Question for Freak, Moderators, and VN Guru's.....

They had better athletes and more speed! Plain and simple! We had guys in poistion to make plays and they didn't come through! It is really simple if you take off the orange tinted glasses! We have been domianted by FLA for a long time! Why woud you think it was going to change...until we actually beat them we can't expect to win! The coaches had people in postion but our student athletes didn't make the plays and the FLA student athletes did! END of story. Stop trying to over analyze this...

So you and Romanvol are in agreement, im proud.keep thinking Dooley is going to lead you to a special place.

Sounds pretty logical to me.... Better than saying we just don't have the speed and talent.....

If you take care of your assignments, any speed disadvantage can be mitigated. Keep them inside the box, and they can't get going.

You really think that the def coaches haven't gone over assigments with the players????? Come on man! I love the vols as much as you do but really!!!! The kids just got out played! We got beat by a team with better players...

how many times did you see the def. looking over at the coaches just standing there and fla on the verge of snapping the ball and they had no clue what the coaches were wanting.Did you see the great Sal making adjustments ? let me know when you seen it.I never seen nothing change.

I am fairly well versed. A coach is responsible for what happens on the field. Period. If they don't like that fact, don't coach. Your points about being in position shows you are talking out of your rear. There's no technique- coach's job. We played undisciplined football rather than setting the edge- coach's job. We didn't play our assignments- coach's job. We didn't take good pursuit angles- coach's job. It is the coaching staff's job to teach and makes sure these things happen. The fact that they occurred time and time again shows several things- all bad. 1. They weren't prepared to defend the play. 2. We aren't disciplined enough to do our personal job and rely on your teammates to do theirs. I'm not going deeper. I can go all day on that. You obviously know nothing about defensive schemes/responsibilities/techniques. Hard to have a discussion with someone that has no idea about the subject and with the agenda of defending coaches come hell or high water.

Coaches are responsible for what their players do or do not do, and they get paid well for that. If they don't like that, they need to quit and do something where they work by themselves.

I realize you apparently coached high school football... But if you think the UT coaches didn't go over all those things your just losing ur mind which might be the case! At the end of the day the coaches had them in the right sets 90% of time and the kids just go beat or missed assignments... As a former coach I would think you would know this better than most of the people on this site! Coaches are responsible for their players but you can drill things into kids heads and if they dont react proplerly in the heat of the moment /during the game then what are you to do? I know you will say replace them but in reality they have the best players on the field but lastnight FLA's players were just better...

I realize you apparently coached high school football... But if you think the UT coaches didn't go over all those things your just losing ur mind which might be the case! At the end of the day the coaches had them in the right sets 90% of time and the kids just go beat or missed assignments... As a former coach I would think you would know this better than most of the people on this site! Coaches are responsible for their players but you can drill things into kids heads and if they dont react proplerly in the heat of the moment /during the game then what are you to do? I know you will say replace them but in reality they have the best players on the field but lastnight FLA's players were just better...

You take the blame for what happens on the field. That's what you do. Coaching isn't always fair or equitable, but you bear the responsibility regardless. If their assignments are second nature and taken care of, all of your better speed/talent impacts are minimalized. That's why better teams get beat by inferior opponents all the time. If you have inferior talent AND don't take care of assignments, the inequities are magnified.

Bottom line: coaches know going in what the deal is. Accepting that is part of the job. What a team achieves/doesn't achieve over time is a direct reflection of their coaches. We aren't talking about last night being an anomaly. We've had two years+ of Dooley. Our defense has had 3 games, but have been consistent in all three. We do not have any semblance of a contain responsibility. We take poor angles. Those can be overcome when playing vastly inferior opponents like our 1st two games (yes based off this season NC State fits that description). When facing comparable to better talent, you get exposed........hard.

how many times did you see the def. looking over at the coaches just standing there and fla on the verge of snapping the ball and they had no clue what the coaches were wanting.Did you see the great Sal making adjustments ? let me know when you seen it.I never seen nothing change.

