Recruiting Football Talk VII

Get outta here with that. Closer to HS baseball? Recency bias is a thing. If he were born in this era, he would no doubt succeed. He would adapt as any elite player in any sport would in any era.
I don't think he ever displayed the discipline needed to adapt and be elite in an environment like today, right? I could be wrong, but everything I read about him said he just showed up and was better than everyone else willing to play baseball at the time.

There's no way that attitude and approach would work today. I very well could have a flawed opinion of him, but what little I've read suggested he would not have done well in the insanely competitive meritocracy of competitive sports today. Natural ability isn't all you need anymore.

I got bumps and bruises playing baseball. I broke my leg playing football.
I saw the most horrific injury I have ever seen in sports in baseball. I had a kid that threw 90+ and we were playing on Friday night. We were playing in a tournament on the weekend. It had been raining and #1 hadn’t pitched in a while.
I put him put him in in the last inning in a blowout to knock the rust off a little. He was warming and the ball was whistling. The first batter squared to bunt but missed cause the pitch was low and away.
On the next pitch he leans out over the plate to bunt again but the pitch was up and it hit him square in the face. He nose was nonexistent. It was horrible.
We played them the next week and his nose was still bleeding. Needed crazy surgeries. He was a great kid too.

I don't get it either..our pitching is not horrid, but it's not elite either. I think newer fans compare it to our staff a couple of years ago and think that was "normal"...nothing about that team was normal.

That team was one of the best ever...it sucks that people do not realize that fact, simply because baseball is a fickle hellish ***ch sometimes and weird things like that team NOT winning the CWS happens.
A.J. Russell being injured has hampered the pitching staff. The guy is a legit Friday Night Starter.

I could hit a major league pitch by pure luck more often than I could ever complete a pass as an NFL qb or score a goal in La Liga.

Better yet...winning a race in any olympic sport. The average person would never ever ever ever ever ever be capable. Ever. Hitting a ball is doable though...hell just bunt it.

Not saying it isn't tough, but the "hardest thing to do in sports" not even close. Hell, let's see anyone do a 1080 on a halfpipe.....or even get up the halfpipe 😅
The logic is there. I can see flames and pitch forks rising though.

Reactions: jave36
That's nuts. Can't believe it wasn't with ole miss though. Much better exposure for the brand.
FedEx is based in Memphis and is already very active in the community and with the school. A huge part of their local work force are Memphis fans. Would make zero sense to pump money to Ole Miss.

I don't think he ever displayed the discipline needed to adapt and be elite in an environment like today, right? I could be wrong, but everything I read about him said he just showed up and was better than everyone else willing to play baseball at the time.

There's no way that attitude and approach would work today. I very well could have a flawed opinion of him, but what little I've read suggested he would not have done well in the insanely competitive meritocracy of competitive sports today. Natural ability isn't all you need anymore.
That really depends on how much natural ability you have. Luka does less time on the treadmill than I do. Does just fine.

Hitting a hole in one is an incredibly rare event - even for professionals.

But average Joe could hit the golf ball, maybe even down the fairway 1 out of 5 times.

Average Joe cannot swing the bat and hit major league pitching. That’s just not happening.
I don’t think the average (or good for that matter) non-baseball player athlete can hit good high school pitching.

VN Store

Back