Put up or Shut up Time for Coach Martin

I agree 100 % with this. Iowa is on a downward trend while we are peaking. The hawkeyes slow it down in the half court and that plays into what we like do offensively. I haven't seen UMASS this year. Insight anyone?

Iowa averages 82 ppg. What Hawkeye team have you been watching? They are the anti-Tennessee.

Realistically what I'm hearing is Iowa has been on a losing streak, we have been winning, UMass does not belong at a 6 seed. I think we win two and can beat Dukie, based on Virginia win and our drilling of Virginia. When former Vandy players and coach are pretty much predicting at least two wins as much as we dislike one another, ALL the marbles may be on the line for Coach Martin.

What makes you think we can compete offensively with Duke?

Jim Larranaga had George Mason in the Final Four several years ago. Should that be their expectation now too?

There is nothing wrong with having lofty goals, but being disappointed and calling for heads to roll if a coach doesn't meet YOUR expectations is silly.

Asking us to be a perennial Elite 8 team is beyond stupid. There are literally less than 15 teams in the country that should realistically have that goal and expect to hit it around 50% of the time.

That's not settling for mediocrity. It's called tempered expectations, and being realistic. If the name on the front of our jersey was Kentucky, or Duke, or Syracuse, etc., then it would be realistic to expect to play in the Elite 8 regularly, and it would be acceptable to be disappointed if we didn't.

So now we're a George Mason? Is/was GM ever a powerhouse football program? How about women's basketball? Explain to me why we can win in both of those sports, but yet being great in men's basketball is setting the bar "too high". I mean it feels like Florida is winning championships left and right, yet we can barely get into the dance? Coaching. Coaching. Coaching.

Whether you're a CCM guy or not...enjoy this tourney run, however long it lasts.

If I've learned anything as a UT fan, it's enjoy what's happening right now, because it may be a while before it comes along again.

I intend to watch and pull for these guys...it may be a while before we see the likes of Stokes & McRae in this program.

Once the season is officially over...then we'll see what Hart and those in power think and go from there.

Reactions: 1 person
Jim Larranaga had George Mason in the Final Four several years ago. Should that be their expectation now too?

There is nothing wrong with having lofty goals, but being disappointed and calling for heads to roll if a coach doesn't meet YOUR expectations is silly.

Asking us to be a perennial Elite 8 team is beyond stupid. There are literally less than 15 teams in the country that should realistically have that goal and expect to hit it around 50% of the time.

That's not settling for mediocrity. It's called tempered expectations, and being realistic. If the name on the front of our jersey was Kentucky, or Duke, or Syracuse, etc., then it would be realistic to expect to play in the Elite 8 regularly, and it would be acceptable to be disappointed if we didn't.

Here is a tempered expectation: I expected us to take a step forward this year. Not backwards. Martin has had this same roster for 2.5 years to develop it and we laid a goose egg against every good team except one.

So now we're a George Mason? Is/was GM ever a powerhouse football program? How about women's basketball? Explain to me why we can win in both of those sports, but yet being great in men's basketball is setting the bar "too high". I mean it feels like Florida is winning championships left and right, yet we can barely get into the dance? Coaching. Coaching. Coaching.

I'm just using your locktight logic that since we have been to an E8, that means it is our newfound expectation. Surely that isn't unique to Tennessee, right?

If GM has been to one Final Four, that's their expectation now.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

People can try to sugar coat this mess all they want to, but at the end of the day its hard to deny that CM has underacheived. Plain and simple. To compensate for his underacheivement he needs to do something exceptional like make it to the sweet 16 or the elite 8. CM has no personality, he's the most boring speaker ive ever heard, so his results need to be better than most because thats all he has going for him. JMO

Well, when you make hires like Buzz Peterson and Cuonzo Martin....succeeding isn't likely.

TRUTH !!
Conzo had the only player in the country to average a double double in Stokes, plus what NBA draft analyst's say will be 22 pick or better in the NBA in Mcrea, 2 ALL SEC Players, and we are in the play in game ? from what MOST DEFINITELY is the WEAKEST SEC basketball conference in maybe more than a decade? Folks - ZO GOTS TO GO!!Let's not even bring up next year... geeezzzzz.

Here is a tempered expectation: I expected us to take a step forward this year. Not backwards. Martin has had this same roster for 2.5 years to develop it and we laid a goose egg against every good team except one.

Fair enough. I won't argue that this season didn't fail to meet expectations, which is really an entirely different argument than the one we're having here.

My expectation was Sweet 16. That goal is still attainable as of this writing. The means of getting there may have been underwhelming, but that goal is still out there.

For the purpose of the intended discussion in this thread though, I'm saying that any Tennessee fan whose expectations are to make the E8 on an annual basis, is going to be disappointed more often than not. Whether Cuonzo Martin is coaching, or Bruce Pearl.

TRUTH !!
Conzo had the only player in the country to average a double double in Stokes, plus what NBA draft analyst's say will be 22 pick or better in the NBA in Mcrea, 2 ALL SEC Players, and we are in the play in game ? from what MOST DEFINITELY is the WEAKEST SEC basketball conference in maybe more than a decade? Folks - ZO GOTS TO GO!!Let's not even bring up next year... geeezzzzz.

