Ps4

I really hope The Division lives up to it's hype. If Watchdog is a hit, I will be even more excited for The Division. Ubisoft is either going to kill gaming within the next year or die trying.

Reactions: 1 person
I want to like the PS4, but after spending some time with the PS3, there are a lot of things I don't like. I hope Sony gets it right this time, but I'm not sure it's a given that it will be the superior system.

I want to like the PS4, but after spending some time with the PS3, there are a lot of things I don't like. I hope Sony gets it right this time, but I'm not sure it's a given that it will be the superior system.

Stop trolling M$ fanboy................ I actually think the two systems will be as close as the same as two different systems in the same gen have ever been. Outside if exclusives of course, but they both will use the x86

Very interesting stuff about the PS4 vs Xbone tech.

PS4 will have hUMA wich means that you no longer need a distinction between CPU partition and GPU partition. Both processors can use the same pieces of data at the same time. You don't need to copy stuff and this allows for completely new algorithms that utilize CPU and GPU at the same time. This is interesting since a GPU is very strong, but extremely dumb. A CPU is extremely smart, but very weak. Since you can utilize both processors at the same time for a single task you have a system that is extremely smart and extremely strong at the same time.

hUMAton:
-only PS4 will have hUMA, Xbox One won't, says AMD's Marc Diana
-performance advantage of PS4 compared to Xbox One will be much greater than expected
-hUMA is key for the immense power gain of hetero-core systems
-unofficial interview with developer: PS4 is far ahead of Xbox One Article from Germany's biggest IT news site.
AMD: PS4 performance advantage over XB1 bigger than many expect thanks to hUMA
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldu...t-1939716.html

Translation:

Quote:
Although both upcoming game consoles Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are based on AMD hardware, only PlayStation 4 incorporates hUMA [Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access] for supporting a shared memory space. This was explained by AMD's Senior Product Marketing Manager Marc Diana to c't [big German IT magazine] at gamescom. This should put the 3D-performance of PlayStation 4 much farther ahead of Xbox One than many have expected so far. AMD sees hUMA as a key element for drastic performance improvements in combined processors. AMD's upcoming Kaveri desktop processors support hUMA as well.

Behind the scenes, c't could hear from developers that the 3D-performance of PlayStation 4 is very far ahead of Xbox One.

Back in April, AMD manager Phil Rogers explained to c't that hUMA improves 3D-performance in particular. "Game developers have been eager to use very large textures for years. Until now they had to resort to tricks in order to package parts of larger textures into smaller textures. That is because today a texture has to be located in a special place of physical memory before the GPU can process it. With hUMA, applications can work with textures much more efficiently". AMD will give more details on hUMA at its upcoming developer conference in November.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Random GAFer
Our guy on the ground has heard this as well from multiplatform developers and publishers. Their PS4 game builds are significantly outperforming the Xbox One game builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by another random GAFer
On a classical system you have a RAM pool and a VRAM pool that are physically speperated. Copying data from one pool to the other creates latency. The GPU is very good ad hiding latency. What it needs most is high bandwidth. The CPU on the other hand is extremely sensitive to latency. The CPU needs extremely low latency to work efficiently. Copying data from the RAM (CPU) to the VRAM (GPU) creates latency, but that's okay for the GPU. Copying data from RAM (CPU) to VRAM (GPU) and back to the RAM (CPU) creates even more latency. It's too much for the CPU. The copying alone takes longer than the computation wich makes this roundtrip highly ineffective.

Xbox360 and older APUs have a unified RAM. This means that the RAM is no longer physically seperated, but even though it's the same RAM chips, the system still distincts between memory partition for the differenct processors. You still need to copy the data between CPU partition and GPU partition, but this will be much more efficient than copying it between physically seperated pools. But it's still too much latency for a CPU, GPU, CPU roundtrip.

PS4 will have hUMA wich means that you no longer need a distinction between CPU partition and GPU partition. Both processors can use the same pieces of data at the same time. You don't need to copy stuff and this allows for completely new algorithms that utilize CPU and GPU at the same time. This is interesting since a GPU is very strong, but extremely dumb. A CPU is extremely smart, but very weak. Since you can utilize both processors at the same time for a single task you have a system that is extremely smart and extremely strong at the same time.

It will allow for an extreme boost for many, many algorithms and parts of algorithms. On top of that it will allow for completely new classes of algorithms. This is a game changer.

hUMA: Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ear-in-kaveri/

Quote:
Even with the integration of GPUs and CPUs into the same chip, GPGPU is quite awkward for software developers. The CPU and GPU have their own pools of memory. Physically, these might use the same chips on the motherboard (as most integrated GPUs carve off a portion of system memory for their own purposes). From a software perspective, however, these are completely separate.

This means that whenever a CPU program wants to do some computation on the GPU, it has to copy all the data from the CPU's memory into the GPU's memory. When the GPU computation is finished, all the data has to be copied back. This need to copy back and forth wastes time and makes it difficult to mix and match code that runs on the CPU and code that runs on the GPU.

