Random, Thoughts, X,XXIV

The guys who bought my mom’s house in East Memphis were determined to update it but preserve its Memphis mid-century (think Cherry Road) vibe, but it couldn’t pass the new earthquake codes.

Down it went, with a semi-faithful-slant-Pseudor-Tudor replacement.
Bringing this over here so as not to trigger those snowflakes by talking about Memphis.

It wasn’t on Cherry was it? I seem to recall you saying it was Walnut Grove maybe? Walnut Grove and Cherry?

Was on Cherry enough to know pretty much every house in the entire stretch. Charlie Rich had a corner house on Cherry, at Tuckahoe I think.

Reactions: VolNExile
Bringing this over here so as not to trigger those snowflakes by talking about Memphis.

It wasn’t on Cherry was it? I seem to recall you saying it was Walnut Grove maybe? Walnut Grove and Cherry?

Was on Cherry enough to know pretty much every house in the entire stretch. Charlie Rich had a corner house on Cherry, at Tuckahoe I think.
No, it was on Shady Grove Rd, back when Roane Rd curved around to hit Shady Grove twice. The neighborhood HOA decided to close off Roane Rd at her driveway, making her address suddenly incomprehensible.

I had useful chats with the firefighters at the station on Mendenhall near Poplar about this, after there was suddenly a berm cutting off her access from Shady Grove. (Also her access to the fire hydrant.) My request to them: “If you need to get there, please plow right on through the berm and all the fancy shrubs they’ve planted there.” And as no one had consulted them about the road closure, they were happy to comply.

The house was built by a builder (duh) who had built the Fancy Version on Cherry Rd, and then his own house with the same house plan on Shady Grove. I still grimly preserve the article in the Commercial Appeal about this, per her request (=demand.)

It’s just west of Shady Grove and Mendenhall. Very nice, middle-class thinking hard about upper-middle-class, sprawling rancher homes, until the McMansions hit. (Let’s tear down perfectly good 3/2 houses to put up McMansions on too-small lots!)

It was definitely not in the lah-de-dah Polo Club East-East Memphis version of Shady Grove, but it was only a few blocks away from Isaac Hayes’ home, as she proudly argued for. She was a block+ away from (?) Jim Stewart’s (Stax) house on Mendenhall.

She was endlessly over-assessed on her property taxes by the City of Memphis for several decades, and she ferociously fought the good fight for a good fifteen years, marching to meetings with endless reprints of comps to beat them down for one more year.

She drove me crazy (still does, but in a sadly different way), but I admire the hell out of her for her grit and determination.

No, it was on Shady Grove Rd, back when Roane Rd curved around to hit Shady Grove twice. The neighborhood HOA decided to close off Roane Rd at her driveway, making her address suddenly incomprehensible.

I had useful chats with the firefighters at the station on Mendenhall near Poplar about this, after there was suddenly a berm cutting off her access from Shady Grove. (Also her access to the fire hydrant.) My request to them: “If you need to get there, please plow right on through the berm and all the fancy shrubs they’ve planted there.” And as no one had consulted them about the road closure, they were happy to comply.

The house was built by a builder (duh) who had built the Fancy Version on Cherry Rd, and then his own house with the same house plan on Shady Grove. I still grimly preserve the article in the Commercial Appeal about this, per her request (=demand.)

It’s just west of Shady Grove and Mendenhall. Very nice, middle-class thinking hard about upper-middle-class, sprawling rancher homes, until the McMansions hit. (Let’s tear down perfectly good 3/2 houses to put up McMansions on too-small lots!)

It was definitely not in the lah-de-dah Polo Club East-East Memphis version of Shady Grove, but it was only a few blocks away from Isaac Hayes’ home, as she proudly argued for. She was a block+ away from (?) Jim Stewart’s (Stax) house on Mendenhall.

She was endlessly over-assessed on her property taxes by the City of Memphis for several decades, and she ferociously fought the good fight for a good fifteen years, marching to meetings with endless reprints of comps to beat them down for one more year.

She drove me crazy (still does, but in a sadly different way), but I admire the hell out of her for her grit and determination.
I always enjoyed driving around that area, it was way fancier than where I grew up.

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back