Pruitt will have a better record than Fulmer

OP...If the Volunteers upset the Mountaineers game 1...knock of the next two scheduled games with honorable but small schools, face the Gators 3-0 and beat them in Neyland...I'd still need about 100 games played at a 85% win percentage before I'd say yeah you might be right.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Look at this gif the first thing to cross my mind is "Did you really have to read that off the card MJ?"

Reactions: 1 person
Think about the logic behind this for just a minute... If Pruitt even equals what Fulmer did in his first 6 seasons, that would be:

1993: 10-2 (including the forfeited Alabama tie)
1994: 8-4
1995: 11-1
1996: 10-2
1997: 11-2 (SEC Championship)
1998: 13-0 (SEC & National Championship)

Considering what he has inherited, this would be one of the all time great rebuilds in modern history and Pruitt would definitely succeed Saban at Alabama long before he had enough time to win as much at Tennessee as Fulmer did. Of course, if he wins big at Tennessee and leaves, I don't think most Tennessee fans will hold that against him.

They would definitely hold it against him. I wouldn't, but how many threads are there calling UT a top job and a destination program? The wolves would howl loud and long.

In Phil's case, he played here, was an offensive line coach, offensive coordinator and a strong recruiter. He didn't "inherit" the Tennessee program, he was an important part in building it. I find the use of that word to be quite disrespectful of Fulmer's coaching career.

And hell no Pruitt will not win 150 games at Tennessee. I find that highly unlikely.

And as far as the SEC of the 90's being "weak", every team faced the other teams, so that weak nonsense doesn't matter. Wonder why no one says the SEC was "weak" when they slob all over Spurrier? Makes absolutely no sense.

Reactions: 3 people
I actually think the East is better now than it was in the early 90s in a few respects. It was basically UT and FL then the rest.

Expansion has added depth to the league. Arkansas and SC were just getting their footing when Fulmer took over and both have improved. Adding TX A&M and Missouri added some quality depth as well.

Even the bad teams from the 90s are fairly competitive like Vandy... KY..Ole Miss.. and MS ST.

Basically I think the bad teams in the East from the 90s have gotten somewhat better and the addition of SC and Missouri has added to it as well.

Despite what UGA did last year I don't see any of the East teams competing with Bama any time soon but top to bottom I think the East has improved from when Fulmer took over.

Gonna be tougher for anyone to sustain success IMO.

You don’t see anyone competing with bama from the east? ...??? Despite the fact that Georgia took Alabama to the wire and was a fluke play away from beating them.. smdh.

So you think he’s going to win 75% of his games? And up until Fulmer’s last few years he had a winning percentage over 80%. So let’s say we win 6 games like most of us think we will, he will have to average at least 10 wins per season to even sniff what Fulmer did.

So Jeremy Pruitt could go 9-3 (even 10-3, with a bowl win) this season, then go 10-2 (even 12-2 with an SEC championship and bowl win) next year, and then go 14-1 in his third year (with or without a national championship, you pick),...

...and his 3-year record, at 36-6, would go down in the history books as more flashy and yet less meaty than Phillip Fulmer's 152-52.

Because getting to 86% win rate and a championship over three years is gaudy-good, for sure. But it's still not sustained excellence over a long period of time.

So...as unlikely (and awesome) as that kind of three-year ride would be, I'm still not sure that 50 or 100 years from now, Vols fans would see Jeremy as better than Phillip.

They're just two different kinds of excellent.

Reactions: 1 person
I hope he does.

Hell, I hope he’s the greatest of all time but he’s never even been a HC before. Kind of hard to crown him yet.

There you go ... You heard it here first. I'll revisit this thread in 5 years

Fake prophesizing If not done by D4H. Seriously, no Pruitt won't. The SEC has too many talented teams and that will continue to be so for years to come. Further, parity in programs nationwide has and is increasing, even among traditionally weaker conferences such as the ACC, and mid-tier PAC-12 teams. However, I do see us at least contending for either/and SECC, CFP slots. Fulmer built his legacy at a time of a relatively weak SEC and an era the UT should have had at least three national championships as we had so much talent it was almost shameful. But steroids (OKLA and Neb mostly) and small bits of bad luck long with the usual finicky ass-backwards selection process did us in. That perfect storm is highly unlikely to repeat itself we, however much you and myself included wish it would. Pruitt won't reach that lofty perch that Fulmer did.

These kind of predictions always end up well

Yea, but ain't it funny how most of the guys that make fun of those making these type of predictions, seem to take so much pleasure in telling them how wrong they were afterwards?

Pruitt is gonna need a hell of a lot of luck (and tacos)if he is gonna outpace ole Phil.

Think about the logic behind this for just a minute... If Pruitt even equals what Fulmer did in his first 6 seasons, that would be:

1993: 10-2 (including the forfeited Alabama tie)
1994: 8-4
1995: 11-1
1996: 10-2
1997: 11-2 (SEC Championship)
1998: 13-0 (SEC & National Championship)

Considering what he has inherited, this would be one of the all time great rebuilds in modern history and Pruitt would definitely succeed Saban at Alabama long before he had enough time to win as much at Tennessee as Fulmer did. Of course, if he wins big at Tennessee and leaves, I don't think most Tennessee fans will hold that against him.

Those were good times on Rocky Top!

VN Store

Back