A. I don't seen anything!
B. Sorry but this is about better players beating inferior players...

The coaches had them in the right set on the burton TD and the slant that went 70 yds... We just didn't make the tackle...

You blame whoever you want to blame. I have learned you can't argue with dumb!

The coaches had them in the right set on the burton TD and the slant that went 70 yds... We just didn't make the tackle...

A DB has to take away the inside slant route unless you have help underneath from a LB......

Bolded;
The only valid statement you have made; however, I would substitute "ignorant" for "dumb". Dumb means you are incapable of learning. Ignorant means you simply do not know. I don't think you are dumb. I do think you are very limited in your knowledge of the intricacies of defensive football techniques, responsibilities, reads, etc and how they must mesh together.

A DB has to take away the inside slant route unless you have help underneath from a LB......

Bolded;
The only valid statement you have made; however, I would substitute "ignorant" for "dumb". Dumb means you are incapable of learning. Ignorant means you simply do not know. I don't think you are dumb. I do think you are very limited in your knowledge of the intricacies of defensive football techniques, responsibilities, reads, etc and how they must mesh together.

Do not take this the wrong way.... I am sure you were a great softball and football coach but I am going to side with the professionals when it comes to schemes! I have no doubt you love the vols and you have every right to dispute everything they do but their is a reason they coach where they do and you coached where u did!

Do not take this the wrong way.... I am sure you were a great softball and football coach but I am going to side with the professionals when it comes to schemes! I have no doubt you love the vols and you have every right to dispute everything they do but their is a reason they coach where they do and you coached where u did!

You are right to side with them. Nothing to take the wrong way. Everything you say in that regard is correct.

The only thing I'll say is that containment is not a skill/concept that only NCAA & NFL level coaches can grasp. In fact, I personally learned about it over 35 years ago in flag football when playing in a Boy's Club league. The basics do not change. Fundamentals in college are fundamentals on every level. I have taken responsibility many many times for my unit's lack of execution of concepts I covered extensively. That's in the job description. As a D Coordinator, the defensive performance "buck" stopped with me. I am fine with that concept. It's in the job description, and I signed the contract agreeing to that. The college/pro coaches have many advantages over me though. One of which is they can go get players to meet their needs. I had to race what I brought. Oh, I get paid to coach. That makes me a professional as well. I just don't coach professional athletes.

Last edited:
You are right to side with them. Nothing to take the wrong way. Everything you say in that regard is correct.

The only thing I'll say is that containment is not a skill/concept that only NCAA & NFL level coaches can grasp. In fact, I personally learned about it over 35 years ago in flag football in a Boy's Club league. The basics do not change. Fundamentals in college are fundamentals on every level. I have taken responsibility many many times for my unit's lack of execution of concepts I covered extensively. That's in the job description. As a D Coordinator, the defensive performance "buck" stopped with me. I am fine with that concept. It's in the job description, and I signed the contract agreeing to that. The college/pro coaches have many advantages over me though. One of which is they can go get players to meet their needs. I had to race what I broight. Oh, I get paid to coach. That makes me a professional as well. I just don't coach professional athletes.

I understand... and appreciate what you do to mold the young players where you live! It is a selfless job! Thanks for all you do to help work with young Vols! I just can't blame a coaches when a player loses containment! You know as well as I do you have told them what to do time and time again... when that situation arises... if they blow it... it is a refelction on you as the coach but what are you to do??? You have drilled this into their minds! It comes down to who has the best players on the feild! Now with that said coaches have a huge influence on the game as you know but you can but people in the right sets and tell them what to do but at the end it of the day is on the kids to execute!

thats why I dont feel the need to argue with you because its not me that doesnt get it.You can defend the coaches all you want but at the end of the day these coaches dont have it.Im still waiting on you to tell me when Sal adjusted.

