Recruiting Concerns

Question :1 I don't see why not....with the exception of KLS this year, Breanna Stewart, and KML...Tenn has always been in the top 5 school list of the 1st or 2nd best players in the country. Those 3 wanted to go to UCONN point, blank, period! We competed for Russell and got her....we had Davis, we had DeShields....Tenn was in Durr's top 5 and Aja Wilson's top 5 as well.

Question 2 :Considering Holly and her assistants can't get on the floor and keep Allysa Thomas from driving to the basket at will or Holly and her crew from making easy baskets against Louisville, I'd have to say no...I don't blame any losses in the Tournament on Holly and Co.

Reactions: 3 people
Question 3: Going into the tournament with our record without Izzy, Mercedes for the whole year, Jasmine Jones, and Jannah Tucker, I'm extremely proud of what these ladies have been able to accomplish.

Question 4: I believe we don't lose against Texas, Chatt and SC (both times) if we had Izzy and Jones!!!, just can't see it....we got killed by rebounds...Izzy and Jones take care of that problem hands down!

Reactions: 4 people
UCONN and UK are the dynasty's for now in BB. No other coaches or schools are out recruiting them. It may come out later that both are cheats like Syracuse, and UNC. But as for Holly for now she is holding her own. Unless you can find a guaranteed upgrade Holly needs to stay until she proves she is not the one.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree with you that Welch is not a post player she plays the 3. But here is what set`s her apart from Graves Welch has better leaping ability and is stronger on the boards. Now if you throw Jones into the mix it gets a little closer. Jones can match Welch in leaping ability and on the boards. But the problem with Jones is like Graves when she arrived at Tenn she was a one dimensional player. But i do agree Jones might be better at the 4.

I think Bashaara can stand her own with Welch on the boards. Bashaara may not be able to jump, but she's taller, she's strong, and she knows how to box out. Welch was able to go to town with rebounds because Tennessee was running a 3 guard lineup and only had 2 rebounders on the court.

As for Jones, I can see why Holly was trying to play her at the 3. With her height, length and athleticism, she has the tools to be an excellent wing. But her ball handling and low bball IQ hurts the offense when she's on the perimeter. If she developed into a strong wing, she would have better pro prospects. As it stands now, Tennessee will need her at the high post for the next 2 years.

I don't see 4 more wins with Jones and the AA Harrison. Jones became "prone" to injuries and seemingly rarely finished a game oddly enough. (Her mother played much tougher in her day at Alabama.)

The refs severely and cruelly limited Harrison's minutes and space on the floor.

With the 2, some victories might have been by larger margins.

With Harrison on the floor, I think Tennessee would have at least split with South Carolina. A frontline of Burdick, Graves and Izzy would have limited SC's offensive rebounds and provided more interior defense. Based on how the games played out, I could see them stealing the game in Columbia and losing in the SEC tournament.

With Izzy in the lineup, the absence of Jones was not that glaring, and it gave Cierra the opportunity to rise to the challenge and some valuable minutes for Jaime. Once Izzy was injured, that's when Jones' absence became damaging.

She missed on that girl that went to Stanford and became their first All American and is now a coach at the U of San Fran.

Azzi was never a high recruiting priority for Pat. Whether she should have been is another discussion....

Never thought recruiting was ever an issue with Holly..... she has gotten some good talent to KVille....

Jennifer Azzy went to Stanford yes. I never blame anyone who chooses Stanford over any school.

One thing i never knew was why Nina Davis of Memphos and Baylor U never had Lady Vols on her list....

As opposed to South Carolina, which starts 3 guards with 2 rebounders on the court....

Mitchell is a better rebounding guard than any of the Tennessee guards. SC also had the luxury of playing Welch, Wilson and Ibiam/Coates at the same time.

But please...do continue to pretend that Tennessee missing their leading rebounder and interior presence had nothing to do with the ease in which SC grabbed offensive rebounds.

Gosh Darn it. I am just so concerned about how Hawlee is doing in that thar recrootin'.

