Prop Gun Fired By Alec Baldwin Kills 1 Injures 1

You do realize that your own link is primarily citing exposure as a producer and not personally as the actor that pulled the trigger?

This is another article that more heavily weights the question of the likelihood for criminal liability.

Legal experts say Alec Baldwin likely won't face murder or manslaughter charges in prop-firearm shooting that left a cinematographer dead

Chasing "could" here regarding personal criminal liability for Baldwin as the actor (at least with currently known facts) is looking for a big outlier.

I can’t stand the guy, but no way should he be criminally charged. This will haunt him for the rest of his life.

I imagine this is SOP?

I've argued from the outset the risks for Baldwin "the actor" taking the fall for this accident are pretty remote. The producers (of which he is one) are looking at real trouble with things like this:

Producers on the set of Rust in New Mexico, where Alec Baldwin accidentally shot and killed director of photography Halyna Hutchins, cut significant corners when it came to safety protocols and working conditions, according to those who were involved and familiar with the project.

Interviews with 10 production workers, documents, and emails obtained by BuzzFeed News show that those in charge of producing the Western staffed key roles with less-experienced, nonunion workers and rushed the sourcing of props, such as guns, to save money at the expense of safe and humane working conditions.

Film Crew Members Say The Alec Baldwin Prop Gun Shooting Fits A Pattern Of Safety Shortfalls

Reactions: VolnJC
The irony is not lost that libs like Baldwin think the average American is too irresponsible to own guns. But real gun owners are usually so much more responsible and careful with guns because they know what they can do. Sounds like a lot of the cast and crew were horsing around.

Reactions: Goalpost82
The irony is not lost that libs like Baldwin think the average American is too irresponsible to own guns. But real gun owners are usually so much more responsible and careful with guns because they know what they can do. Sounds like a lot of the cast and crew were horsing around.
Literally nothing indicates they were “horsing around”

Other than pointing a gun at someone.

Already had been previous discharges from prop guns on that set. Morons.

The most responsible person here is the armorer/loader. By accounts given, said armorer wasn’t the most experienced. Nothing about using the gun the day prior for target practice is horse play. Nothing.

They weren't authorized to check the gun out and didn't indicate they were using live rounds to go shoot at targets what would you call that? Research?
The set was told the weapons had been through protocol. Using them for whatever yesterday has no bearing on the next day if the armorer has done their job. I’ve fired blanks only to fire real ammo minutes later. Pretending shooting live rounds for target practice is horsing around is absolutely ludicrous. Someone either inadvertently loaded live rounds, or, worse, purposely loaded live rounds and lied calling it a cold gun.

The most responsible person here is the armorer/loader. By accounts given, said armorer wasn’t the most experienced. Nothing about using the gun the day prior for target practice is horse play. Nothing.

When it gets down to brass tacks there are people where it is literally (literally) their job, the very purpose and responsibility for which they are present and paid, to manage the safety of the props for the rest of the crew and actors. The liability for vetting and oversight of such people can go up the chain (and I expect it will given what I've heard) but, as you say, the armorers are going to be held to the highest standard of liability for shooting itself.

Reactions: volfanbill
I'm having a hard time seeing how Baldwin is not responsible for the shooting. He "thought" it wasn't loaded? He was "told" it wasn't loaded? That's fine. Rely on third hand accounts all you would like, but do so at your peril (and the peril of anyone else unlucky enough to have the gun pointed at them). There should have been first hand verification that the gun was empty, and IMO, it is negligent not to get that verification prior to pulling the trigger.

Reactions: ButchPlz
I never understood why they have live rounds in a movie set

I would not be surprised if any sort of "live" rounds, including blanks, come under tremendous scrutiny. It's entirely possible there will be a push to eliminate them altogether.

I would not be surprised if any sort of "live" rounds, including blanks, come under tremendous scrutiny. It's entirely possible there will be a push to eliminate them altogether.

technology has a come a long, long way, but it's still not easy to fake a live fire. And that's the biggest thing. Everyone wants as realistic a shot/movie as possible.

(ftr, I don't disagree with you, I'm just pointing out what the counter argument is)

VN Store

Back