Pretty Cool Fact about Barnes.

I know it's been brought up before, but I think it would benefit all parties if they moved a portion of the student section to the first rows in the lowers around mid-court. I think it's make the experience more enticing for students to come back and be really rowdy.

I know it's been brought up before, but I think it would benefit all parties if they moved a portion of the student section to the first rows in the lowers around mid-court. I think it's make the experience more enticing for students to come back and be really rowdy.

Lifetime seat licenses for one-time donations 30 years ago prevent that. It's going to take tearing down the TBA to remedy the situation.

Makes to much sense, I guess. Are those seats reserved for season tickets holders now?

Our ticket/seating structure really hurts TBA.

Reactions: 1 person
Always amazed at how perception and reality diverge on here at times. ESPN keeps team stats going back quite aways back.

Zo's best team, his last, took 55 shots per game. Bruce's took 59 shots per game. Barnes' team last season took 59 shots per game. They are within 1.5 FT's per game of each other. The 3 PT shooting % is about .2 between the three. They scored within 2.2 points per game of each other, low 70's per game. The difference in team results: one team went to the EE, one played in to a SS, and the other went nowhere. That's not to say that a handful of games' results did not alter the total stats - they could have. But Zo's last team was not as offensively challenged as his first two (69.0 and 66.3). Bruce's best team was not as high flying/paced as people seem to remember it at 73.6, when his second season was at 83 pg.

Defense. Barnes team was height challenged and not quick enough to full court press much of the time like Bruce's could in the early years. He had a very talented roster that could really play D the best season. Zo had the D, he was just inept at O despite having better talent in the first two seasons than Barnes had.

It all starts changing strongly for the better this next season for Barnes. He has the O coming together with a style that works. It will continue to attract better talent as the team wins more. It already has with this class. The D begins improving with more height, rebounding and defense that will also be able to press better due to the roster improvements.

He was much closer to the years of NCAAT appearances. The interest fades year to year when the success gets more distant... no matter who the coach happens to be.

I think that Cuonzo had pretty good support when he first came on board. But with the boring style and slow out of the gate underachieving, the support dried up pretty quickly. Then he went all cray-cray with that us versus the fans garbage in his third year.

You always show your lack of bball knowledge.

"Slow out of the gate underachieving"?

When? Which year?

When he was picked last or next to last in the SEC with a team of Freshmen and sophomores that finished Second in the SEC and made the NIT? That year?

Or the next when he lost his best player for the year and still made the NIT finishing where expected with the best player, who didn't play the whole year?

Or his last year when we were not ranked. Won over twenty games and finished a bad call away from our best finish ever?

So do you think Barnes, Tyndall, and half of Pearl's years underachieved too then?

He didn't get the support. Tyndall got more support form people on here despite slower pace with a way more boring style of play and worse results.

When? Which year?

When he was picked last or next to last in the SEC with a team of Freshmen and sophomores that finished Second in the SEC and made the NIT? That year?

Or the next when he lost his best player for the year and still made the NIT finishing where expected with the best player, who didn't play the whole year?

Or his last year when we were not ranked. Won over twenty games and finished a bad call away from our best finish ever?

So do you think Barnes, Tyndall, and half of Pearl's years underachieved too then?

He didn't get the support. Tyndall got more support form people on here despite slower pace with a way more boring style of play and worse results.

Slow out of the gate as in coming in to his final season with high expectations and barely getting into the NCAA. Or have you already forgotten?

When? Which year?

Top 10 in attendance every year. He got the support. Spare me the "fans liked Tyndall better" sob story.

Lucky for him fans cared enough about winning that they started a petition. Gave his team the sense of urgency he never could and it's brought him millions of dollars in return.

When? Which year?

2011-12: TN started 3-6.

2012-13: TN started 9-8

2013-14: TN started 7-7 in the SEC and had to win the last 4 to avoid missing the NCAAT

How is that NOT slow out of the gate?

Last edited:
Slow out of the gate as in coming in to his final season with high expectations and barely getting into the NCAA. Or have you already forgotten?

Not being ranked in the preseason is not high expectations. Or have you forgot?

