Recruiting Football Talk VII

DeChambeau had to have been juicing a few years ago. He was noticeably smaller at Augusta this year.
He deliberately lost the weight to become a more complete golfer. He bulked up so he could hit the ball with a 200 MPH ball speed. He used a driver that was 48-49 inches for the clubhead speed. It made everyone else try the same thing and the PGA and RNA limited the driver length to 46 inches. Now they're working on rolling back the distance by changing the ball. Sad times for the game.

I don't think he'd be nearly as successful today. In his day, athletes weren't playing baseball. It was closer to high school today than MLB today.

I do consider bat speed, strength, hand eye coordination part of athleticism though. I don't consider baseball players (or wrestlers, or gymnasts, etc...) less of an athlete because they're slow and have terrible 40 times. Just different kind of athleticism.
You really need to stop talking about baseball and maybe football too. In Babe Ruth’s day baseball was the only game in town and all the best athletes were playing it. High school level? Your right about high but it aint school, it’s you.

I have not once said it’s the pinnacle of athletic or competitive difficulty.

I disagree on the better results part and my quote was directly correlated to the amount of luck regarding the sports I quoted.
No one has. He’s simply created a strawman he feels comfortable attacking.

I don't think he ever displayed the discipline needed to adapt and be elite in an environment like today, right? I could be wrong, but everything I read about him said he just showed up and was better than everyone else willing to play baseball at the time.

There's no way that attitude and approach would work today. I very well could have a flawed opinion of him, but what little I've read suggested he would not have done well in the insanely competitive meritocracy of competitive sports today. Natural ability isn't all you need anymore.
Well you read your high school drama teacher’s notes and and she didn’t know her butt hole from a beehive.

You really need to stop talking about baseball and maybe football too. In Babe Ruth’s day baseball was the only game in town and all the best athletes were playing it. High school level? Your right about high but it aint school, it’s you.
Why can't you just converse and disagree with someone like a mature adult? Just say why you think I'm wrong, you act like I kicked your dog or something. Grow up man.

I don't think he'd be nearly as successful today. In his day, athletes weren't playing baseball. It was closer to high school today than MLB today.

I do consider bat speed, strength, hand eye coordination part of athleticism though. I don't consider baseball players (or wrestlers, or gymnasts, etc...) less of an athlete because they're slow and have terrible 40 times. Just different kind of athleticism.
Interesting. You say it was closer to high school level? Please elaborate. Show me the guy that matches Ruth’s abilities on the mound and in the batters box. Show me a pure hitter that’s as good as Maria or Williams.

I am sorry but you are wrong. Regardless of eras, generational players can play in any era. Think about Ruth with today’s state of the art medical and recovery techniques. Imagine guys like Ty Cobb with today’s bats, things used to help hitters and state of the art training facilities. You are assuming those all time greats wouldn’t be that great with all these advances?

VN Store

Back