Really Dooley?

A Safety can make a good defensive play on a big pass where someone blew their assignment, the play may go for 30 yards. But because a safety took a good angle and made a sure tackle he prevented a TD. The blown coverage wasn't his mistake, but he made a good defensive play on a play that netted 30 yards...

Conversely, a lineman and a linebacker can both miss tackles in the backfield and the runner gains 8 yards because of it... Only 8 yards but that was still a bad defensive play...

Good and bad are highly subjective, and if Dooley cared that people were going to crap a turkey because he said "60 good" and "15 bad" he would have instead said "There are about 40 average plays that anyone can make, there are 10 plays we made because of correct scheming, there are 10 we didnt make because of incorrect scheming, there were 5 made by defensive playmakers, and there were 10 not made as a result of poor positioning, poor angles, mental lapses or simply being beat on the play"... That would remove the subjectivity of his original statement which the truely uneducated like to immediately pounce on and say "Ha, 15?? More like all of them." However, those that would do that would have missed the ENTIRE point of the message he was trying to convey...

It doesn't matter. As a unit the entire defense is atrocious. There might be good players in it... or players intermittently making good plays but as a whole giving up a 30 yard play isn't "a good play" even if it was mitigated.

Oh, but sure, it can always be worse so therefore it's not that bad, right?

I'm not buying.

Let’s remember that the coaches are responsible for coaching the young men up, so let’s take it easy on our players folks. From what I have seen our d has been out of position, which is a coaching problem.

VFL

It doesn't matter. As a unit the entire defense is atrocious. There might be good players in it... or players intermittently making good plays but as a whole giving up a 30 yard play isn't "a good play" even if it was mitigated.

Oh, but sure, it can always be worse so therefore it's not that bad, right?

I'm not buying.

There is no defense you can run for a perfectly executed blocking scheme, perfectly run route, and perfectly thrown pass... There is no defense for that scenario, I believe it was Paul Brown who said something almost word for word like that... You can, however, control the damage by taking a perfect angle to the receiver and making a solid tackle... You've made a good play containing a perfectly run offensive play that could have easily been a touchdown...

It's football, you're going to make some plays and not make others... The problem with Dooley's statement is what people view as "good" and "bad", which is HIGHLY subjective... If you can not grasp simple that concept then you lack the minimum football intelligence required to continue in this conversation...

There is no defense you can run for a perfectly executed blocking scheme, perfectly run route, and perfectly thrown pass... There is no defense for that scenario, I believe it was Paul Brown who said something almost word for word like that... You can, however, control the damage by taking a perfect angle to the receiver and making a solid tackle... You've made a good play containing a perfectly run offensive play that could have easily been a touchdown...

It's football, you're going to make some plays and not make others... The problem with Dooley's statement is what people view as "good" and "bad", which is HIGHLY subjective... If you can not grasp simple that concept then you lack the minimum football intelligence required to continue in this conversation...

Clearly being able to formulate coherent thoughts isn't a prerequisite for being patronizing or "thorough" football intelligence.

Noted.

With said that Dooley defending is pointless results there they are not. Says he most plays are very good they arent. Says he anything about defense doesn't matter.

#99 total defense
#101 scoring defense
#14/14 defense in SEC

There is no defense of Dooley/Sal in same vein defense none on field. Those results with 2 cupcakes on schedule. Nice try at a spin-job though, Dr. Phil.

Clearly being able to formulate coherent thoughts isn't a prerequisite for being patronizing or "thorough" football intelligence.

Noted.

With said that Dooley defending is pointless results there they are not. Says he most plays are very good they arent. Says he anything about defense doesn't matter.

#99 total defense
#101 scoring defense
#14/14 defense in SEC

There is no defense of Dooley/Sal in same vein defense none on field. Those results with 2 cupcakes on schedule. Nice try at a spin-job though, Dr. Phil.

Cool, I missed typing a word on my phone and you based an entire response around it... Neat logical fallacy...

There's no point in talking with you, we're clearly on two very different levels... You come off as one of those people that think batting average and RBIs mean something in baseball... Quoting the simplest of statistics without proper context is first of all (A) a tool of only the most ignorant and (B) shows me you truly aren't capable of having a football discussion worthy of any merit because your understanding of what, how, and why is fundamentally off...

I'm going to put you on ignore now, but it's okay, I'll be praying for you...

Last edited:
Bad plays don't have to be 20 yards. They can be that 3rd and 6 pick up that keeps a drive alive because someone blew an assignment or a 3rd and 2 where our corners are 20 yards off the line of scrimmage. Nice try though.

wasnt trying to diss ya, was more being sarcastic to the situation than you. thanks for the bad play education though. il write that one down for future reference. maybe now all those helmets flying around on the field will finally make sense to me.

VN Store

Back