Recruiting Football Talk VII

He’s gettin bigger 😍
tenor.gif

I saw the end of that game. Gottshall was throwing smoke with great control. I don't follow them closely, but from what CKW says there I would guess that Gottshall has been moved from starter to relief. Is that right? Vitello did that with Burns last year, and he really closed out some games for us decisively.

Last edited:
You know, I feel sure, that is the way to make red eye gravy: deglaze the country ham frying pan with strong coffee.
Never made that, but there was a marinade I was supposed to use for some beef ribs I was smoking and it called for coffee in its ingredients. I didn’t make enough to mop all the way and on the spur of the moment mixed coffee and Sweet Baby Ray’s. I thought it was better than what I had painstakingly made…by a lot.

On the corporal punishment topic I have hit my kids with hand, belt or whatever. I found though that correction could.be achieved in more constructive ways when my EQ was higher.

I know that the times my dad felt the need to "whip" me had more to do with his EQ than my inability to take correction.

I think what is missing today is not the rod, but consistent accountability.

For many we take the one as the other, but it doesn't have to be.
I was a... let's say... rambunctious kid and my dad exercised correction by means of spanking: just the hand for run of the mill in the moment whacks, escalating through switches and the belt for more serious offenses, and all the way up to a couple school-style paddles he kept in the garage (he was a teacher back when they still did that). One of those damn paddles had a bunch of holes drilled in it and I swear that sumbitch whistled on its way to your ass. And those things hurt like hell.

But I specifically remember as a kid making decisions on whether to engage in an activity I knew would get my ass beat, and I remember damn near every time thinking what the hell, it'll only hurt for a while.

So as a parent, aside from any moral or philosophical arguments regarding spanking, I always had practical doubts about its effectiveness. What worked on me was taking away things that were meaningful to me, favorite toys when I was little, all the way up to my car keys when I was older. That's worked well on my kids too.

I was a... let's say... rambunctious kid and my dad exercised correction by means of spanking: just the hand for run of the mill in the moment whacks, escalating through switches and the belt for more serious offenses, and all the way up to a couple school-style paddles he kept in the garage (he was a teacher back when they still did that). One of those damn paddles had a bunch of holes drilled in it and I swear that sumbitch whistled on its way to your ass. And those things hurt like hell.

But I specifically remember as a kid making decisions on whether to engage in an activity I knew would get my ass beat, and I remember damn near every time thinking what the hell, it'll only hurt for a while.

So as a parent, aside from any moral or philosophical arguments regarding spanking, I always had practical doubts about its effectiveness. What worked on me was taking away things that were meaningful to me, favorite toys when I was little, all the way up to my car keys when I was older. That's worked well on my kids too.
Didn't beat you hard enough...

Past and passed still confuse me sometimes.
tl;dr It's ****** up.

I had to relearn it, too. I try to keep it straight by remembering that "past" can occur as four different parts of speech (noun, adjective, adverb, and preposition), but never as a verb. But "passed" is only and always a past tense of the verb "pass."

We passed (v.) a car. We passed (v.) on the offer.

We drove past (adv.) [how we drove] a car in the past (n.) at half past (prep.) noon, as we had done on other past (adj.) occasions. Never a verb.

Last edited:
Never made that, but there was a marinade I was supposed to use for some beef ribs I was smoking and it called for coffee in its ingredients. I didn’t make enough to mop all the way and on the spur of the moment mixed coffee and Sweet Baby Ray’s. I thought it was better than what I had painstakingly made…by a lot.
That's how cooking works imo.

Delta dust with a bulb applicator.
Listen to this man
Huge European hornets nest in crawlspace once
Saw it and a Godly fear crept over my soul
Retreated and closed cs door
Went around house blasting delta dust in every crawlspace vent
True deadly situation requires breaking out the big guns

Those teachers got creative with their paddles too. My 5th grade teacher had a paddle he kept hanging on a nail by the door. It was red white and blue with "board of education" printed on it. 🤣

I downloaded a new app on my phone that claims to be able to detect when I am hungry. I was pretty skeptical about it, but sure enough, when I got hungry at work yesterday, the app contacted a local restaurant to call me to see what I wanted to eat. The app is called Onion Rings.

ok, someone feel free to move this to a 'landscaping' group. 😁
With my 7 acres, I remain amazed at how much maintenance is involved (got three horses and two mini cows on the land). Current Issue: Tons of Volunteer Growth trees. How do I remove them (root and all)? I don't want to leave 100s of stumps around.
Bush hog

VN Store

Back