Pruitt will have a better record than Fulmer

Too much coach worship around here already.

Pruitt has been an important part in winning three championships. That’s either luck, I’ve never known or he knows what he’s doing. So, that is why I’m so on board with this coach. The last coach I was amped for was Kiffin. I’m way more stoked with our current head coach.

Go Vols!

We had better be competitive by 2020 when we go to Norman oklahoma. That is three years . If we are 7-5 we have the wrong coach. This year 6-6 would be good with 7-5/8-4 the next.

I think we just have to worry about this upcoming year for now and take it from there.

It would be hard to do.

I will say, if you have the right guy.....you should be 8-4 by year 2.

In the SEC East, that means beating the 3 cupcakes, Vandy, Missouri, SC, Kentucky and one other opponent. And if you have the right guy, coaching, development, weight room, and all the other stuff we don’t get to see should get you to 8-4

It would be hard to do.

I will say, if you have the right guy.....you should be 8-4 by year 2.

In the SEC East, that means beating the 3 cupcakes, Vandy, Missouri, SC, Kentucky and one other opponent. And if you have the right guy, coaching, development, weight room, and all the other stuff we don’t get to see should get you to 8-4

That's the funny thing about this first season.

So many unknowns that we could be anywhere between 3-9 and 9-3 in 2018, but--unless CJP is the wrong guy--the range of possibilities closes drastically in 2019, where I'd expect us to go somewhere between 7-5 and 9-3.

Seems paradoxical, on the face of it. But makes a lot of sense when you consider the new coaching crew's adjustment cycle, as well as the differences in our schedule over those two seasons (Miss St instead of Auburn is a big piece of that, but BYU instead of West Virginia helps, too).

That's the funny thing about this first season.

So many unknowns that we could be anywhere between 3-9 and 9-3 in 2018, but--unless CJP is the wrong guy--the range of possibilities closes drastically in 2019, where I'd expect us to go somewhere between 7-5 and 9-3.

Seems paradoxical, on the face of it. But makes a lot of sense when you consider the new coaching crew's adjustment cycle, as well as the differences in our schedule over those two seasons (Miss St instead of Auburn is a big piece of that, but BYU instead of West Virginia helps, too).

It takes time to, what i refer to as, "flush the turds".

There are guys who can't play that a new staff usually finds a way to encourage to move on.

There are guys who are locker room cancers or don't want to respond to new leadership that have to be eliminated as well.

After a season, you get rid of those guys as well as a senior class that is usually not onboard to the utmost because they have one year left and they just want to get the heck out of there and hopefully get to the league. But, it's usually less about "team" and "the future" with them because they already have a foot out of the door.

So, after that first season, you have a much higher percentage of guys who are buying into what you are doing. In addition, about half the team at that point (a 2nd year recruiting class is usually large in size for reasons already mentioned), are guys you signed (when you include the 1st class). Combine that with the fact that the team understands the playbook better and there is more continuity and the likelihood of losing to inferior competition decreases.....provided that the coach is a good coach.

Big difference in the two situations. Tennessee started 0-6 and finished 5-6 and the next year Fulmer became OC and Recruiting Coordinator. The next two years where a SEC title (shared) and one outright. He then became HC and brought in a ton more players to add to the two classes he brought in prior. Once Majors got out of the way, big time recruits started coming. Pruitt will do very well, but no Tennessee coach will ever match what Fulmer did. Even with all the great recruits Jones left him LOL!

When you look at Pruitt's previous stops, he has everything you need to be a great coach.
- coached dominant defenses in three stops
-great recruiter
-ability to form a well-regarded staff
-football is his life
- he coaches tough but players love the guy

Unless I'm missing something there are no visible red flags unlike our previous two hires. There were plenty of reasons to believe Dooley in particular and also Butch would not be long-term successes.

Pruitt is going to be a fantastic success. I hope he grows to love Tennessee so much that it's not worth the risk of leaving something he rebuilt for the cauldron that will be following Nick Saban.

Comparing Pruitt's initial years to Phil is an apples and oranges comparison. Phil inherited a much better situation. I do think that once Pruitt gets things rolling that he will be able to sustain the peak much longer than Phil did.

Last edited:
Big difference in the two situations. Tennessee started 0-6 and finished 5-6 and the next year Fulmer became OC and Recruiting Coordinator. The next two years where a SEC title (shared) and one outright. He then became HC and brought in a ton more players to add to the two classes he brought in prior. Once Majors got out of the way, big time recruits started coming. Pruitt will do very well, but no Tennessee coach will ever match what Fulmer did. Even with all the great recruits Jones left him LOL!

This post is full of bad info. Majors was bringing in big time recruits long before Fulmer was OC and recruiting coordinator. Also, those were Majors' classes, not Fulmer's you are speaking of before Fulmer became head coach.

Too many stupid people in our fan base

Photovol, why you runnin' around double-posting in every thread you touch? Is this like your new signature move, or something?

There you go ... You heard it here first. I'll revisit this thread in 5 years

Fulmer coached over 200 games, so five years isn't going to get you there. But, if you are arguing that after five years, Pruitt will have a better than .745 winning percentage, you are still delusional.

I'd love to see that kind of success around here again. I just don't see it happening in my life time. But boy i pray I'm wrong.

VN Store

Back