Practice Report...

As an undersized post guy without a lot of range, Maymon struggles at times against athletic bigs. If he has a mismatch, sure but Maymon is going to have a lot of nights where his points come off effort and rebounding, not set plays for him and on those nights going to him for a last shot won't be feasible.

It's amazing how a thought or comment gets derailed on here. I said it would be nice to finally have a backcourt player that could create his own shot over a good, athletic defender. That has morphed into a debate about the ball going inside first. Yes, I think this team's strength is inside but i would feel much better knowing we had a guy that's going to get up a decent perimeter shot (if needed) no matter who is guarding him (or close to no matter).

Maymon did a damn good job against Memphis in the final seconds in Maui, if I'm remembering the game right.

Most of the time in a last second situation, getting to the hole and getting fouled is better than any set shot you may get. Maymon is great at that.

Maymon did a damn good job against Memphis in the final seconds in Maui, if I'm remembering the game right.

Most of the time in a last second situation, getting to the hole and getting fouled is better than any set shot you may get. Maymon is great at that.

As has been pointed out in this thread already, it is very difficult to get that fouled called late in games.

fyp

I have no problem with Yemi getting his fouls in...and the Jenkins thing was just a joke. He obviously didn't mean to do it, but I loved it nonetheless.

I do hope Yemi has improved his defense this year though. He rebounded well from what I remember.

I also support the fixed version.

Goon squad!

(I'm being somewhat sarcastic...)

I heard Hall has been knocking down the 3 consistently.

Has anyone else heard this? It's sort of hard to believe he developed that much range in one offseason.

Go vols!!

I heard Hall has been knocking down the 3 consistently.

Has anyone else heard this? It's sort of hard to believe he developed that much range in one offseason.

Go vols!!

I heard that also, Think CCM said it in his presser.

I'll say it again. McCrae is a poor man's J.R. Smith. He can drop 25 one night and then go 0/6 the next and shoot you out of the game against anyone.

The poorest man in world history perhaps, but their games and struggles are similar.

It appears Maymon was out again. Is this serious or just precautionary? I hope we can get a full season out of him.

Word is staff is being extremely cautious with him. They say he's ok, and will practice soon and does some drills and all workouts, just being extra cautious....

I guess they feel they know what they're gonna get with him, and feel he's up to speed enough to let him sit a few out.

A couple things stand out in this overall discussion...I do believe McBee and McRae will be starting at the beginning of the season. Having shooters out there is necessary to open up the post. Because McBee focal point is shooting, defenses can't completely collapse on our bigs. Also, his defense is fine in the half-court. He won't be asked many times to check the opponents PG full length like Trae last year. Even when McBee wasn't hitting 3's at a high clip, the opponents didn't dare just leave him open. Thats the biggest positive of having him out there.

Second, I'd expect McCrae to improve in the same manner as most players do from their FR to SO years. I know he's a junior, but people keep forgetting he was benched his first year (should have been RS'd) and last year was basically his FR year "do over." Case in point, he made a TON of FR mistakes last year. I expect to see those go down significantly. My hope has always been that the lights turn on for him.

Lastly, this is more of a question. I remember when Kenny signed he was listed as more of a forward and he wanted to pattern his game like Tyler Smith. If I recall correctly, he wanted to work on his high post slashing and jumper as well as his ball handling. He wasn't used in this way at all his first 3 years and it seems as though he may get the chance to be that type of versatile 4. To be honest, he's never shown that he is just a true big man due to his lack of toughness and post game. Anyone remember this?

The poorest man in world history perhaps, but their games and struggles are similar.

You should read the Grantland article on J.R. Smith. It's one of the best pieces I've read on a player. It's almost one of those stories that should be a 30 for 30 tbh.

VN Store

Back