Can I get a link to the analyst who says Jordan is a 22 pick or better?

People can try to sugar coat this mess all they want to, but at the end of the day its hard to deny that CM has underacheived. Plain and simple. To compensate for his underacheivement he needs to do something exceptional like make it to the sweet 16 or the elite 8. CM has no personality, he's the most boring speaker ive ever heard, so his results need to be better than most because thats all he has going for him. JMO

I don't necessarily disagree for this season. I just dont expect Tennessee to be a perennial E8 team. If you do, then you will be disappointed quite often.

I'm just using your locktight logic that since we have been to an E8, that means it is our newfound expectation. Surely that isn't unique to Tennessee, right?

If GM has been to one Final Four, that's their expectation now.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

The disheartening part is this:

Buzz was garbage and our stands were empty. He was fired.

After years of sucking in basketball, Bruce turned our team around and basically put us on the map. Gets fired (for some bulls***). The very next year, we're garbage...which is expected in Year 1.

Year 2. No improvement.

Year 3. No improvement.

Year 4 (or Year 1, again). Bruce Pearl is available and going to receive many job offers. We have a new AD who is likely going to be on a coaching search. Hart interviewing Pearl is just as fair as another school interviewing him. So why choose to be on the losing side of things? Give the dude his damn job back and let's start winning again, in turn, making the school lots of $$$.

Reactions: 2 people
What you can't seem to grasp is even if we are on our 18th choice Bruce will never even get a phone interview. You sound like one of those people who think Ron Paul could have been president. No amount of actual facts will get in the way of your pipe dream opinion.

Not ONE TIME has anyone given a reasonable answer as to why this couldn't happen. Are you just quoting opinions of other VN "experts" or do you have some concrete info to add?

It wasn't I that started a petition, and it wasn't I who signed it 35,000 times. Therefore, it's obviously not MY pipe dream.

Answer this: Pearl or Martin. Who would you choose?

pearl's third year: 31-5, sec regular season champs, 14-2 sec, 2 seed, sweet 16

martin's third year: 21-12, 4th sec, 11-7 sec, play-in 11th seed, TBD

answer is easy, pearl for me.

JMO: if we'd had an average coach this season, we would have finished 2nd in the conference and had a minimum 6th seed.

After years of sucking in basketball, Bruce turned our team around and basically put us on the map. Gets fired (for some bulls***). The very next year, we're garbage...which is expected in Year 1.

Year 2. No improvement.

Year 3. No improvement.

Year 4 (or Year 1, again). Bruce Pearl is available and going to receive many job offers. We have a new AD who is likely going to be on a coaching search. Hart interviewing Pearl is just as fair as another school interviewing him. So why choose to be on the losing side of things? Give the dude his damn job back and let's start winning again, in turn, making the school lots of $$$.

This post is your most reasonable one yet. I'll only argue that year 3 (this year), there has been improvement solely on the basis of making the tournament. It wasn't in the fashio we all expected or wanted, but we made it, so you have to chalk that up as improvement.

Those who want Pearl back, I understand your predicament. It would have been a lot easier for CM to flop and all the stars to align perfectly to allow Pearl to potentially return. Making the tournament complicates that issue for those who want Pearl back, and the fear of him leaving and succeeding elsewhere are warranted.

pearl's third year: 31-5, sec regular season champs, 14-2 sec, 2 seed, sweet 16

martin's third year: 21-12, 4th sec, 11-7 sec, play-in 11th seed, TBD

answer is easy, pearl for me.

JMO: if we'd had an average coach this season, we would have finished 2nd in the conference and had a minimum 6th seed.

That's some pretty flawed logic considering Kentucky has an average coach (on his worst day), finished 2nd in the conference, and is an 8 seed.

This post is your most reasonable one yet. I'll only argue that year 3 (this year), there has been improvement solely on the basis of making the tournament. It wasn't in the fashio we all expected or wanted, but we made it, so you have to chalk that up as improvement.

Those who want Pearl back, I understand your predicament. It would have been a lot easier for CM to flop and all the stars to align perfectly to allow Pearl to potentially return. Making the tournament complicates that issue for those who want Pearl back, and the fear of him leaving and succeeding elsewhere are warranted.

In your opinion, what exactly are the negatives of hiring Pearl?

Next, what are the positives of keeping Zo?

Year 2. No improvement.

Year 3. No improvement.

There has been improvement. Is it the huge leap of improvement that many were expecting and hoping for? Of course not, but there has been improvement every year. If it is enough improvement? Maybe, maybe not. We'll find out in a few days. But to say there has been NO improvement that you're so adamant about shows how little you know.

And why is that?

Is this a serious question? No team is the same every year. This isn't the NBA with long term contracts. Every NCAA program has ups and downs. When kids graduate or get hurt your team changes. No program goes deep in the tourney every year.

There has been improvement. Is it the huge leap of improvement that many were expecting and hoping for? Of course not, but there has been improvement every year. If it is enough improvement? Maybe, maybe not. We'll find out in a few days. But to say there has been NO improvement that you're so adamant about shows how little you know.

I know that we're in a play-in game to make it to the dance...that's what I KNOW.

VN Store

Back