Pruitt will have a better record than Fulmer

Yea, but ain't it funny how most of the guys that make fun of those making these type of predictions, seem to take so much pleasure in telling them how wrong they were afterwards?

I hope he is right, but all he and other that do this every damn year are just trolling.

Reactions: 1 person
So Jeremy Pruitt could go 9-3 (even 10-3, with a bowl win) this season, then go 10-2 (even 12-2 with an SEC championship and bowl win) next year, and then go 14-1 in his third year (with or without a national championship, you pick),...

...and his 3-year record, at 36-6, would go down in the history books as more flashy and yet less meaty than Phillip Fulmer's 152-52.

Because getting to 86% win rate and a championship over three years is gaudy-good, for sure. But it's still not sustained excellence over a long period of time.

So...as unlikely (and awesome) as that kind of three-year ride would be, I'm still not sure that 50 or 100 years from now, Vols fans would see Jeremy as better than Phillip.

They're just two different kinds of excellent.

I hope Pruitt wins multiple championships, but I don't think he'll ever top Fulmer. Phil is Tennessee to his core, so that will always give him a special place in Tennessee history.

OK sir OP...I'll play along and say Pruitt will top 152 WINS that Fulmer got.

Here's the big things...

Fulmer started out coaching the line, then was the OC and along those years he helped bring in top recruiting classes and some seriously great players.

Fulmer started as the HC with a rock solid roster and he kept recruiting great players for years.

Pruitt has a roster now that would be 2nd or 3rd string players on most of Fulmers rosters so he's way behind from a player talent standpoint.

The only way that Pruitt and his staff can put together many seasons in a row like Fulmer had is to recruit #1 and #2 recruiting classes most every year for many years and that's a VERY tough task for anyone not named nick saTan and alaBubba.

Bleeding Tennessee Orange blood like I do I really hope that Pruitt and his staff can start pulling that off but I wouldn't bet on it with how tough the recruiting wars are nowdays.

I'll keep cheering every top recruit we get though.

VFL...GBO!!!

8-4 in 2019 means we lose to the usual Alabama and Georgia plus 2 of the following:

Georgia State
Brigham Young
Chattanooga
UAB
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

If that is not a career ender, we need to re-evaluate our priorities. Basketball maybe? Women's softball?

If y'all think my post was so dumb, I think y'all haven't looked at the schedule and done the math.

8-4 in 2019 means we lose to the usual Alabama and Georgia plus 2 of the following:

Georgia State
Brigham Young
Chattanooga
UAB
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

If that is not a career ender, we need to re-evaluate our priorities. Basketball maybe? Women's softball?

If y'all think my post was so dumb, I think y'all haven't looked at the schedule and done the math.

Did ya forget Florida, Mississippi State, Mizzou and South Carolina there, OSD? :)

Not saying 8-4 is good for 2019, or bad. Just saying you left off some teams. It is entirely possible to go 8-4 in 2019 and not lose to a single team you listed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Did ya forget Florida, Mississippi State, Mizzou and South Carolina there, OSD? :)

Not saying 8-4 is good for 2019, or bad. Just saying you left off some teams. It is entirely possible to go 8-4 in 2019 and not lose to a single team you listed.

You and I must not being doing that Soddy Maff.

We had better be competitive by 2020 when we go to Norman oklahoma. That is three years . If we are 7-5 we have the wrong coach. This year 6-6 would be good with 7-5/8-4 the next.

We had better be competitive by 2020 when we go to Norman oklahoma. That is three years . If we are 7-5 we have the wrong coach. This year 6-6 would be good with 7-5/8-4 the next.

Looking at the 2019 schedule (substitute Mississippi State for Auburn, and BYU for West Virginia), and knowing it will be CJP & crew's 2nd year, I honestly do expect ~ 9-3 or so then. If he's our future, that is imminently doable.

Having said that, 2019 is probably too far out to be looking, for now. Let's get through at least most of 2018 first.

Go Vols!

No.

I did not forget Florida, Mississippi State, Missouri nor South Carolina. I think we'll beat them.

Florida sucks so bad that South Carolina wound up with the coach that built the sucking Florida team. Mississippi State lost the coach that kept them from sucking and Missouri sucks.

We'll have to look elsewhere for our losses to be 8-4.

I'm not saying we won't run the table against BYU, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Chattanooga, and Georgia State. I'm saying IF WE DON'T, Pruitt goes back to assisting.

No.

I did not forget Florida, Mississippi State, Missouri nor South Carolina. I think we'll beat them.

Florida sucks so bad that South Carolina wound up with the coach that built the sucking Florida team. Mississippi State lost the coach that kept them from sucking and Missouri sucks.

We'll have to look elsewhere for our losses to be 8-4.

I'm not saying we won't run the table against BYU, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Chattanooga, and Georgia State. I'm saying IF WE DON'T, Pruitt goes back to assisting.

So you're saying you're confident we'll beat Florida, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Mizzou...

...but there's a chance we lose two games to Vandy, Kentucky, BYU, and the non-power 5 opponents.

Hmm.

Okay.

Seems topsy-turvy to me, but okay.

So you're saying you're confident we'll beat Florida, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Mizzou...

...but there's a chance we lose two games to Vandy, Kentucky, BYU, and the non-power 5 opponents.

Hmm.

Okay.

Had that been what I said, it would be topsy-turvy.

Start at the beginning. Read slowly. Take notes. If what I said remains unclear to you at that point, we'll have a discussion (though in all likelihood, a one sided one).

Hmm.

Okay.

Nevermind all that. Just read the last paragraph of the comment to which you responded.

Nevermind all that. Just read the last paragraph of the comment to which you responded.

Yeah, I read it the first time.

But, just like your opinion on our chances against FL-MS-USCe-Mizzou vice Vandy-Ky-BYU-G5s, I'm can't agree with your opinion on what an 8-4 result would do to CJP's career.

In short, we disagree. He wouldn't be fired after going 8-4 in 2019. No plugs will be pulled after just two seasons, short of off-field shenanigans.

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah, I read it the first time.

But, just like your opinion on our chances against FL-MS-USCe-Mizzou vice Vandy-Ky-BYU-G5s, I'm can't agree with your opinion on what an 8-4 result would do to CJP's career.

In short, we disagree. He wouldn't be fired after going 8-4 in 2019. No plugs will be pulled after just two seasons, short of off-field shenanigans.

I know.

I'm just trying to cause conversation and consternation. Don't like the NBA. Cardinals not doing as good as I need them to. Garden is planted and sold calves last week. Made my wife get off the mower so I could kill some time. If you have any better suggestions how I use my time, I'm all ears.

I know.

I'm just trying to cause conversation and consternation. Don't like the NBA. Cardinals not doing as good as I need them to. Garden is planted and sold calves last week. Made my wife get off the mower so I could kill some time. If you have any better suggestions how I use my time, I'm all ears.

I'm with you, brother. It's a long, slow slog to August and football, every year.

VN Store

Back