Pros and Cons of continuing or dumping Checkered Neyland.

Im all for it, except at this years florida game.
To me it says we suck at football and need another gimmick to generate enthusiasm and divert attention away from the fact that we suck at football. Just win the game.
Funny. Oklahoma fans stripe their stadium. Are you saying they suck at football and need a gimmick?

Reactions: KCMOTIGERS
I agree. It's unique and photogenic when seen on TV. Still, it shouldn't be overdone. And it should vary enough to provoke news and social media chatter about which team we do it for next. Great for the UT brand as long as it's not overdone and becomes old news all too soon. Since it was fan originated, I suggest a fan-based council that meets via teleconference to dictate when to checker Neyland. Council members should be vetted Vols fans. Maybe vetted via proof of having attended the UT which can be done with admission office (AO) records and/or season ticket holders only by AO and the Ticket Office (TO) stating YES or NO whether council candidates have UT ties. But why a preference for teleconference? That way we get a broader based input from UT fans across the nation rather than a regionally or Knoxville only biased bunch of folks with limited vision. Further, I'd suggest the council be limited to 8 members with three backup members in case of absences, personal mishaps, or communication difficulties. All serving only a 2 year stint, new selections should include the 3 backups and selections from fans living in other regions or states not duplicating the ones preceeding them. OK ready to be branded as evil beyond the orange gospel.

Maybe let the UT Student council decide or students decide in Daily Beacon vote?

I participated in it a couple of times and I thought it looked really cool. It looked great on TV.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Maybe let the UT Student council decide or students decide in Daily Beacon vote?

Alums, not students. There's valuable perspective that comes with time, and most students simply haven't had time to gain it yet.

Put differently: students are engaged in the University; alumni are invested.

EDIT: actually, even better than either of those, a survey of season ticket holders would be the most appropriate venue.

Difficult reading huh? Oklahoma doesnt suck...we do. Maybe you should re read what i wrote
You said

Im all for it, except at this years florida game.
To me it says we suck at football and need another gimmick to generate enthusiasm and divert attention away from the fact that we suck at football. Just win the game.
Sounds to me like your saying it's a gimmick to cover up the fact that we suck.

Once a year is cool. It needs to only happen when we have a likely sellout and when opposing fan numbers are not really high. Florida makes the most sense typically.

I am against, but only based on the ju-ju part. It can be like asking your girl to marry you on the the jumbotron and she says no. Other than that, it looks cool if it works out.

I thank God I don't support a team that has cow bells or horns!

No. Fewer heads means it's easier to agree on something. Also we're talking fans. If I recall right, it wasn't students who got this done the first or second times. It was just fans coordinatoring and cooperating. I don't think even Oklahoma has that type of regular Bernadette & Jerry fans generated spirit motivating characteristic.

Last edited:
Checkerboard Neyland is an awesome tradition and it wasn't started by Butch anyway.

Let's stop trying to disassociate from everything in the Butch Jones years. On the whole, he was a below average coach, but that doesn't mean that everything that happened from 2013 - 2017 should be eliminated.

Absolutely continue doing it. Good things can come from bad coaches such as the VFL program. There’s no bad luck associated with checkering the stadium. It looks amazing and is a really cool tradition that sticks in the mind of anyone who sees it. What a tremendous idea by whoever came up with it.

Reactions: SmokinBob
I haven’t gotten to experience it in person, but I would like to. I would say for this year it should be done for our last OOC game or one of the last 4. I think any other game in the gauntlet resulting in a loss might ruin the tradition.

I like it it but I'm more concerned with getting away from the grey. Neyland looked awesome before everyone started wearing grey to the games.

Reactions: knoxvol16
It was organized by the fans, not by Butch. It’s a cool new tradition, it’s a sight to see and little things like that could help blow a recruits mind. Not to mention it looks pretty intimidating from the field I would imagine. I say keep it up.

Dump it like an ex girlfriend that gave you a curable STD..... Nothing but trouble and doctor bills..

VN Store

Back