Pruitt breaks down QB unit

Pruitt may run JG through the Florida game. Ball velocity keeps the corners tight near the sidelines. KC may not be able to make that throw to behind the line of scrimmage.

Quit talking about QBs. JG is the better QB and quite frankly it’s not that close.

I believe Keller can be a competent backup if we need him however.
OK guys we can quit talking about who’s better. This guy with the animated avatar has cleared it all up

You’re assuming we have alternatives that are better. As things stand, JG is just our least bad QB.

Well Pruitt has said JG and KC are even. Others on here say other reports say differently.

I'm going to defer to the head coach. Now I want JG to get better and I want him to succeed. But if he can't score against garbage teams he won't be able to score against SEC teams.

I hope he takes another step forward in the UTEP game.

Well Pruitt has said JG and KC are even. Others on here say other reports say differently.

Got a link on that? I don’t remember hearing that one. I know going into the WVU game Pruitt said they went with JG because he gives them the best chance to win, though. And basically everybody in the media and insiders have been pretty consistent in saying it wasn’t much ignored a QB battle during camp.

I'm going to defer to the head coach. Now I want JG to get better and I want him to succeed. But if he can't score against garbage teams he won't be able to score against SEC teams.

I hope he takes another step forward in the UTEP game.
And if a guy with twice as much experience as a starting QB can’t beat out someone who can’t even score against ETSU, that’s Pretty telling about his lack of potential.

Here is my question for those who’ve been able to see any extended workouts or videos of Chryst from Stanford. Is he more of a dual threat than JG. It seems to me that JG just refuses to run any kind of RPO or move the pocket or scramble at all.

0 TDs vs ETSU. Since you think he is so superior. JG is good but unless he can throw TDs he will never be great.
How we any scoring drives did he lead? That is not how things work. If he takes care of the ball, drives us downfield and the rb punches it in and we win the coaches won’t care if he has 12tds on the season or 30.

Reactions: GreyWolf1129
Here is my question for those who’ve been able to see any extended workouts or videos of Chryst from Stanford. Is he more of a dual threat than JG. It seems to me that JG just refuses to run any kind of RPO or move the pocket or scramble at all.
IMO he’s a better runner than JG. That’s probably the best thing he could bring to our offense. But if JG gets hurt and Chryst goes in, I’m not sure how much they’d want him to run.

Got a link on that? I don’t remember hearing that one. I know going into the WVU game Pruitt said they went with JG because he gives them the best chance to win, though. And basically everybody in the media and insiders have been pretty consistent in saying it wasn’t much ignored a QB battle during camp.

And if a guy with twice as much experience as a starting QB can’t beat out someone who can’t even score against ETSU, that’s Pretty telling about his lack of potential.

I think I took a quote out of context. Anyways my point is JG has things to work on him and I want him to continue being the starter. I want him to succeed and be a great QB.

How we any scoring drives did he lead? That is not how things work. If he takes care of the ball, drives us downfield and the rb punches it in and we win the coaches won’t care if he has 12tds on the season or 30.

I dont disagree. We need to be able to score deep though. That way there isn't an ability for a defense to make a stop in the redzone.

I think I took a quote out of context. Anyways my point is JG has things to work on him and I want him to continue being the starter. I want him to succeed and be a great QB.
I’m hoping the light will come on for him, too. I’m not sure if I think it ever will or not, though.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
RPO, Run Pass Option, is actually a called run play with a pass option. The offensive line blocks run wither way, but it's JG's job to decide, either before the snap or after snap, to pull the ball from the RB and throw. Almost all QB's in the NFL run RPO's, whether it's a mobile QB or a pocket passer. I believe you're thinking of a conventional QB option play.

Reactions: butchna
The wrs need to be better after the catch and the play calling could be a lot less conservative.
I understand what you are saying. Maybe they will start to open it up as the competition increases. Could just have been that they wanted JG to get confidence before opening up the pass game.

What... "this offensive system" is power run game, ball control. Noth JG and Chryst and drop back QB's. This is the exact system that they fit

Cool. Since we don't have to worry about his passing ability, or anything not related to handing the ball off, we can just put a 300 lb reserve lineman back there, right?

Cool. Since we don't have to worry about his passing ability, or anything not related to handing the ball off, we can just put a 300 lb reserve lineman back there, right?

I guess you are blind because JG's arm isnt the problem. He has been accurate and has good arm strength. They are pro-style QB's. Look that up

I guess you are blind because JG's arm isnt the problem. He has been accurate and has good arm strength. They are pro-style QB's. Look that up

So far JG is improved some from last year, but outside of Florida, and possibly Arkansas, there's not another team in the SEC whose QB he would beat out for the starting spot.

I'd say he's got plenty of room for improvement.