No one thought we should make a Sweet 16 except people on VN who wanted to set unrealistic expectations to have something to complain about if he failed. We were not ranked in any poll. That means the expectations were not high. We almost made the Elite Eight. We overachieved. Basketball is about the whole season. Anyone that knows basketball knows individual games don't matter. We finished in the top 16 after not being ranked. No one can deny that except those with an anti-Zo agenda.

Maybe they weren't ranked in the preseason because everyone knew who was coaching......

Three pros on the team plus Jerrone Maymon. Should have been safely in the tourney and playing for seeding all year. Instead they played with no urgency until a petition was started and they luckily had enough time to make a play in game.

They didn't beat anyone with a pulse the entire season except Virginia who at the time was playing like garbage.

Not being ranked in the preseason is not high expectations. Or have you forgot?

No one thought we should make a Sweet 16 except people on VN who wanted to set unrealistic expectations to have something to complain about if he failed. We were not ranked in any poll. That means the expectations were not high. We almost made the Elite Eight. We overachieved. Basketball is about the whole season. Anyone that knows basketball knows individual games don't matter. We finished in the top 16 after not being ranked. No one can deny that except those with an anti-Zo agenda.

You're even dumber than you sound if you think that I have an anti-Zo agenda.

Thinks everyone does. We are all just a bunch of hillbilly racists.

Funny thing is... I lived my first month of life in an apartment about a block from Lambert Fieldhouse and the Boilermakers have always been my second favorite team. I was thrilled when Cuonzo was hired. I don't buy into the bull**** racist accusations, so I guess I have an anti-Zo agenda.

This is embarrassing and a reason our program was in the situation it was when Barnes got here. This fanbase is one of the most negative in the nation and turns on coaches so quick. Wonder why we keep losing them...........

What? This is pure crap.
Wade Houston got plenty of time. Oneil left on his own.
I guess the fan criticism caused Pearl to lie and Donnie to cheat before he got to UT.
Cuonzo, in addition to really bad timing, brought a lot of it on himself. He was standoffish. I met him on more than one occassion and was puzzled at how indifferent he was. He did not have any reverence for the job and played the race card when race had nothing to do with his unpopularity.

Maybe they weren't ranked in the preseason because everyone knew who was coaching......

Three pros on the team plus Jerrone Maymon. Should have been safely in the tourney and playing for seeding all year. Instead they played with no urgency until a petition was started and they luckily had enough time to make a play in game.

They didn't beat anyone with a pulse the entire season except Virginia who at the time was playing like garbage.

Lol. You are hilarious. We had two d league level guys and one who developed into a NBA player. Teams ranked for most part had multiple guys who are actual NBA players and were projected to be before that year. We had a two guys that were projected to be maybe second round guys. No one factored J Rich in as an NBA player before or after that season. Maymon was a shell of his former self.

Not being ranked but being in about the 30s was accurate for the talent level. People who do it for a living agreed. We overachieved. It doesn't matter what the record was at certain points of the year. If you knew anything at all about basketball you would know its a postseason/tournament sport. Its about finishing above where you were supposed to. We did. Also looking at the schedule I always knew we would make the tourney. Some of you don't know basketball and panicked early in the year.

Zo's teams got hot at the end when the team gelled each year. The petition didn't do anything but eff us by getting him to leave and getting stuck with Tyndall. Instead of a coach on the rise who would have had Jaylen Brown here we got Tyndull. Stop being a revisionist and lying about the actual circumstances.

Also I never said EVERYONE who didn't like Zo is racist. I said many racist things were said to him and his family. I also said SOME fans did have a problem with him due to race. SOME did. If that isn't you stfu when I'm talking about the ones who that is true about.

What? This is pure crap.
Wade Houston got plenty of time. Oneil left on his own.
I guess the fan criticism caused Pearl to lie and Donnie to cheat before he got to UT.
Cuonzo, in addition to really bad timing, brought a lot of it on himself. He was standoffish. I met him on more than one occassion and was puzzled at how indifferent he was. He did not have any reverence for the job and played the race card when race had nothing to do with his unpopularity.

Boo hoo hoo. Zo didn't kiss your boo boos and buy you ice cream.

