Pros and Cons of continuing or dumping Checkered Neyland.

Vfl2407

So, our knowledgeable football wise fan base gets it about this team. It’s been well disected since WVU loss.
We are mostly worried about the off line, a lack of pass rush, and youth/poor play in the secondary.
We realize the gauntlet of Georgia, Auburn, Bama back to back to back will be brutal.
Realistically, most of us are hoping to beat Florida and find 2 more SEC wins in November to get to 6-6 and a bowl.

That being said, where are we with the stuff that surrounds the games?
We know that CJP is football only. No interest in media or fan interaction or the peripheral stuff.
So, where does that leave the fans with something like checkering Neyland which was a fan created tradition for one game a year started four years ago.

The Case Against:
Too tied to Butch era.
Was a gimmick - Pruitt all about a no gimmicks, no frills environment. E.g. dropping gray alternate uniforms.
We almost always lost in checkering games. Bad juju.
We should instead just be encouraging our fans to always wear all Orange to games.

The Case For:
It looks really good inside the stadium and on tv.
It’s only for the fans to do something fun and different once a year.
It has nothing to do with results on field. We’ve just always checkered in the past against superior opponents.
It’s a great marketing tool that our recruiting office uses in pictures and brochures sent to recruits.

I see both opinions and neither is right or wrong. I’d wear a purple polka dotta fig leaf if it somehow helped us win.

It’s awe inspiring. Sure it’s a gimmick, but what’s not a gimmick?

Why else should we pitch out?

Vol walk?
Rocky Top?
Running thru the T?
Orange?
The trash can?
VFL?
The Pride of the Southland Band?
Painting the Rock?
Walking Horses at Homecoming?

I think it looks great. So much better than the stripes OU does.

I will never understand why our win-loss record is brought up in the checker conversation. Yes, we are 1-3 in those games, but we are also something like 3-13 versus ranked teams/Florida at home since 2009. Time to change the school colors I guess, since we suck every time we all wear orange :rolleyes:

EDIT: Not trying to single you out for putting it on your list! I'm mostly annoyed at people that scream to kill off the tradition purely based on it somehow being bad luck!

Last edited:
It’s awe inspiring. Sure it’s a gimmick, but what’s not a gimmick?

Why else should we pitch out?

Vol walk?
Rocky Top?
Running thru the T?
Orange?
The trash can?
VFL?
The Pride of the Southland Band?
Painting the Rock?
Walking Horses at Homecoming?

I think it looks great. So much better than the stripes OU does.
Add Smokey to that list. A blue tick hound doesn't exactly exemplify fear and has zero to do with "volunteering" for anything.

just a joke BTW. Love smokey.

Most people really love it so it's a Tradition now that we should keep forever!

I'd like to see it 2 times every season.

I'd bet that the kids we're recruiting love it too.

VFL...GBO!!!

Once a year is ok.

I agree. It's unique and photogenic when seen on TV. Still, it shouldn't be overdone. And it should vary enough to provoke news and social media chatter about which team we do it for next. Great for the UT brand as long as it's not overdone and becomes old news all too soon. Since it was fan originated, I suggest a fan-based council that meets via teleconference to dictate when to checker Neyland. Council members should be vetted Vols fans. Maybe vetted via proof of having attended the UT which can be done with admission office (AO) records and/or season ticket holders only by AO and the Ticket Office (TO) stating YES or NO whether council candidates have UT ties. But why a preference for teleconference? That way we get a broader based input from UT fans across the nation rather than a regionally or Knoxville only biased bunch of folks with limited vision. Further, I'd suggest the council be limited to 8 members with three backup members in case of absences, personal mishaps, or communication difficulties. All serving only a 2 year stint, new selections should include the 3 backups and selections from fans living in other regions or states not duplicating the ones preceeding them. OK ready to be branded as evil beyond the orange gospel.

So, our knowledgeable football wise fan base gets it about this team. It’s been well disected since WVU loss.
We are mostly worried about the off line, a lack of pass rush, and youth/poor play in the secondary.
We realize the gauntlet of Georgia, Auburn, Bama back to back to back will be brutal.
Realistically, most of us are hoping to beat Florida and find 2 more SEC wins in November to get to 6-6 and a bowl.

That being said, where are we with the stuff that surrounds the games?
We know that CJP is football only. No interest in media or fan interaction or the peripheral stuff.
So, where does that leave the fans with something like checkering Neyland which was a fan created tradition for one game a year started four years ago.

The Case Against:
Too tied to Butch era.
Was a gimmick - Pruitt all about a no gimmicks, no frills environment. E.g. dropping gray alternate uniforms.
We almost always lost in checkering games. Bad juju.
We should instead just be encouraging our fans to always wear all Orange to games.

The Case For:
It looks really good inside the stadium and on tv.
It’s only for the fans to do something fun and different once a year.
It has nothing to do with results on field. We’ve just always checkered in the past against superior opponents.
It’s a great marketing tool that our recruiting office uses in pictures and brochures sent to recruits.

I see both opinions and neither is right or wrong. I’d wear a purple polka dotta fig leaf if it somehow helped us win.

It should never, under any circumstances be implied or stated that Pruitt or any head coach doesn't want gimmicks or anything positive that fans do ignored. I feel sure they know and watch everything fans get involved in that has a good effect on their team and attendance to games. After all they have a hard time holding a job in front of an empty stadium.

VN Store

Back