Premiere of "The Interview" cancelled

Sony will not take a chance on reducing theatre revenues on their biggest day. They will wait until next year to introduce and probably make double the expected revenue on the film.

Sony will not take a chance on reducing theatre revenues on their biggest day. They will wait until next year to introduce and probably make double the expected revenue on the film.

Nope and nope:

According to Variety, a spokesman from Sony stated "“Sony Pictures has no further release plans for the film", which includes DVD or VOD. Many had speculated a VOD release might be forthcoming once Sony announced plans to cancel the film in theaters

This film likely won't see the light of day.

It's going to get leaked. Has to. Anonymous will hack Sony and extract it.

That doesn't seem like Anonymous's thing in this type of situation, though...if anything, they seem like they'd go after North Korea over this, not Sony.

This is a great response by one theater chain though:

Texas Theater to Show 'Team America' In Place of 'The Interview' - The Hollywood Reporter

After Sony canceled the release of the North Korea assassination comedy The Interview, a Texas theater said it would swap the film with Paramount's 2004 film Team America: World Police for one free screening.

"We're just trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation," James Wallace, creative manager and programmer at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema's Dallas/Fort Worth location, tells The Hollywood Reporter.

American flags and other patriotic items will be given out by theater employees, Wallace says.

The plot of Team America, co-written by South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, revolves around Kim Jong Il, the father of current North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. The posters promoting the R-rated movie in 2004 included the tagline, "Putting the 'F' Back in Freedom."

In The Interview, Seth Rogen and James Franco's characters are tasked with assassinating Kim Jong Un.

The Alamo Drafthouse movie theater in Dallas, Texas, will be showing Team America: World Police in place of The Interview on Dec. 27 at 7 p.m. Wallace says that the Dallas/Fort Worth location is the only location as of now that is planning to screen the replacement film.

In a note on its website, the theater added: "THAT is how true American heroes will be celebrating this year, but if you want to let the terrorists win...well, that's your prerogative."

Sony canceled the release of The Interview earlier on Wednesday after the country's five largest theater chains all decided against showing the film, saying in a statement: "We respect and understand our partners’ decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theater-goers."

Reactions: 2 people
Don't hate because I enjoy stupid comedy. My all time favorites are still Airplane, Blazing Saddles, Dumb and Dumber, Super Troopers and Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail

Did you hack my computer? I swear if you added Joe Dirt you would have had my favorites verbatim..

We just need to start a social media hashtag that points out Kim Jong Un is such a ****y that he's scared a movie can tarnish his god-like status.

I am enjoying watching hollywood liberals deal directly with radicals without a buffer. Just try to understand the terrorists feelings!

Everone's being kinda harsh on hollywood, Sony, and the movie theaters for being spineless, but if there is an incident, the liability would be through the roof. I understand why they're pulling it.

We are a nation of suers.

Reactions: 1 person
Everone's being kinda harsh on hollywood, Sony, and the movie theaters for being spineless, but if there is an incident, the liability would be through the roof. I understand why they're pulling it.

We are a nation of suers.

Interesting take. Is there precedent for this? Meaning are you (or anyone really) aware of an incident where a screening/showing of something (wouldn't necessarily have to be a movie) resulted in the venue facing a suit?

That looks like it's an issue with the door alarms. Not sure that addresses the issue of liability for simply showing something in the first place.

Of course, if one were to simply posit that if ANYTHING happened someone (based on your unfortunately accurate observation that our society is currently litigious as hell) would find SOMETHING to sue about you could be right.

Yeah. Didn't need the example of the Dark Knight to know someone will sue. I mean, the Dark Knight attack came without warning. Can you imagine in this case, having been warned?

VN Store

Back