Really Dooley?

It's pretty much bad every time the other team throws the ball. We can't cover anybody.

"In all these games you're seeing about 60 plays of really good defense and about 15 plays of really bad defense," -- Derek Dooley

Fire this clown. More like 60 plays of really bad defense.

Not sure what Dooleys point is. This is typical of any bad defense. Good offensive coordinators call plays knowing that they may not work well but use them to set up plays that will. That said our secondary is the horrendous part of our defense. Any play that gets to the second level is potential disaster whether it's a running play or a passing play.

See, this is why you can't argue semantics with a lawyer.

Your definition of "good play/bad play" is not Dooley's definition of "good play/bad play". See, a good play for Dooley is one where:

• Opposing player doesn't gain 20+ yards
  • Opposing player doesn't score
So we're doing good as long as we give up, say, 10 or fewer 20+ yard plays and 5 scores. 5 yard run? Good play! 8 yard run? Good play! 15 yard run! Bad play!

See? Coaching is fun!

A Safety can make a good defensive play on a big pass where someone blew their assignment, the play may go for 30 yards. But because a safety took a good angle and made a sure tackle he prevented a TD. The blown coverage wasn't his mistake, but he made a good defensive play on a play that netted 30 yards...

Conversely, a lineman and a linebacker can both miss tackles in the backfield and the runner gains 8 yards because of it... Only 8 yards but that was still a bad defensive play...

Good and bad are highly subjective, and if Dooley cared that people were going to crap a turkey because he said "60 good" and "15 bad" he would have instead said "There are about 40 average plays that anyone can make, there are 10 plays we made because of correct scheming, there are 10 we didnt make because of incorrect scheming, there were 5 made by defensive playmakers, and there were 10 not made as a result of poor positioning, poor angles, mental lapses or simply being beat on the play"... That would remove the subjectivity of his original statement which the truely uneducated like to immediately pounce on and say "Ha, 15?? More like all of them." However, those that would do that would have missed the ENTIRE point of the message he was trying to convey...

Reactions: 1 person
"In all these games you're seeing about 60 plays of really good defense and about 15 plays of really bad defense," -- Derek Dooley

And all 15 plays are 3rd downs!!!

A Safety can make a good defensive play on a big pass where someone blew their assignment, the play may go for 30 yards. But because a safety took a good angle and made a sure tackle he prevented a TD. The blown coverage wasn't his mistake, but he made a good defensive play on a play that netted 30 yards...

Conversely, a lineman and a linebacker can both miss tackles in the backfield and the runner gains 8 yards because of it... Only 8 yards but that was still a bad defensive play...

Good and bad are highly subjective, and if Dooley cared that people were going to crap a turkey because he said "60 good" and "15 bad" he would have instead said "There are about 40 average plays that anyone can make, there are 10 plays we made because of correct scheming, there are 10 we didnt make because of incorrect scheming, there were 5 made by defensive playmakers, and there were 10 not made as a result of poor positioning, poor angles, mental lapses or simply being beat on the play"... That would remove the subjectivity of his original statement which the truely uneducated like to immediately pounce on and say "Ha, 15?? More like all of them." However, those that would do that would have missed the ENTIRE point of the message he was trying to convey...

Don't you dare come in here and post with an understanding of football!

Wouldn't you be? If you had a bunch of blow hards that have never coached a game of football in their lives telling you how to coach.

Hopefully you haven't complained about Bush or Obama in the past. You've never been president of a country a single day of your life.

only if you consider every pass play and every run to the left end "about right."

Holy crap!! You noticed!! What is up with #54? He CANNOT or has not set the edge of the defense, yet. USC constantly got outside of him. #56 came in, and did better on a few plays. But #54 is clueless. As the DE YOU MUST set the edge and force everything back, inside of you. Our LB's would get there, nearly everytime, if this douche would do his job!!! Our LB's are slow! Shorten the distance they must travel, but turning everything back inside. It's not rocket science!!!

Factually what CDD said is true even though most don't like truth or facts.

WHY does it happen over and over even though CSS and his staff work on it over and over constantly?

That's easy to understand too because either a player gets flatout beaten and blocked on a play OR...

Because the 3-4 D is so complicated and complex that it takes 2 years to fully understand everything about it, learn it and react fast instead of having to stop and think about it and then react.

Our of position sometimes?

Yes and the reason is because when the O makes a shift then our D must make shifts too in order to cover the shift made by the O.

Most of the time we're out of position is when the O shifts and our D doesn't make the proper shifts fast enough to keep from getting beat on that play and the results most times have been a big play of 15 yards or more unfortunately.

