Pruitt breaks down QB unit

I don't think he means thats why JG is starting over KC. To me, he means that they are trying to give KC game reps right now to keep him ready for if something happens to JG. There is no way of knowing if KC would out perform JG if he had come in the fall instead of spring. And I am sure if Pruitt thought KC gives Tennessee the best chance to win he would he starting.

DISCLAIMER: As long as the best player is playing I have no preference between JG and KC.

That's not what you said in the opening post. Backtrack much. You started the same misleading quotes from the article about Helton.

Reactions: lexkyvol and KBVol
Although JG has made some mistakes I think he has come a long way and is a decent QB. He can't really show improvement until he has a line to stand behind and stops getting smoked by D-linemen. KC would look worse than JG if he were starting IMO. He doesn't have the wheels to get out of trouble the way that JG has, and he is not built to make throws our of the pocket and on the run. CJP knows what he is doing and is starting the best player who gives us the best chance to win. Once again, when our O-line protects him he will grow and being to show how good he can be.

“We have two quarterbacks that are playing right now,” Pruitt said. “Will (McBride) is the next guy, we will redshirt JT (Shrout). With Keller not here in the spring, we have to take advantage of the opportunities we have with him, and Will continues to take reps.”

CJP

CJP says Keller not coming in the spring is why JG is starting and Shrout will redshirt.

Pruitt discusses QBs on SEC teleconference

You completely mischaracterized what he said. Did you think we wouldn’t read the article?

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills champ. You completely whiffed on the other thread you started earlier where you said Helton claimed JG was holding the ball too long, when he said the exact opposite in the actual article.

You got no credibility slick.

“We have two quarterbacks that are playing right now,” Pruitt said. “Will (McBride) is the next guy, we will redshirt JT (Shrout). With Keller not here in the spring, we have to take advantage of the opportunities we have with him, and Will continues to take reps.”

CJP

There’s a poise about KC that I like. There’s a toughness in JG that I like. TN has two very serviceable qb’s. The team will be fine this year.
I predict we will see both of them this year. This line is going to get our qbs hurt. Might need all 3.

There’s a poise about KC that I like. There’s a toughness in JG that I like. TN has two very serviceable qb’s. The team will be fine this year.
You don’t like JG’s poise? Kid got his brains beat out all last year, was nearly decapitated on the first play of the season vs WVa, got his helmet knocked off at least twice later in the first half.....and kept getting up on the way to completing 19 of 25 passes. Almost the definition of poise. Anc doesn’t that much larger sample size, vs much better competition help us understand why JG has won the job and why KC is the backup? Then add in that JG has the much higher ceiling and can (according to pretty everybody who’s seen them practice) make all the throws where KC can’t.

That's not what you said in the opening post. Backtrack much. You started the same misleading quotes from the article about Helton.
Dude wtf are you talking about? I didnt start this thread, so tell me exactly where I backtracked. Ironic that the very next post by you, as well as the very next post in the thread talks about reading comprehension.
Reading is fundamental. Reading comprehension is not....Especially here on VN.

CJP says Keller not coming in the spring is why JG is starting and Shrout will redshirt.

Pruitt discusses QBs on SEC teleconference

OP you are a little late for the "Monday morning QB's" and coaches. Wednesday and Thursday they've moved on to faulting the upcoming weeks game plan and play calling.

1-when-I-realize-it-s-Monday-funny-gif.gif

If CK gets a whole quarter or half to play, I dare say he'll take that QB job and run with it. He has too much experience and skills but hasn't had the chance to show it yet. Love JG, really love the guy, but in short spurts when not just handing off, we've seen KC gets stuff done. Even when handing off, I think he sells the option aspect better than JG. Did he hand it off or does he still have the ball? Did he just throw a dump pass or not? He justs sells it better.

I've said this since he transferred, KC isn't close to what you and some others make him out to be. If he was, he wouldn't be a Graduate Transfer that lost the job at Stanford and couldn't win the job here. Give it a rest.

I've said this since he transferred, KC isn't close to what you and some others make him out to be. If he was, he wouldn't be a Graduate Transfer that lost the job at Stanford and couldn't win the job here. Give it a rest.