The need to copy data also means that the GPU can't use the same data structures that the CPU is using. While the exact terminology varies from programming language to programming language, CPU data structures make extensive use of pointers: essentially, memory addresses that refer (or, indeed, point) to other pieces of data. These structures can't simply be copied into GPU memory, because CPU pointers refer to locations in CPU memory. Since GPU memory is separate, these locations would be all wrong when copied.

hUMA is the way AMD proposes to solve this problem. With hUMA, the CPU and GPU share a single memory space. The GPU can directly access CPU memory addresses, allowing it to both read and write data that the CPU is also reading and writing.

hUMA is a cache coherent system, meaning that the CPU and GPU will always see a consistent view of data in memory. If one processor makes a change then the other processor will see that changed data, even if the old value was being cached.
Quote:
As well as being useful for GPGPU programming, this may also find use in the GPU's traditional domain: graphics. Normally, 3D programs have to use lots of relatively small textures to apply textures to their 3D models. When the GPU has access to demand paging, it becomes practical to use single large textures—larger than will even fit into the GPU's memory—loading the portions of the texture on an as-needed basis. id Software devised a similar technique using existing hardware for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and called it MegaTexture. With hUMA, developers will get MegaTexture-like functionality built-in.

Last edited:
Stop trolling M$ fanboy................ I actually think the two systems will be as close as the same as two different systems in the same gen have ever been. Outside if exclusives of course, but they both will use the x86

Yep, the reality is both consoles are extremely similar from a internal hardware standpoint. The little things here and there that separate them are more often than not transparent to the user playing a game.

Folks beating their chests that one is better than the other are doing so out of pride more than anything else.

:lol: I'm not trolling, but I probably am a Microsoft fan boy. I really do want to like the ps4 & I have one pre ordered, but you have to admit that they have a lot more to prove with this generation than Microsoft does.

Yep, the reality is both consoles are extremely similar from a internal hardware standpoint. The little things here and there that separate them are more often than not transparent to the user playing a game.

Folks beating their chests that one is better than the other are doing so out of pride more than anything else.
if the ps4 truly is as good as advertised it may just come down to which interface and controller that users prefer, and the exclusives of course.

:lol: I'm not trolling, but I probably am a Microsoft fan boy. I really do want to like the ps4 & I have one pre ordered, but you have to admit that they have a lot more to prove with this generation than Microsoft does.

Agreed

Funny because I see it exactly the other way around. I think it's MS that has a lot to prove.

1.) They have to prove that they can build a non defective, working machine from the get go. No RROD fiascos this time around.

2.) They have to prove that they are willing to invest back into their own internal gaming divisions and start building a robust internal development infrastructure. I want to see them build more of a brand identity and come up with new franchises that are worth a damn instead of just relying on Halo, Forza, and a bunch of 3rd party money hats for pointless timed exclusivity.

3.) They have to prove that despite forcing gamers to purchase it, the Kinect is worth the investment to those who have no interest in it.

4.) They have to continue to prove that despite the long strides Sony has made with PSN and the PS Plus premium service, Live is still worth the money they charge their users. Services like cross game chat, party chat, Netflix, etc are still behind the Live gold pay wall. On PS4 they won't be.

5.) And finally they have to prove that after all of the PR disaster they suffered from their original draconian plans, that they will not at some point attempt to start sneaking these restrictive policies back into their system.

Reactions: 2 people
Freak can you ban this Brave guy. I really dislike him. I would call him a lot names if you didn't have so many damn rules on the board now.

Freak can you ban this Brave guy. I really dislike him. I would call him a lot names if you didn't have so many damn rules on the board now.

Hey I'm not breaking any rules here. I have a right to express my point of view just like everyone else. If you are secure in your console of choice then what I say shouldn't bother you anyway. If you don't like what I have to say, there's an ignore feature on this forum that you are welcome to use.

Last edited:
Hey I'm not breaking any rules here. I have a right to express my point of view just like everyone else. If you are secure in your console of choice then what I say shouldn't bother you anyway. If you don't like what I have to say, there's an ignore feature on this forum that you are welcome to use.

You are a bit too much sometimes..........just sayin

Reactions: 2 people
You are a bit too much sometimes..........just sayin

Yeah, I do get passionate sometimes I admit it. But hey, I am who I am. I'm not breaking any rules. I'm not personally insulting anyone (unlike others on here). I don't do anything on this board that's ban worthy. I simply express my point of view. If you don't like me or what I have to say you're welcome to add me to your ignore list.

My son called me in the game room last night to try to play Far Cry 3. I'm no gamer by any means. Like some of the racing games but that's it. I knew there was something up. He was trying to get me hooked so I would buy the PS4 for x-mas.

My son called me in the game room last night to try to play Far Cry 3. I'm no gamer by any means. Like some of the racing games but that's it. I knew there was something up. He was trying to get me hooked so I would buy the PS4 for x-mas.

:eek:lol:

But see that's the beauty of having kids. You can buy gaming consoles and say "oh I did it because my kids wanted it."

that might affect the beer budget....

also, I can see you being a beast at mario kart

I am doing it in reverse... I am trying to get my daughter into gaming, so that I have a good excuse to buy games. :)

She is only 7 and she is slowly coming around. Once she is in from school everyday the wifey or myself get with her on homework, make her read a little extra in a book of her choice and then onto gaming. I am trying to do it the right way...

I am doing it in reverse... I am trying to get my daughter into gaming, so that I have a good excuse to buy games. :)

She is only 7 and she is slowly coming around. Once she is in from school everyday the wifey or myself get with her on homework, make her read a little extra in a book of her choice and then onto gaming. I am trying to do it the right way...

You trying to get her to play Far Cry 3? The bit my son showed me was graphic and full of f-bombs. :)

VN Store

Back