Is the 3-4 D really good?

Yes, when you have the right people and the players have the time to learn it all before they're thrown on the field and expected to know too much too soon.

The PROOF of how good the 3-4 D is can be seen at alaBubba where their D has been ranked number 1 for 2 years in a row and it's much easier when you have 50 or more future NFL players on your roster and where you're not forced to start or play many Sophs and Freshmen because they have 4 full classes of knowledge, experience and leadership with lots of future NFL players that already have learned the 3-4 D inside out.

If our 3-4 defence was in the 2nd year instead of the 1st year we would be much better and right now we'd probably be a 1 loss team and ranked in the top 10 easily and we would already have Won the SEC East and be trying to figure out how to beat alaBummer in the SEC Championship game.

CDD said he would fix our running game and he did that even better than I expected.

By next season CDD and CSS will fix our new 3-4 defence and by then we should be able to get alot of Wins and probably Win the SEC East since it HAS been our defence that lost all the games we could have won this year.

I do NOT support any specific coach....I support my Vols football program but if AD Hart gives CDD and CSS another year then I totally understand the many reasons why he made that decision.

VFL...GBO!!!

This "we're losing because the 3-4" excuse is all well and good, except we've been in a four man front most of the last two games. My question is if the 3-4 is a two year process, and we're playing primarily a 4-3, is this "Year Zero" for Sunseri?

I was behind Dooley when he was hired. I personally can no longer even watch us play an SEC game. I did not even turn Saturday game on. I knew what the outcome would be. I can only hope I live long enough to see Tennessee hire a coach which can command the respect of heÂ’s players and recruit well enough to be completive in the SEC. I have followed Tennessee for all most forty years and I have never seen the program in such a state of disarray. I do not think Tennessee as a location, university, fans or Facilities is the problem. I think the problem starts at the top and permeates the entire athletic program. I do not have the answers but until Tennessee can Hire coaches that can coach and recruit and not look like they have on ideal what the h*** is going on during the games I do not things will change any time soon and if I was a major donor to the University. I would make it perfectly clear that until the situation gets corrected from the two down my check book is closed.

:eek:k:

As well he should because that's where he's taken our football program.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

At least we have our position (poision) as 12th Man sewed up then we can look elsewhere for blame. Everyone involved with the program has a role to play.....Volnation should have half the heart of the players......but alas another dude has "beef" with the current squad, and the squad before, and the squad before, and the squad before.........

What planet has he been on during UT's football games?

So, it should be pretty easy for him to fix, right?

Watch our DBs each game and you'll see they couldn't stop a high school team. Anyone ever see alabubba's dbs playing 10-15 yards off the receivers (EVERY TIME)? Maybe these are the 15 plays he talking about but from my standpoint it's more like 50 or 60 times per game. UTs dbs just don't get it....perhaps it's because they are poorly coached??

Not really. Did you even watch the game on Saturday?

Sadly most of the guys that want Dooley gone spend their Saturdays on the message boards, hunting for prospective coaches and discussing super secret meetings than they do watching the game and cheering for the Vols to win. They don't realize that what has happened took more than 3 years and therefore will take more than 3 years to fix.

Last edited:
Did anyone else hear him try to joke about being on crutches when asked why he didn't use a challenge on the last timeoidea

At least he admitted he should've challenged & that he had no idea what the challenge rules are. Really?!?!

I'm surprised that not more people are realizing just how bad he screwed up there. And then he tries to joke about it!!

Get his ass out of here!! What a joke

Ya coach like you did when it happened to you , right?

The blown coverage and not being in position is one thing, but the missing tackles is just unacceptable imo!

Watch our DBs each game and you'll see they couldn't stop a high school team. Anyone ever see alabubba's dbs playing 10-15 yards off the receivers (EVERY TIME)? Maybe these are the 15 plays he talking about but from my standpoint it's more like 50 or 60 times per game. UTs dbs just don't get it....perhaps it's because they are poorly coached??
Our DB's are slow... If they do not play 15 yards off the line of scrimmage, they will get burned consistently. This also means they are unable to help as much in run support since they are back deep, allowing huge lanes for backs to gash us on. One weak part on D hurts everything else. You can't coach speed.

Last edited:

No, he's right. We're playing good defense most of the games. We're just getting out of position and blowing coverages on a few plays per game.

It's worth noting that this shouldn't surprise anyone who pays attention to what analysts say about the Vols. Before the season the consensus was that the switch to a 3-4 Defense would cost us 1-2 games because we don't entirely have the personnel for the D yet.

VN Store

Back