I understand... and appreciate what you do to mold the young players where you live! It is a selfless job! Thanks for all you do to help work with young Vols! I just can't blame a coaches when a player loses containment! You know as well as I do you have told them what to do time and time again... when that situation arises... if they blow it... it is a refelction on you as the coach but what are you to do??? You have drilled this into their minds! It comes down to who has the best players on the feild! Now with that said coaches have a huge influence on the game as you know but you can but people in the right sets and tell them what to do but at the end it of the day is on the kids to execute!

Thanks for the compliments, but I learned long ago that you'll never have to work a day in your life if you love what you're doing.

Fair or not, my players' actions were my responsibility, so yes, it is a reflection on me. The best talent doesn't always win. It helps, but it isn't automatic.

They had better athletes and more speed! Plain and simple! We had guys in poistion to make plays and they didn't come through! It is really simple if you take off the orange tinted glasses! We have been domianted by FLA for a long time! Why woud you think it was going to change...until we actually beat them we can't expect to win! The coaches had people in postion but our student athletes didn't make the plays and the FLA student athletes did! END of story. Stop trying to over analyze this...

Smart post . Missed tackles, bad angles, and speed and conditioning is what beat us. Also some play calling I think

thats why I dont feel the need to argue with you because its not me that doesnt get it.You can defend the coaches all you want but at the end of the day these coaches dont have it.Im still waiting on you to tell me when Sal adjusted.

I realize you have coached in many SEC games... So you can understand this! UT was in the right sets but missed tackles... What does "these coaches dont have it" mean??? Sal adjusted on every series... FLA didn't march down the feild in the second half they hit big plays where we missed tackles! Stop posting if you have nothing more than this argument!

I realize you have coached in many SEC games... So you can understand this! UT was in the right sets but missed tackles... What does "these coaches dont have it" mean??? Sal adjusted on every series... FLA didn't march down the feild in the second half they hit big plays where we missed tackles! Stop posting if you have nothing more than this argument!

your the one who is talking bs, saying the coaches had them in the right play and so when did you start coaching?So I took it you was on the sideline ? If you call what Sal did the 2nd half adjusting then he screwed that up to.What makes you an expert to say they were in the right sets ?
to answer your question, they suck. Tell me what it is about our coaches that makes you believe they are good ? all they have proved is , they can beat FBS school.
By the way its field

Last edited:
I think it's very possible that the team will get 7 or 8 wins. A bowl game is almost a lock. I don't know if that's good enough for Hart but I know that with a 7-8 win season and a low tier bowl appearance the fanbase is not going to unite behind Dooley and the Vols probably won't see any 5* prospects jumping on the bandwagon late in the recruiting cycle. Next year's schedule is tougher than this year and we will probably lose some Jrs. the the draft. All that said, I believe that keeping DD for 2013 is delaying the inevitable and probably allowing a little dip in our already thin talent that is just going to hamstring the next guy and possibly make the job less attractive.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it's very possible that the team will get 7 or 8 wins. A bowl game is almost a lock. I don't know if that's good enough for Hart but I know that with a 7-8 win season and a low tier bowl appearance the fanbase is not going to unite behind Dooley and the Vols probably won't see any 5* prospects jumping on the bandwagon late in the recruiting cycle. Next year's schedule is tougher than this year and we will probably lose some Jrs. the the draft. All that said, I believe that keeping DD for 2013 is delaying the inevitable and probably allowing a little dip in our already thin talent that is just going to hamstring the next guy and possibly make the job less attractive.

Agreed.

I support my team and coach. I have all the optimism in the world for Dooley. I was at the game it was painful to watch and I almost cried. I don't think Dooley can get it done but I want him to get it done. He needs our help to fill up the stands. I will have faith in all my coaches no matter how bad they are. Vandy and Kentucky do it every week. Support your coach and team is all i'm asking.

Then there is something severely wrong with you

VN Store

Back