When did he play the race card? Other people spoke on things that happened. He didn't make the racist azzholes send him and his wife death threats. Racist stuff happened. If you speak on things THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED its not playing the race card.

Cuonzo got plenty of support. No he wasn't Pearl and he wasn't loved like Pearl but he got plenty of support. More than most basketball coaches in the country. Can't compare him to Pearl cause he wasn't Pearl.
No way man. There's no way. So many people didn't like Cuonzo, it was either his personality, the way he talked, his coaching style, or his lack of aggressiveness. The fans liked the team, not necessarily Cuonzo. News flash Ziti, he WAS compared to Pearl while he was here. Cuonzo won 20 games a season and that wasn't enough for some fans.

Even in Cuonzo's 3rd year, most of fan base decided we should fire him after a bad loss to Missouri, so the Bring Back Bruce petition started when the season wasn't even over. At that point we still had chance to make the tournament but the fan support was gone (until we got to the Round of 32 our fanbase rejoiced).

Boo hoo hoo. Zo didn't kiss your boo boos and buy you ice cream.

When did he play the race card? Other people spoke on things that happened. He didn't make the racist azzholes send him and his wife death threats. Racist stuff happened. If you speak on things THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED its not playing the race card.
Do you have anything documenting racism? If so, I'm totally willing to change my position.
Zo did allow the rascism line to be circulated among his players. Bill Curry received death threats at Bama. Were those racist? Insane fans overreacting to a coach underperforming is not synonomous with racism.

In fact, I've known the Houston family and still see Wade's brother regularly. He was a horrible coach. Where were the rascist things then?

I dont need to be stroked by a coach. I've just had the pleasure of knowing quite a few and Zo was the most distant, standoffish one I've ever met.

So a lone idiot (supposedly) making a phone call to Zo's wife is somehow supposed to be the fanbase's fault? And that is the "racism" that he experienced? Really?

Has there been any other millionaire coaches receive death threats before or is Cuonzo and his wife the first?

Last edited:
Do you have anything documenting racism? If so, I'm totally willing to change my position.
Zo did allow the rascism line to be circulated among his players. Bill Curry received death threats at Bama. Were those racist? Insane fans overreacting to a coach underperforming is not synonomous with racism.

In fact, I've known the Houston family and still see Wade's brother regularly. He was a horrible coach. Where were the rascist things then?

I dont need to be stroked by a coach. I've just had the pleasure of knowing quite a few and Zo was the most distant, standoffish one I've ever met.
Most of the people saying "show me the racist things said!" Are most likely white, straight men who have never faced any sort of racism before.

Reactions: 2 people
Lol. You are hilarious. We had two d league level guys and one who developed into a NBA player. Teams ranked for most part had multiple guys who are actual NBA players and were projected to be before that year. We had a two guys that were projected to be maybe second round guys. No one factored J Rich in as an NBA player before or after that season. Maymon was a shell of his former self.

^^Translation: Veteran team with 3 pros.

Not being ranked but being in about the 30s was accurate for the talent level. People who do it for a living agreed. We overachieved. It doesn't matter what the record was at certain points of the year. If you knew anything at all about basketball you would know its a postseason/tournament sport. Its about finishing above where you were supposed to. We did. Also looking at the schedule I always knew we would make the tourney. Some of you don't know basketball and panicked early in the year.

Translation: Never beat a ranked team and got a great draw after making the dance by an eyelash.

Zo's teams got hot at the end when the team gelled each year. The petition didn't do anything but eff us by getting him to leave and getting stuck with Tyndall. Instead of a coach on the rise who would have had Jaylen Brown here we got Tyndull. Stop being a revisionist and lying about the actual circumstances.

They would get "hot" by finally playing like they had a pulse and then collapse just as they neared the bubble. The only difference in his last season was that they somehow had good computer model numbers and the petition finally made them play like they cared and Cuonzo got out of the way.

Also I never said EVERYONE who didn't like Zo is racist. I said many racist things were said to him and his family. I also said SOME fans did have a problem with him due to race. SOME did. If that isn't you stfu when I'm talking about the ones who that is true about.

It is always about race with you. Always.

VN Store

Back