Recruiting Concerns

Only one was a five and that is Russell. Plus it was not this year's roster that was lacking it is next year's as you can't always project injuries. I think you should carry five or six posts for that very reason. Next season Russel is our only five coming off injury and then we have Graves and Moore not enough to compete with all the bigs South Carolina has on their roster. We need more post players to rebound with them they beat us twice because of their advantage on the boards.
Holly has tried to up her roster of post players both seasons she has missed on every post players she was recruiting.

5 or 6 posts (if you don't consider Graves a post) is unheard of. Even SC this year with their monster frontcourt only had 4 (Ibiam, Coates, Wilson and little used White).

Next year will be unusually light, but if not for the injuries to Harrison, Jones and Russell, then Tennessee would have been more than adequate at post depth this year.

Reactions: 1 person
South Carolina loses Welch and Ibiam next year. Welch is a pretty key player for them in my opinion. She really hurt us in the game in Columbia and her absence really showed in SC's loss at Kentucky. She was out that game with a stomach illness I believe.

Last edited:
You must have a miserable life or you are a troll. You never have anything good to say about any Vol team. Crawl in your hole and don't come out.

Actually I have a great life and if you check I am all in with BJ. I spend my time on the golf course and my boat so life is pretty good. I do not like DT nor HW because they really have shown me nothing. Holly took over an elite program still with PS recruits and has done nothing but disappoint. As to DT if any coach had recruited like him and produced the product he did most would be calling for his head. I just don't get the attraction to this cheater who talks a good game but hasn't even laid a foundation at Tennessee. Those two mid majors or lower level schools he coached are just that, lower level and mid major. I have no intentions of going anywhere.

Reactions: 2 people
5 or 6 posts (if you don't consider Graves a post) is unheard of. Even SC this year with their monster frontcourt only had 4 (Ibiam, Coates, Wilson and little used White).

Next year will be unusually light, but if not for the injuries to Harrison, Jones and Russell, then Tennessee would have been more than adequate at post depth this year.

Where do you see that I do not consider Graves a post. She is a 4 however not a five. Summit always had five to six post players when she coached at Tennessee. Were playing small this tournament because of injuries. If we had an additional post player we wouldn't be.
To add Holly was trying to get the number to six for next season. She failed to get anyone she was recruiting. Now she is trying to get a JC. She understands the numbers she needs but has failed to get any of the players that play inside.

Evidently you don't consider Welch a post for SC.

Last edited:
It would be one thing if all these negative posters had just joined VolNation because their mother bought them a laptop for their birthday and they decided to post junior high school content simply because they could get away with it but that doesn't appear to be the case. What I find remarkable is that some of these posters have been members for years and have posted thousands of times.
Yet, as far as Holly and recruiting goes, they're clueless.

They seem to forget CHW is following a legend and her top recruits are recovering from injuries. :shakehead:

Reactions: 3 people
Actually I have a great life and if you check I am all in with BJ. I spend my time on the golf course and my boat so life is pretty good. I do not like DT nor HW because they really have shown me nothing. Holly took over an elite program still with PS recruits and has done nothing but disappoint. As to DT if any coach had recruited like him and produced the product he did most would be calling for his head. I just don't get the attraction to this cheater who talks a good game but hasn't even laid a foundation at Tennessee. Those two mid majors or lower level schools he coached are just that, lower level and mid major. I have no intentions of going anywhere.
You are either just trying to start a fight on here or you are JUST PLAIN NUTS

Gosh the way some of you talk, you'd think we better just go ahead and shut the program down.

It has been readily discussed that Dangerfield has stated it has been her dream to play for UCONN.

What has Holly done recruiting wise?? Oh lets see... Well she signed the #1 recruit in the country last year in Russell... oh and then there's the National Freshman Player of the Year in DeShields... oh and then there's this girl they say may be pretty good named Te'a Cooper.