Hey! Stop Trumpizing me! I have first amendment rights. I could claim the sky is red (which it is sometimes), though in truth it's black. So if I think CK is better than you think, I can say so. This ain't Russia or China, you know.
kisspng-smiley-emoticon-devil-clip-art-red-satan-5a7a8cf51caeb4.6157259215179809171175.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 82_VOL_83
JG is the starter. JG needs to take some giant steps forward and remain the starter. The article doesn't say why JG is the starter... but presumably because he gives UT the best chance to win. I don't think the OP is correct in saying KC would be the starter if he'd went through spring. I also don't think JG is as secure as some others do. Coaches emphasize "management of the offense". JG needs to develop well and quickly. If mental mistakes start hurting the team then KC will get his shot.

The Vols will struggle to score points in every SEC game. This is what happens when:
--you only have one offensive lineman with SEC starter ability
--all of your running backs are bottom of the SEC level RBs.
--your WR corps struggle to get off the line of scrimmage and/or get separation from D1 DBs
--your QBs are bottom of the SEC level QBs....regardless of which one is playing.

This is not an overly talented SEC team on either side of the ball.

JG is the starter. JG needs to take some giant steps forward and remain the starter. The article doesn't say why JG is the starter... but presumably because he gives UT the best chance to win. I don't think the OP is correct in saying KC would be the starter if he'd went through spring. I also don't think JG is as secure as some others do. Coaches emphasize "management of the offense". JG needs to develop well and quickly. If mental mistakes start hurting the team then KC will get his shot.
JG was was better and is better. It's obvious why he is starting.

If you have no agenda like you say, why keep saying he can't grasp the mental aspects so he is taking too many sacks why he has only taken a couple this year? Why say he can't make reads or good decisions when the reoprsts all say he is much better, he has no turnovers, and is completing 70%+. His play and all the people covering the team say he is much better in all the mental aspects, yet you still have some odd obession with his mental abilities.

You keep waiting for some sign of " mental mistakes" to justify why Chryst or Shrout should play when JG is superior mentally to both QBs.

He already took a huge jump. He doesn't need to take " giant steps."

Reactions: lexkyvol
JG was was better and is better. It's obvious why he is starting.

If you have no agenda like you say, why keep saying he can't grasp the mental aspects so he is taking too many sacks why he has only taken a couple this year? Why say he can't make reads or good decisions when the reoprsts all say he is much better, he has no turnovers, and is completing 70%+. His play and all the people covering the team say he is much better in all the mental aspects, yet you still have some odd obession with his mental abilities.
Maybe for the same reason I say that KC has physical limitations that make me hope JG takes some big steps forward. So if you have no agenda... why do you continue to strip my comments out of context so you can pretend I don't like JG.

Obsession with his mental abilities? He hasn't been able to consistently move the O against quality competition. Do you want me to falsely say that is a physical problem? Do you want me to lay 100% of the blame on other players just so I don't say something that upsets you?

My obsession with his mental development is because I think he has the potential to be one of the best QB's to play at UT in a very long time if he improves it enough. I think the guys around him have to improve as well... but if he improves that area then his development will help them play better too.

You keep waiting for some sign of " mental mistakes" to justify why Chryst or Shrout should play when JG is superior mentally to both QBs.
Hmm. I've said often that I hope it isn't necessary to play KC. He's a smart guy. He did some "good" things managing the O at Stanford. He also made some real boneheaded plays and decisions.

Please prove that JG is "superior mentally" than both of those guys. He is definitely more developed in the system than Shrout. They want to RS Shrout and give him time to develop his understanding of the system and speed of the college game. If he's some kind of prodigy then he could catch JG. If they at some point decide that JG has topped out below where they want him to be then they could decide to "play for the future". But realistically... Shrout isn't likely to catch JG. Chryst is a smart guy. He comes from a football family. He'll probably be a coach some day.

He already took a huge jump. He doesn't need to take " giant steps."
Dude... the O was anemic against a middling Big 12 D then ran over ETSU aided by the D and ST's. He has to prove that he has taken a huge jump.

UT gets the mother of all warm up games this week. UTEP is flat out horrible. Then we get a test of how far JG has come and how much the staff has been able to coach up the OL.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
19/25 vs WVU. No turnovers. Over 70% passing. 152 qb rating.

There is no way to justify saying he isn't getting things mentally. The coaches say he is. The reporters say he is. He hasn't done anything to hold back the offense and he definitely isnt responsible for "anemic" offense vs WVU which is a top ten team. He converted pretty much all the opportunities he had.

At this point you are nitpicking.

VN Store

Back