Random, Thoughts, X,XXIV

Land at empty airport. Of course, you are in the farthest gate, takes an hour to get luggage, luggage is beat the hell up, moving walkways don't work, panhandler in parking garage, one payment lane working to leave garage, hear gunshots, trash on streets, tons of potholes.

Welcome to Memphis
Sad really but worse Memphis ain’t the only place this is going on.

Reactions: Go aeiou
There are some positive signs from time to time. A black guy my grandson used to work with at a Jiffy Lube type place started up his own lawn maintenance business. I hired him to cut my grass for me and he just came by to pick up his payment for cutting my grass yesterday. He has a huge trailer and a nice pickup truck towing it. He named his business Mowtown Lawn Maintenance. 😁

There are some positive signs from time to time. A black guy my grandson used to work with at a Jiffy Lube type place started up his own lawn maintenance business. I hired him to cut my grass for me and he just came by to pick up his payment for cutting my grass yesterday. He has a huge trailer and a nice pickup truck towing it. He named his business Mowtown Lawn Maintenance. 😁
So many good people, of all backgrounds, trying to do right in the midst of chaos.

Land at empty airport. Of course, you are in the farthest gate, takes an hour to get luggage, luggage is beat the hell up, moving walkways don't work, panhandler in parking garage, one payment lane working to leave garage, hear gunshots, trash on streets, tons of potholes.

Welcome to Memphis

This isn't my experience. - except for potholes and trash.

This isn't my experience. - except for potholes and trash.

Anytime after 3 PM, the airport is 90% empty. One of the elevators in the long term garage hasn't worked since 2019. At least 1 of the walking walkways don't work. At least half the credit card machines are down to leave the lot. The last 2-3 times there is a panhandle right outside the rental car area.

The luggage delay was new last time..

To be fair, the luggage might have been beat up elsewhere...

Anytime after 3 PM, the airport is 90% empty. One of the elevators in the long term garage hasn't worked since 2019. At least 1 of the walking walkways don't work. At least half the credit card machines are down to leave the lot. The last 2-3 times there is a panhandle right outside the rental car area.

The luggage delay was new last time..

To be fair, the luggage might have been beat up elsewhere...

Admittedly my travel has dropped, but I will be there in June. Elevator out I can recall in December. Don't remember the walkways not working. I use the MemPass to leave. Never seen a panhandler there before, but I just go straight to the elevators.

Back in 2018, in the events leading up to my mother’s Big Fall, I was flying into Memphis monthly. I was really shocked at how it had gone downhill so much from a few years ago, when (I think?) it was a Delta hub.

The medevac flight was in June 2019, and I’ve only been back twice.

The change has been really shocking.

I’m not a scammer by any means, but flying has already taken its toll on my back and neck. Any advice on how to start a paper trail while I’m on these active orders without doing anything that will have an effect on my career?
Any issues you need to get documented. Depending upon MOS will determine if you’re fit for service. For example, if you have back issues and you’re infantry, you’ll have to reclass, med retire, or med seperate. For flyers, to my knowledge, the only thing immediately disqualifying is PTSD. Have met plenty of pilots with back, knee, joint issues, etc.

Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
@SergeantVol

Also, if you’ve ever been to JRTC, what can I expect? Aviation unit probably doesn’t get it as bad as the ground guys, but I’ve heard they’ll still try to **** on us. We’ve practiced setting up our tents and generators half a dozen times, but it’ll have been a couple months. I have no idea what to expect mission wise.
Most of it is the grind of 24hr ops in an austere environment. Definitely no cell phones, they have integrated EW into exercises so they can track unit movements and do some jamming. Most training will focus on company METs. Depending upon what type of aviation you are, expect missions based upon what your unit is supposed to do, TOC ops, and general shenanigans from OPFOR/ Geronimo. Normally the last week in the box they ramp up difficulty. Training up or RSOI will be when you first get there before you go in the box.

I’m still green behind the ears.

Well, she may have ruined a wedding today, but otherwise great. She was the flower girl. Rehearsal went great last night but having all the eyes on her freaked her out a bit and as she got to the altar she starting screaming. I scooped her up and ran as the bride walked down the aisle but you could definitely hear her over the music.

She definitely got to the sassy stage way earlier than I anticipated. She is weirdly manipulative as well. Might just have a little sociopath on my hands.
I came back a read this again this morning.
My oldest was a very strong willed child as well.
You’re going to be blessed with a lot of fond memories in your old age.

Any issues you need to get documented. Depending upon MOS will determine if you’re fit for service. For example, if you have back issues and you’re infantry, you’ll have to reclass, med retire, or med seperate. For flyers, to my knowledge, the only thing immediately disqualifying is PTSD. Have met plenty of pilots with back, knee, joint issues, etc.

That’s encouraging to hear. I hope to make it the full career, provided health doesn’t deteriorate too much. Is there a sick call or something that I start with whilst down there? Would obviously not go while I’m supposed to be in the box.

I’m still green behind the ears.

Well, she may have ruined a wedding today, but otherwise great. She was the flower girl. Rehearsal went great last night but having all the eyes on her freaked her out a bit and as she got to the altar she starting screaming. I scooped her up and ran as the bride walked down the aisle but you could definitely hear her over the music.

She definitely got to the sassy stage way earlier than I anticipated. She is weirdly manipulative as well. Might just have a little sociopath on my hands.
The entire last paragraph strikes you unusual how exactly?

Reactions: Go aeiou
That’s encouraging to hear. I hope to make it the full career, provided health doesn’t deteriorate too much. Is there a sick call or something that I start with whilst down there? Would obviously not go while I’m supposed to be in the box.
Once on orders, you’d be able to go to the TMC down there.

VN Store

Back