Reactions: sjt18
So Heisman favorite qb with a top 15 team is middling?
"D" stands for defense. Pretty basic but somehow you didn't get that... or do you think Grier played LB too?

The coaches have also raced about him and said he is doing much better. Of course they would never say he is perfect. You have to motivate the players. No player will ever be perfect anyway.
I'm guessing you meant "raved"? Assuming that, where have they "raved"? I've said many times that what JG does well is throw the ball. He has a top tier O. But that isn't all there is to being a QB. You have to "manage the O". The QB is expected to lead the O to scores.

14 points with a first time head coach and play caller with the starting rb going out early. Not great but understandable in the situation.
He did great with what was asked. They should have passed the ball more.
And this exemplifies what I'm talking about. Blame the coaches. Blame injuries. Blame OL. Blame RB's. Blame the "situation". Blame to playcalling. Blame ANYTHING rather than admit that JG didn't get it done.

You and others keep going to completion % and no turnovers. That's good. But it could also be indicative of a lack of trust or a lack of confidence on his part to take chances. QB's have to make good risk/reward decisions. For instance, JG completed an underneath throw to Callaway vs ETSU that had absolutely no chance of converting the 3rd and long. At the goal line he attempted a throw to DWA that had no chance of producing a TD and was bailed out by a defensive penalty.

There is such a thing as being too safe... so safe you can't produce.

He needs to improve. He has improved. The mental aspects aren't a "problem." They are just one part of his game that he is still improving. Even Brady tries to work on things still.
He has improved. And... according to his own OC... he has a "long way" to go. The mental part was a bigger problem last year. It is a lesser problem now. It has to improve significantly for UT to compete with any SEC opponent.

The season just started. Let see how many wins he gets. The guy winning three games per year before coming here definitely isn't the answer though.
That's just a flat out dishonest characterization of KC's record. IIRC, in his starts he's something like 11-2. Personally I would give their run game more credit than him... but it is dishonest to characterize it as "three games per year" when he didn't start every game in each of those years.

all u do is subliminally show ur hate for JG being the starter. go be a fan of another team!
All you do is show your hate for everyone else on the offense and blame them to avoid admitting JG has any weaknesses. Go be the fan of another team.

Seriously though, is your worldview so incredibly warped that you think honest criticism is the equivalent of "hate"? I don't "hate" JG or him being the starter... I just want him to improve weaknesses in his game so that he can WIN as a starter. Only 14 points against a D like WVU's... ain't going to get it done. Period. The offense was NOT effective and the QB's management of the O plays into that no matter how badly you would rather ignore that fact.

That's just a flat out dishonest characterization of KC's record. IIRC, in his starts he's something like 11-2. Personally I would give their run game more credit than him... but it is dishonest to characterize it as "three games per year" when he didn't start every game in each of those years.

In the spirit of HONESTY then, you can’t trot out this 11-2 record as some impressive endorsement of Chryst as a QB...when it isn’t. He was on campus four seasons and by your rationale he was a four year player (you recently referred to JG as a third year player)...so in three years of playing he managed 11 wins in a run heavy offense. He was either bested by other quarterbacks and/or injuries. Out-competing other starting candidates and health are part of the grading package...and he’s found lacking more often than not. I’d like one HONEST poster championing Chryst (not pointing that at you) to explain how Stanford lost to San Diego State last season. They had Rashad Penny and a game roster but no doubt Stanford was better in all areas. Their QB was needed to help generate a win and he failed EPICALLY! That’s facts never brought into evidence and a huge reason I give JG a huge leap of faith due to him never failing on that scale. To “honestly criticize” JG at the beginning of his second year of playing as being the sum total of what he’s SHOWN whilst apologizing for Chryst’s own lacking is easily misconstrued as BIAS.

Last edited:
Not pointing anyone out, but since I’ve been a Vols fan I’ve heard a lot of talk on quarterbacks. Brandon Stewart, A.J. Suggs, C.J. Leak, Ric Clausen, Brent Schaefer, Jonathan Crompton, Justin Worley, Nathan Peterman, B.J. Coleman, Riley Fergusson, Will McBride, and a few others I can’t remember were all said to be better than starters they were behind. Few of those ever made much impact at UT.
Granted, some of our stars were also mentioned. But for the most part, the majority of the best ones were usually the full time starters for a reason.

There’s a poise about KC that I like. There’s a toughness in JG that I like. TN has two very serviceable qb’s. The team will be fine this year.

Interesting that Will McBride isn't even a thought and I get that. He's little more than a walk-on on the depth chart. What amused me was how the announcers covering the first game he played last November were lamenting how the team was "ripping his redshirt off". I was thinking to myself who gives a rip? This is not a guy who you have to keep around and protect for 5 yrs. Shows some of these guys doing the games are idiots and don't know the teams they're covering

VN Store

Back