You guys make me sick. Holly sucks. Holly is horrible. Holly can't coach. Go find another team to support if you hate her so much.

I have overreacted several times when it comes to Holly, but the Pat era is over and there is more competition for women basketball players then there was during most of Pat's coaching career. Today high school girls have more choices. No matter what we think other teams are going to go after top Tennesse state recruits. Teams with established winning head coaches are always going to have a leg up on Holly, or any other coach in her situation, until she can convince recruits that they have just as good of a chance to win an NCAA title, as a Lady Vol, as any other team in the country.

Now I do worry about Holly's demeanor when she is talking to the media because she is not very impressive, especially when compared to the other coaches of the top WBB programs. As is true in other businesses, you must impress to get the best. Now that is not to say she is not impressive when talking to recruits. The Tennessee program is not the same old program that sold itself by Pat flying into town and picking whoever she wanted. In today's market you have to sell yourself and assure players that you have a top program. You just can't know the X's and O's, people skills and the use of proper motivation plays a very important part in recruitment.

Players go to UCONN because they are winners and Gino is the coach. The next person after Gino is going to have a lot to live up to. Whoever it is, will need to be able to insure recruits that the program has not changed because Gino is no longer the person in charge. Does Holly have what it takes? I don't think anyone has the ability yet to really answer that question. Certainly calling her a loser based on one recruiting year and the loss of two top state recruits seems a bit unfair. Now if the 2016 recruiting class start exhibiting the same things and we fail to bring in a big girl or two, Holly may have to rethink her recruiting strategic plan. No matter how much we love or hate Holly, she is not going to get fired unless recruiting goes South along with winning. Right now, for all intent and purpose, she is a winner.

Only disappointment I have with Holly's recruiting so far is missing out on those two post players who both went to Baylor this year. She has done a pretty good job of evaluating talent so far in Reynolds, Russell, Nared; still awaiting Middleton, Dunbar, and Tucker. I think all three will be contributors and also think Tea Cooper and Deshields are significant gets. We really need a post or two in next year's class.

Reactions: 4 people
The only question about Holly's recruiting is the lack of another post player or two.
Next year Cooper, DeShields and Jackson
Last Year Nared, Middleton and Dunbar
2103 Russell, Tucker and Reynolds
That's not good recruiting ?

Too early to say. I see one can't miss great player in that group, and we only know that because she proved it at another school.....

Did Pat ever miss on an instate kid that she wanted?

I take that to be a rhetorical question. Of course, Misty Lamb immediately comes to mind. I've often wondered how pursuant she was of the likes of Jennifer White of Loretto in the late 70s and Regina Street of Memphis, Jackie Cowan of Nashville, Carolyn Peck of Jeff. Co.,, and Venus Lacy of Chattanooga in the 80s.

And, of course, signing them is only part of the tall order. Keeping them in Orange for the duration of their eligibility is another facet that would elongate the response to your provoking question...

In any event, I think Coach Warlick wanted Dangerfield and Carter badly but not desperately. What was the cost to turn Dangerfield's heart? Did it require squeezing someone out like the coach at UNC did to some commitments and loyal players a couple of years ago--making room for a tremendous haul? It makes for a precarious situation. What was Dangerfield looking for in a school? A New England climate and a school in an atrociously weak conference coached by a ridiculously self-indulged male who happens to be highly successful at what he does? So be it. I don't think you can blame Warlick for the recruit's ultimate decision. Conversely she isn't demanding all the credit for signing Cooper and luring DeShields here. IMO Warlick should be held accountable for whom she does bring in accordance with what she does with them once they get here.

She missed on that girl that went to Stanford and became their first All American and is now a coach at the U of San Fran.

Only one was a five and that is Russell. Plus it was not this year's roster that was lacking it is next year's as you can't always project injuries. I think you should carry five or six posts for that very reason. Next season Russel is our only five coming off injury and then we have Graves and Moore not enough to compete with all the bigs South Carolina has on their roster. We need more post players to rebound with them they beat us twice because of their advantage on the boards.
Holly has tried to up her roster of post players both seasons she has missed on every post players she was recruiting.

