Pretty Cool Fact about Barnes.

We all support UT. It's ok to be critical of any coach.
Should' we have done a better job of supporting Cuonzo or Tyndall?

Coach works for the university so therefore you should support the coach until he proves you wrong. What has Barnes done that you haven't liked so far? Not been Bruce pearl. Cut the man some slack. He's not even at the end of his 3rd year and everyone just *****es and moans about how we aren't getting every five star recruit in the world. We aren't a blue blood program. We have to develop our players and utilize the potentials they have. I'm not just talking to you. It's an observation I've made about most on here who think they could do so much better.

Last edited:
This is embarrassing and a reason our program was in the situation it was when Barnes got here. This fanbase is one of the most negative in the nation and turns on coaches so quick. Wonder why we keep losing them...........

Reactions: 1 person
This is embarrassing and a reason our program was in the situation it was when Barnes got here. This fanbase is one of the most negative in the nation and turns on coaches so quick. Wonder why we keep losing them...........

Why we keep losing them?

Derek Dooley - sucked
Dave Serrano - sucked
Donnie Tyndall - NCAA
Bruce Pearl - NCAA
Cuonzo Martin - coaching nomad who leaves town before the axe can fall

Go back and watch some games and look at the crowds. Check the attendance numbers.

He got way more fan interest and support than the last two coaches.

He was much closer to the years of NCAAT appearances. The interest fades year to year when the success gets more distant... no matter who the coach happens to be.

I think that Cuonzo had pretty good support when he first came on board. But with the boring style and slow out of the gate underachieving, the support dried up pretty quickly. Then he went all cray-cray with that us versus the fans garbage in his third year.

Go back and watch some games and look at the crowds. Check the attendance numbers.

Game attendance and fan support for a particular coach aren't mutually exclusive. Zo followed up arguably the most popular coach and most successful string of consecutive seasons in modern program history. Those fans had been starving for a winning program, and they finally had it. Attendance has fallen every year with the exception of one year in which the average varied by 100 fans or so, since Bruce Pearl was fired.

Zo was certainly not given universal support from the beginning, despite attendance numbers, for one reason, and that reason is that he wasn't Bruce Pearl. In fact, he was the anti-Bruce Pearl in just about every way. Some fans resented him for that reason alone. The high attendance numbers his first two seasons were a result of a general increased fan interest in our program during the 6 years of the Pearl era and that doesn't just drop off a cliff immediately. That interest has since steadily declined along with our success, and the casual fan who didn't attend games before Pearl has found other things to do again instead of coming out to TBA on a Wednesday night.

Game attendance and fan support for a particular coach aren't mutually exclusive. Zo followed up arguably the most popular coach and most successful string of consecutive seasons in modern program history. Those fans had been starving for a winning program, and they finally had it. Attendance has fallen every year with the exception of one year in which the average varied by 100 fans or so, since Bruce Pearl was fired.

Zo was certainly not given universal support from the beginning, despite attendance numbers, for one reason, and that reason is that he wasn't Bruce Pearl. In fact, he was the anti-Bruce Pearl in just about every way. Some fans resented him for that reason alone. The high attendance numbers his first two seasons were a result of a general increased fan interest in our program during the 6 years of the Pearl era and that doesn't just drop off a cliff immediately. That interest has since steadily declined along with our success, and the casual fan who didn't attend games before Pearl has found other things to do again instead of coming out to TBA on a Wednesday night.

I understand all that and I've tried to explain it to others on this board.

Regardless, the fans were interested, engaged and attending. Rick Barnes would kill for the crowds Zo regularly got into TBA.

Fans gave him plenty of support.

I understand all that and I've tried to explain it to others on this board.

Regardless, the fans were interested, engaged and attending. Rick Barnes would kill for the crowds Zo regularly got into TBA.

Fans gave him plenty of support.

Sure, Barnes would kill for those Cuonzo crowds. He'd have had them too if he immediately followed Pearl and not Donnie Tyndall and Martin.

Fans gave the program plenty of support, not necessarily the coach.

Sure, Barnes would kill for those Cuonzo crowds. He'd have had them too if he immediately followed Pearl and not Donnie Tyndall and Martin.

Fans gave the program plenty of support, not necessarily the coach.

Cuonzo got plenty of support. No he wasn't Pearl and he wasn't loved like Pearl but he got plenty of support. More than most basketball coaches in the country. Can't compare him to Pearl cause he wasn't Pearl.

Cuonzo got plenty of support. No he wasn't Pearl and he wasn't loved like Pearl but he got plenty of support. More than most basketball coaches in the country. Can't compare him to Pearl cause he wasn't Pearl.

Completely missing the point. The numbers you keep lauding are run-off from the Pearl era. Do you understand this concept, or are you deliberately dodging this point?

Completely missing the point. The numbers you keep lauding are run-off from the Pearl era. Do you understand this concept, or are you deliberately dodging this point?

No. And as I said, I've tried to explain that to people on this board who don't understand that attendance is inherited.

Still, the bottom line is that fans supported him and wanted to see him win. Sure, there were knuckle draggers who groaned from the beginning. There's always some of those. But bottom line is that he was supported.

That's true. The students used to care back then. I really don't blame them. The last 4 years have been blah.

This season will have the potential to turn things around IMO. It seems like we have more balance, experience, depth, size, and talent now. There are no givens, but maybe we get an at-large bid this year and make some noise.

VN Store

Back