Predict the QB situation

Well isn't he a drop back passer?

No...he dives on his belly like others. It's a really limited view to say only one type of QB works in Butch's system...he knows better...that's why he recruits different types...there's more shotgun than under center in this offense, so not much in the way of dropbacks either way.

Reactions: 1 person
Dormady is more like Worley,his skill set doesn't fit this offense.

You have no earthly idea what his skill set is until you actually see him play or hear reports from credible sources about how he looks at practice or hear from Butch and/or DeBord. The slight that he's getting because he's white is ridiculous. He may be an awful fit for the offense and the least athletic of the 3 or or he may be a great fit and more than athletic enough to be very effective. The assumptions being made about him are just ridiculous imo. Guys in here have already written the kid off and have voted him "most likely to transfer". Wth?

He's more like Worley? Why? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think Worley ever ran 4.7 or had an elite shuttle time (4.14 iirc) like QD, but hey, he's white, so he must be slow and not able to get out of his own way.

How about we let them compete? You could be 100% right, or you could be 100% wrong. Fact is, none of us will know for a few more weeks what either QD or JJ look like.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I do think Jennings gets moved after being put behind Jones and Dormady. Then possibly transferring, but who knows. I think it's pretty close between Jones and Dormady for the 2 spot. We'll see this spring.

I'm a gonna believe dat the Butch is a gonna introduce the world's first Three-QB backfield, in 2017, and every one a those pups is gonna play 4 full years together ona team, all named Starting QB (left, right, or uppa da middle).

This bigga change is a gonna revolutionize the football just like the forward pass did in the 1920s.

Bank on it, it'sa da truth.

I can't tell if you're trying to speak ebonics or NYC street Italian.

I can't see QD transferring if he cones out of spring practice lower than #2

Waaaay to early to speculate on the QB situation. The best case scenario, turns out one of the incoming freshmen is a phenom, beats out JD, and wins the Heisman. :dance:

I believe the plan will be to red shirt all of them. If the unmentionable happens, and Dobbs goes down, then I believe it will be Jones turn to step up. In any late game situations where we are either blowing out the opponent, or getting blown out ourselves, if we insert a 2nd qb, it should be one of our walk-on's. It's not like Butch has ever let the back up actually run the offense in those situations in the past, he just hands the ball off. There is no reason to waste a year of eligibility of one of our freshman QBs if all he's going to be doing is handing off the ball.

I believe the plan will be to red shirt all of them. If the unmentionable happens, and Dobbs goes down, then I believe it will be Jones turn to step up. In any late game situations where we are either blowing out the opponent, or getting blown out ourselves, if we insert a 2nd qb, it should be one of our walk-on's. It's not like Butch has ever let the back up actually run the offense in those situations in the past, he just hands the ball off. There is no reason to waste a year of eligibility of one of our freshman QBs if all he's going to be doing is handing off the ball.

You have to get your backup some real snaps...if your starter goes down, you're going to need to trot out something more substantial than a walkon...one of these freshmen doesn't redshirt.

There's nothing going on until spring practice and this will be a better discussion after the O/W game but I think it will be Dormady. He is a coach's son and I believe that this gives him a leg up in understanding the game. He has a strong accurate arm and is mobile. That said...I trust Butch to pick the right backup.

Dormady can do that, watch his film and see his very above average shuttle time. Don't just look at his picture and assume.

Rooster, you're killing it today.

Ideally, all three are redshirted and perform well enough in practice to challenge Sutton and Co.

Boy, the Dormady "dislike" (hate is just such a strong word) around here is something else. I love the other two, but just out of spite, I think I'm now gonna be QDs biggest fan.

No kidding. Dormady is the most ready college QB of the three. I don't know if JJ sticks at QB. I think Jones RS and QD will be the back up.

Heres how i see it. Jones gets the #2 this year because he seems to be the most college ready at this point based on his reads and decisions from film.he just seems ready. I think he doesnt have the ceiling qd does though so i think by year 2-3 qd will take the lead. As far as jennings i think his future is as a 1st round pick... at safety. He only plays qb in designed plays like wildcat etc.

We are too ignorant at this point to predict squat.

How bout we let spring practice happen, then August?

Is that too much to ask? Or should we just be trying hard to run off fine young men right now?

Reactions: 2 people
Dobbs
Dormady-People are underestimating his ability to get out of the pocket (go check his film)
Jennings-Redshirts if he doesn't see the requisite snaps (or moves to safety)
Jones-Redshirts at start of season (don't think he catches up to the EEs)
:good!:This. Plus, I'm wondering how many VNers read Coach DeBord's interview in which he stated he prefers whichever qb can make those "gotta' get" passes, anytime a big passing play is needed will be the man, and that the ability to run on occasion is clearly a plus. Dormady (as others have pointed out) can run quite well, plus his football IQ is quite high and his arm is NFL quality. Add to his EEing, I'd give him the edge. Jennings and Jones will be battling it out to be Dormady's # 2 in a couple of years.

It's one thing to debate something when you have some information/data/history to work from......it's entirely another thing to speculate purely out of wholecloth. So Dormady is gonna transfer??? Jeez people.

What is this wholecloth you speak of?

The guy who compared Dormady to Worley really has no idea. Worley was a statue in the pocket and some might grill me for saying this about him, but his pocket presence was absolutely horrible. Kept his eyes glued downfield too often when his head should've always been on more of a swivel. He just didn't have that awareness to compete with the best IMO. Dormady meanwhile is tough, smart, and has pretty good insincts in the pocket. I'd say he has pretty good pocket presence but you can't really put that to the test until he reaches the next level. His mobility is much more than that of Worley's IMO, in fact he looks like one of those deceptive shifty runners. Hes got a few things to work on mechanics wise but I feel like he knows what he's doing out there. The execution he shows early will probably give him the edge over the pack, but the rest will soon catch up or another like Jones, who is the most dynamic of the 3, will take the reigns after year 1.

In terms of what the depth chart will look like in the fall...

I'm guessing Dobbs, Dormady, Jennings, then Jones.

By mid season...

Dobbs, Dormady, Jones, & Jennings

Nearing seasons end...

Dobbs, Jones (however I think they prefer to RS if possible and only play 1 of the QBs as back up this yr--like Dormady), Dormady, Jennings

Jones is a gamer. I love his confidence in the pocket. He knows how to create and extend plays. Just seems to have an extra element in his game, that sort of it factor you want to see from your QB.

Jennings is a real wild card. His athleticism is ridiculous. He is smart. And he can sling it. If he puts it all together then the sky is the limit.

VN Store

Back