Why, other players are going to other teams, like that gal who like dribbles and shoots and stuff. Why didn't Holly git her?. I mean she is doing so terra, uh tearab, uh tehabbul, uh she is doing really bad. I remember when Pat Sumat signed everyone and others team would come to the gym and their coach would say we can't play cause we don't have any players cause you signed em all!

Why can't Holee, Hoolie, uh the gal who is coaching them tall womin vols who is doing like really tera, uh bad, you know who I am talking about , why can't she sign everyone? We need a coach who can recroot real good. Trust me, I am an expurt.

Reactions: 2 people
UCONN and UK are the dynasty's for now in BB. No other coaches or schools are out recruiting them. It may come out later that both are cheats like Syracuse, and UNC. But as for Holly for now she is holding her own. Unless you can find a guaranteed upgrade Holly needs to stay until she proves she is not the one.

So are you implying that because you're great for an extended period of time, you're a cheat? If so, Lady Vols day may be coming soon. If not, sorry I misinterpreted your statement.

As for holly, I agree with you. She hasn't done anything to prove she's the best nor the worst coach for the job.

The grass isn't always greener.

Last edited:
just as long as it is UConn,eeew i feel dirty just for typing that name :) and yes,it is implied

I personally would like to see what CHW could do with a healthy team for a whole year,that seems to be a hard deal to come by since she took over for the Legend of Womens Basketball

Truth is, the Lady Vols are a shadow of who they used to be, and you can say "There's more competition today..." but it hasn't hurt UConn. Actually, Holly is going to get her chance. It won't be meted out by contributors on this or any forum but in front of the nation. I for one don't think she can get the job done. I like her but I don't think she ever wins a national championship. She may not even win the SEC again!

Truth is, the Lady Vols are a shadow of who they used to be, and you can say "There's more competition today..." but it hasn't hurt UConn. Actually, Holly is going to get her chance. It won't be meted out by contributors on this or any forum but in front of the nation. I for one don't think she can get the job done. I like her but I don't think she ever wins a national championship. She may not even win the SEC again!

So far she batting 100 on the SEC. Regular season champs then tourney champs then her third year tied for regular season champs.

Actually I have a great life and if you check I am all in with BJ. I spend my time on the golf course and my boat so life is pretty good. I do not like DT nor HW because they really have shown me nothing. Holly took over an elite program still with PS recruits and has done nothing but disappoint. As to DT if any coach had recruited like him and produced the product he did most would be calling for his head. I just don't get the attraction to this cheater who talks a good game but hasn't even laid a foundation at Tennessee. Those two mid majors or lower level schools he coached are just that, lower level and mid major. I have no intentions of going anywhere.

Fiji Tennessee is an elite program and the team Holly took over was elite but what is your definition of the word "elite". The last 4 years for Pat after winning her last national championship, her team was knocked out in the 1st round, followed by an sweet 16 exit and her two final years were elite 8 finishes. Holly finished the following season with an elite 8 finish and last year with a sweet 16 finish and her point guard not having played the last the last 2 months of the season due to a concussion. So what part of an "elite" team that she took over that I am missing. Holly has finished similarly to Pat from when she took over and this year's team is missing Russell, Jones and Izzy and still has a shot at an elite 8 or final 4. Some of you guys just need to allow the coach to do her thing. She finished the season with as co-SEC champions and a #2 seed in the tournament. It is going to take time to knock off a team like UConn but in the next two years many of you saying she is a terrible coach will be saying what a great coach Holly is and you knew she would be great all along AFTER she wins it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Laughable and clueless post. Shadow of who they used to be? Under Pat the Lady Vols averaged 5.5 losses per year. What???? You mean Pat lost games. Don't believe it? Go look it up. We don't win 'em all and never have. You are correct in that UCONN hasn't been fazed with the outstanding competition they play each week. :no: Let's see how UCONN does if Geno is diagnosed with early onset dementia and Chris takes over. How do you think they would do then?

