Put up or Shut up Time for Coach Martin

I know that we're in a play-in game to make it to the dance...that's what I KNOW.

Are they in the NIT? Or the CBI? No? Ok,then they are in the NCAA. Do you say that those two MLB teams playing in the Wild Card game aren't in the playoffs? The format has changed. They are in the NCAA tournament.

In your opinion, what exactly are the negatives of hiring Pearl?

Next, what are the positives of keeping Zo?

Let me start by stating my view on Martin. It is well-known, that I was all for firing him if we missed the tournament. That has been my stance since September.

Having said that now, I would support Pearl if he were rehired. I'm just not going to campaign for it because I think he messed up his opportunity, and he is solely to blame. It sends a bad message IMO to rehire him, but I realize that winning will trump any message, good or bad, so that is irrelevant. With his reputation stained, I question how effective he will be recruiting when having to explain to parents why he lied to the NCAA and then attempted to convince a recruit and his parents to lie for him to cover it. That may or may not be a hurdle for him in the living room of recruits. I also feel that Tennessee will be under the microscope of the NCAA, and they will try to bury Pearl, AND Tennessee this time, for any and every miniscule secondary violation.

Those are my concerns. They may or may not come to fruition, but I almost guarantee that they will come up in a potential discussion with Pearl and Hart.

Reactions: 2 people
Let me start by stating my view on Martin. It is well-known, that I was all for firing him if we missed the tournament. That has been my stance since September.

Having said that now, I would support Pearl if he were rehired. I'm just not going to campaign for it because I think he messed up his opportunity, and he is solely to blame. It sends a bad message IMO to rehire him, but I realize that winning will trump any message, good or bad, so that is irrelevant. With his reputation stained, I question how effective he will be recruiting when having to explain to parents why he lied to the NCAA and then attempted to convince a recruit and his parents to lie for him to cover it. That may or may not be a hurdle for him in the living room of recruits. I also feel that Tennessee will be under the microscope of the NCAA, and they will try to bury Pearl, AND Tennessee this time, for any and every miniscule secondary violation.

Those are my concerns. They may or may not come to fruition, but I almost guarantee that they will come up in a potential discussion with Pearl and Hart.

This is a reasonable post that finally addresses some issues with rehiring Pearl. However, he's the consummate salesman and I don't think the living room will be a problem for him. I think having a new AD actually makes it more likely that he will be back since he wasn't the guy involved in the firing process. By 2015 we will have a new coach, Pearl or not.

Clearly?, so 60 teams got a bye.?

they have a seed and they're listed on the bracket. They have a shot to advance just like any other team that was picked or received an automatic bid.

yes, they're in the tournament and the made up "bye" stuff is irrelevant

Tennessean columnist David Climber said in the paper today that CCM needs two wins to secure his job. I don't know how much stock to put in that, but it is out there. Of course there are those in here that feel that CCM is secure for at least one more year, maybe they are correct. We shall see. I just want the Vols to be successful.

Probably opinion.

But I can still see Martin getting canned if they lose Wednesday night.

Preseason expectations were that UT would finish 3rd in the SEC - and that was with a healthy Maymon and Hubbs. We had neither. We finished one game out of 2nd. Come on folks - there was improvement this year.
Regarding the NCAA tourney - if there were no "play-in" games NC State and Xavier would be out and UT be the 4th 11 seed or the 1st 12 seed.

Holy hell, can we just not cheer on this team while they push to make a tournament run!?!? Then after the year ends, whether it is Wednesday night or next week, argue about who should be the coach! These men need our support and not for us to be living in the past about our former coach. On that note, GBO!

Reactions: 1 person
Holy hell, can we just not cheer on this team while they push to make a tournament run!?!? Then after the year ends, whether it is Wednesday night or next week, argue about who should be the coach! These men need our support and not for us to be living in the past about our former coach. On that note, GBO!

At this point, it feels kind of like a "win it all" or "just lose already" situation. One extreme or the other, no more mediocrity lol

I'm surprized some DA doesn't have us in the final four.One can only hope we make it out of Dayton.Pearl may coach in the SEC again but as long as Cheek is here it won't be here

clearly you have reasonable expectations :blink:

Whether or not he ever coaches here again and he likely will not, if Bruce Pearl was coaching this team the elite eight wouldn't be out of the question. In fact we would have a shot at the elite eight with any above average coach. Instead will barely made it in and are worrying about being one and done.

Whether or not he ever coaches here again and he likely will not, if Bruce Pearl was coaching this team the elite eight wouldn't be out of the question. In fact we would have a shot at the elite eight with any above average coach. Instead will barely made it in and are worrying about being one and done.

60 wins - 40 losses. Martin's record at UT. How do you define above average?

Good lord. Let's see how CCM handles a NCAA bid with this team before striking him down. We have NO idea what is going to happen with CCM or the program. Let's hope for as many wins for OUR team, especially these seniors.

VN Store

Back