance. Pass it into the block to Aidoo or let Gainey fill up from 3. Maybe JJJ will take some actions like Knecht and fill up a box score. We have 5 maybe 6 games left for these seniors; it's time

The common theme in football is Great QBs don't have a game plan after they view the defense, if it's man they find the hot read and the mismatch, if it's zone they find the soft spot to the wide open man.

They need to work on using Knecht to get guys open early versus the other way around. The ball should come back to him only after other teams are playing honest. We need ZZ, Vescovi, and JJJ involved.

Barnes needs to tell those guys to shoot too. The play is to you, you better shoot.

VN Store

Back