Really Dooley?

"In all these games you're seeing about 60 plays of really good defense and about 15 plays of really bad defense," -- Derek Dooley

Fire this clown. More like 60 plays of really bad defense.

Don't know why you would protest a true statement. Unfortunately he and his staff have been unable to prevent those 15 plays or improve them appreciably since UF.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone think that hiring Sunseri was a mistake and he might be the one that gets fired? Our defense is horrible. Much worse than last year with more talent. Is Sunseri in over his head even more than Dooley?

15 bad plays translates to 30+ points a game. It's the specifics of those bad plays. We're not talking 20 yard+ plays or simple missed tackles. We're talking actual touchdowns. Big burns.

"In all these games you're seeing about 60 plays of really good defense and about 15 plays of really bad defense," -- Derek Dooley

I actually think he is correct, too many BIG PLAYS for touchdowns. Our run defense the second half of the Georgia Game has been pretty decent, again a couple of big plays for td's but down for down decent. Lots of young guys in the secondary is going to make for mistakes.

Not really. Did you even watch the game on Saturday?

I did watch the game and not only was Lattimore gashing us (11 rushes for 65 yds and a TD) but it seemed like most times they attempted a pass, their scrub receivers were WIDE OPEN--20 of the 22 passes Shaw completed were to receivers who averaged over 15 yds a catch against us. Seriously?

Our offense is not the problem--and yes, I know Chaney is a dumbass on some situational play calling. Our defense, on the other hand, couldn't stop a nose bleed.

Last edited:
not really, when those 15 all go for about 20 yards a pop then thats 300 of it right there.

Bad plays don't have to be 20 yards. They can be that 3rd and 6 pick up that keeps a drive alive because someone blew an assignment or a 3rd and 2 where our corners are 20 yards off the line of scrimmage. Nice try though.

On Big Orange Sunday yesterday Doug Matthews said DD was asked about the defense in the post game press conference and said he spends 100% of his time in the offense and special teams staff meetings. This seems crazy being that the defense is the reason we are losing games. Either he feels he has nothing to bring to the table or the defensive coaches don't want him in the room. I'll put my $$$$ on the 2nd option.

Did anyone else hear him try to joke about being on crutches when asked why he didn't use a challenge on the last timeoidea

At least he admitted he should've challenged & that he had no idea what the challenge rules are. Really?!?!

I'm surprised that not more people are realizing just how bad he screwed up there. And then he tries to joke about it!!

Get his ass out of here!! What a joke

On Big Orange Sunday yesterday Doug Matthews said DD was asked about the defense in the post game press conference and said he spends 100% of his time in the offense and special teams staff meetings. This seems crazy being that the defense is the reason we are losing games. Either he feels he has nothing to bring to the table or the defensive coaches don't want him in the room. I'll put my $$$$ on the 2nd option.

I heard about this also, and it blew my mind. If I were in Dooley's shoes, I would camp out in Sal's office and get every detail I could about what was wrong and what he was doing to fix it.

How about we delete you Volnation account, that would probably yield better results for everyone.

Go Vols!!

Anyone think that hiring Sunseri was a mistake and he might be the one that gets fired? Our defense is horrible. Much worse than last year with more talent. Is Sunseri in over his head even more than Dooley?

How many asst coaches have to jump ship or get fired before we admit it just might be Dooley? If Sal goes that makes 8 in two seasons. Is that enough?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

How many asst coaches have to jump ship or get fired before we admit it just might be Dooley? If Sal goes that makes 8 in two seasons. Is that enough?

Most left on their own, including Wilcox. Our defense was much better last year with less personnel. Check the stats, its not even close. We have better players with a much worse defense. If our defense was as good as last years even, we would have no more than 2 losses and possibly only 1.

I honestly don't see how he is actually an attorney, unless he just plays dumb and keeps on cashing those huge checks.

Most left on their own, including Wilcox. Our defense was much better last year with less personnel. Check the stats, its not even close. We have better players with a much worse defense. If our defense was as good as last years even, we would have no more than 2 losses and possibly only 1.

Here's a hint for you scooter. That part where I said "jumped ship" is what I meant. They left because they saw from the inside how inept this coach is.

He's right, but that's the sign of a bad defense. Really good defenses will show 60 plays of really good defense, and 5 plays of mediocre defense, with 0 plays of really bad defense.

Plays over 3.333 yards are considered bad plays because 3 of those make a 4th down. Delete this post.

Plays over 3.333 yards are considered bad plays because 3 of those make a 1st down. It takes 3 good plays to get off the field.

He is using the same math as saying this is year "2"

and also the same math re sending 13 players out to defend against LSU

VN Store

Back