We all need to remember Graves is not a true post player.

Where do you see that I do not consider Graves a post. She is a 4 however not a five. Summit always had five to six post players when she coached at Tennessee. Were playing small this tournament because of injuries. If we had an additional post player we wouldn't be.
To add Holly was trying to get the number to six for next season. She failed to get anyone she was recruiting. Now she is trying to get a JC. She understands the numbers she needs but has failed to get any of the players that play inside.

Evidently you don't consider Welch a post for SC.

I did misread what you said about Bashaara. For some reason, I thought you said that her and Nia weren't posts.

I actually don't consider Welch a post anymore than I consider Jones or Cierra as a post. They are all players that have flexibility playing either forward spot, but with a deficiency...in Welch's case, it's her height.

She missed on that girl that went to Stanford and became their first All American and is now a coach at the U of San Fran.

No one is 100%, not even Geno, however, it all gets down to one very good question, how good are you at coaching up what you got? Next year Holly will be in a position to answer that question, because we will be loaded.

i would like to see CHW pull in a couple of post players this year

I would like to see her recruit a couple of project players,just for some added bench depth for injuries,I think she is a lot like Pat and won't carry a full bench,I do hope she will get over that :)

it had to be hard to recruit great post players with Izzy and Russell on the team,it has really hurt having have Russell to sit out with her surgery's and it has hurt the team big time losing Izzy and wouldn't we love to have Jones back right now ?

I did misread what you said about Bashaara. For some reason, I thought you said that her and Nia weren't posts.

I actually don't consider Welch a post anymore than I consider Jones or Cierra as a post. They are all players that have flexibility playing either forward spot, but with a deficiency...in Welch's case, it's her height.

I agree with you that Welch is not a post player she plays the 3. But here is what set`s her apart from Graves Welch has better leaping ability and is stronger on the boards. Now if you throw Jones into the mix it gets a little closer. Jones can match Welch in leaping ability and on the boards. But the problem with Jones is like Graves when she arrived at Tenn she was a one dimensional player. But i do agree Jones might be better at the 4.

This site is always the best. :eek:lol: I said it's good to be a Tennessee Vol.... :pepper:

GO LADY VOLS!

A simple question: Do you believe that the LVs will be able to compete for the #1 or2 best players every year? UConn with the current coach, who is also the Olympic Coach and located close to ESPN - can and does - every year.

A second simple question: the games that LVs have lost in the NCAAs in recent years do you believe the coach and assistant coaches should be (partially) blamed for the losses?

Another simple question: Do you believe going into the tourney that the current LV team is playing at a level you will be proud of even if they lose?

And how many more games do you believe the LVs would have (will have) won this year without the injuries to the All-American and Jones ?

My answers: NO, several partial y's including not able to establish leadership or accountability, 4.

I don't see 4 more wins with Jones and the AA Harrison. Jones became "prone" to injuries and seemingly rarely finished a game oddly enough. (Her mother played much tougher in her day at Alabama.)

The refs severely and cruelly limited Harrison's minutes and space on the floor.

With the 2, some victories might have been by larger margins.

A simple question: Do you believe that the LVs will be able to compete for the #1 or2 best players every year? UConn with the current coach, who is also the Olympic Coach and located close to ESPN - can and does - every year.

A second simple question: the games that LVs have lost in the NCAAs in recent years do you believe the coach and assistant coaches should be (partially) blamed for the losses?

Another simple question: Do you believe going into the tourney that the current LV team is playing at a level you will be proud of even if they lose?

And how many more games do you believe the LVs would have (will have) won this year without the injuries to the All-American and Jones ?

My answers: NO, several partial y's including not able to establish leadership or accountability, 4.

yep :hi:

VN Store

Back