Reactions: 6 people
We are better this year than we've been in a while, even with the injuries. The program isn't where it was in that it's been a LONG time since we've been to a Final Four. The program's slippage started years ago, under PS. Assuming we stay at our current level of competitiveness, we will almost always make the Sweet 16 as we start the tournament by playing two lower-seed teams at home. The true test of a program's stature is doing well in the regionals and, of course, final four. That's where we have fallen off. If we were a 9/10 program for a long time, we've been around 7 for several years. This year with a full squad we'd be 8.5, still missing champion guard play and a bona-fide scorer.

Laughable and clueless post. Shadow of who they used to be? Under Pat the Lady Vols averaged 5.5 losses per year. What???? You mean Pat lost games. Don't believe it? Go look it up. We don't win 'em all and never have. You are correct in that UCONN hasn't been fazed with the outstanding competition they play each week. :no: Let's see how UCONN does if Geno is diagnosed with early onset dementia and Chris takes over. How do you think they would do then?

I'll tell you what is laughable is how bad we get beat when we play UConn, Notre Dame, etc and now w can't even beat SC. if it wasn't so sad it'd sure be funny, trouble is no one in Tn is laughing. Just watch the tournament

It's very clear that no matter what she does, Holly will never be able to please some people. They have to criticize everything about her, her coaching, what she does with her hands, how she stands, sits, eats, sleeps, and ties her shoes.

Reactions: 8 people
another troll on ignore.

So Senior Members, or ones with a high number of posts or ones that agree with your point of view are the ONLY ones that have a "view" or "points" to make about the Lady Vols??
Get over yourself!
CHW is NOT going to get it done!
You can blame whatever and/or bury your head in the sand.
That doesn't mean I can't go to the games, hoot and holler and hope for the best! Butt I faced reality some time ago and I will give my opinion whether I am TROLLing OR NOT!!
Ignore if you want............. :hi:

So Senior Members, or ones with a high number of posts or ones that agree with your point of view are the ONLY ones that have a "view" or "points" to make about the Lady Vols??
Get over yourself!
CHW is NOT going to get it done!
You can blame whatever and/or bury your head in the sand.
That doesn't mean I can't go to the games, hoot and holler and hope for the best! Butt I faced reality some time ago and I will give my opinion whether I am TROLLing OR NOT!!
Ignore if you want............. :hi:

Ok then....ignored!

Mitchell is a better rebounding guard than any of the Tennessee guards.

That's not accurate.

But please...do continue to pretend that Tennessee missing their leading rebounder and interior presence had nothing to do with the ease in which SC grabbed offensive rebounds.

I'm not pretending Izzy wasn't missed at all. I'm also not pretending SC didn't have nearly as much ease grabbing offensive rebounds in the rematch, despite Graves being limited by foul trouble....

That's not accurate.

Considering that Tiffany grabbed as many rebounds in the two H2H games as Tennessee's trio of guards combined, then I'd say that Tiffany Mitchell is a better rebounder than any of Tennessee's guards.

I'm not pretending Izzy wasn't missed at all. I'm also not pretending SC didn't have nearly as much ease grabbing offensive rebounds in the rematch, despite Graves being limited by foul trouble....

So you're surprised that SC was still able to to control the boards against Tennessee with their leading rebounder out with injury and her backup on the bench in foul trouble?

Reactions: 1 person
Considering that Tiffany grabbed as many rebounds in the two H2H games as Tennessee's trio of guards combined, then I'd say that Tiffany Mitchell is a better rebounder than any of Tennessee's guards.

So Tennessee's trio of guards are all individually better rebounders than Wilson? Can't argue with that logic.

So you're surprised that SC was still able to to control the boards against Tennessee with their leading rebounder out with injury and her backup on the bench in foul trouble?

No, I'm surprised the vaunted USC frontcourt didn't outrebound them by 20. They outrebounded them by 6, hardly a domination like the first game, and it likely would have been closer had Graves not been taken out of the game.

VN Store

Back