Practice Report...

Who are these 4 rock solid starters of which you speak?

Golden
McRae
Maymon
Stokes

I can see any one of those guys making All-SEC first team (maybe a stretch for McRae, but he could easily have a break out year and land on the second team).

It should be McRae, Richardson, and Edwards battling for the 2 and 3 (unless McBee somehow locks the 2 down). I'm pretty confident it will be McRae and Edwards. Doesn't really matter which is at the 2 and which is at the 3, but Edwards would probably be guarding the opposing SF.

Golden
McRae
Maymon
Stokes

I can see any one of those guys making All-SEC first team (maybe a stretch for McRae, but he could easily have a break out year and land on the second team).

McRae is not lock solid anything. If he plays to his potential he could be the X-factor to a very good season, however he has to prove it on the floor. Let's not forget, he "bought in" last year too but still had some serious mental lapses during the season. I like that he is focused in practice, but calling him a lock solid starter at this point is jumping the gun.

McRae is not lock solid anything. If he plays to his potential he could be the X-factor to a very good season, however he has to prove it on the floor. Let's not forget, he "bought in" last year too but still had some serious mental lapses during the season. I like that he is focused in practice, but calling him a lock solid starter at this point is jumping the gun.

I'd be extremely suprised if the kid hadn't locked down a starting spot by the time UT's non-con tournament rolled around.

Anyone got a bead (or an off the cuff prediction) on what the rotation will be? Martin has four rock solid starters to lean on, then Hall off the bench. I honestly can't predict who will see minutes at the 3 and who will be the 7th and 8th man.

JMO

golden 30/ Moore 10
McRae 25/ mcbee 15
Edwards 24/ Richardson 16
Maymon 28/ stokes 12
Stokes 16/ hall 18/ yemi 6

JMO

golden 30/ Moore 10
McRae 25/ mcbee 15
Edwards 24/ Richardson 16
Maymon 28/ stokes 12
Stokes 16/ hall 18/ yemi 6

It says the Hall has improved his "shot". I'm wondering if they are looking at putting him at the 4. We would see more of:

Maymon 28/Hall 12
Stokes 28/ Hall (1 rotation)/Yemi (game situations)

It should be McRae, Richardson, and Edwards battling for the 2 and 3 (unless McBee somehow locks the 2 down). I'm pretty confident it will be McRae and Edwards. Doesn't really matter which is at the 2 and which is at the 3, but Edwards would probably be guarding the opposing SF.

May depend also on what MONEY (1/2) brings in his first season.
Will be musical chairs in preseason until Cuonzo gets the chemistry he wants.

It says the Hall has improved his "shot". I'm wondering if they are looking at putting him at the 4. We would see more of:

Maymon 28/Hall 12
Stokes 28/ Hall (1 rotation)/Yemi (game situations)

Yea agreed. Either way I think stokes/maymon average around 28, with hall getting the majority of the backup post minutes.

I'd be extremely suprised if the kid hadn't locked down a starting spot by the time UT's non-con tournament rolled around.

While I agree with this from a talent stand point. McBee has some things in his favor that might keep him at the 2, at least early on. I personally think that McBee is the starter early on. McRae should be the favorite to start at the 3.

Yea agreed. Either way I think stokes/maymon average around 28, with hall getting the majority of the backup post minutes.

Maymon averaged 28 last season.
I see them trying to cut that down to keep him healthy this season.
More 4 guard line ups and crossing his fingers on Hall breaking out this season.

While I agree with this from a talent stand point. McBee has some things in his favor that might keep him at the 2, at least early on. I personally think that McBee is the starter early on. McRae should be the favorite to start at the 3.

McRae is the most likely candidate to light the net on fire and nab a starting spot

He is also the most likely candidate to do something stupid in a game or disappear for a long period of time and earn himself a nice warm spot on the bench

So frustrating, but you can see the potential from a mile away

More 4 guard line ups and crossing his fingers on Hall breaking out this season.

I hope there are a lot of games against inferior opponents where we have a comfortable lead and he doesn't play much past 20 minutes

I agree. There is an aweful lot of chatter about both Q and Edwards at the 4. I see maybe a 4 out offense with Stokes getting the low post to himself when Maymon can't go. Surround Stokes with shooters and clear out so other teams can't double him.

I agree. There is an aweful lot of chatter about both Q and Edwards at the 4. I see maybe a 4 out offense with Stokes getting the low post to himself when Maymon can't go. Surround Stokes with shooters and clear out so other teams can't double him.

plus Stokes is a great passer for his size

McRae is the most likely candidate to light the net on fire and nab a starting spot

He is also the most likely candidate to do something stupid in a game or disappear for a long period of time and earn himself a nice warm spot on the bench

So frustrating, but you can see the potential from a mile away

With McBee you know what you get. It's not electric but it is consistent effort and hustle with the ability to knock down 3s. With McRae you have the chance for ESPN top 10 plays and 30 point games but he has also shown a tendency to check out if his offense isn't going. I really think Martin rewards McBee for his hard work and effort and for being a senior. At least early on. Also, McBee is often pointed out as one of the best on the team at feeding the post. I personally think McRae and McBee start together in the beginning because they both have experience.

I know McBee has done work on the defensive end, but I don't trust him to not be a liability on defense. He's just not a high-major two guard. He brings 3 pt range to the team, which has been severaly lacking in the past few seasons, but won't Edwards, Richardson, Golden and McRae be competent enough from the 3 pt line this year??

I know McBee has done work on the defensive end, but I don't trust him to not be a liability on defense. He's just not a high-major two guard. He brings 3 pt range to the team, which has been severaly lacking in the past few seasons, but won't Edwards, Richardson, Golden and McRae be competent enough from the 3 pt line this year??

McBee is a matchups guy on defense, he can defend very well with tenacity against a player that isn't overly quick with the ball in their hands.

Edwards I don't know enough about to discuss, Richardson needs to have improved quite a bit from 3 to be a real threat that stretches a D, Golden is pretty good and McRae is streaky and has a tendency to have a TERRIBLE shot selection.

Last edited:
With McBee you know what you get. It's not electric but it is consistent effort and hustle with the ability to knock down 3s. With McRae you have the chance for ESPN top 10 plays and 30 point games but he has also shown a tendency to check out if his offense isn't going. I really think Martin rewards McBee for his hard work and effort and for being a senior. At least early on. Also, McBee is often pointed out as one of the best on the team at feeding the post. I personally think McRae and McBee start together in the beginning because they both have experience.
From what I've been reading ,McRae will be a different player this season.
No dribbling exhibitions. 3 dribbles max and you're at the rim, dishing to the post or passing off.
McRae will attack this season or play behind Edwards.
If he does he'll be a prolific scorer.
I'm hearing he's a changed MAN.

McBee is a matchups guy on defense, he can defend very well with tenacity against a player that isn't overly quick with the ball in their hands.

Edwards I don't know enough about to discuss, Richardson needs to have improved quite a bit from 3 to be a real threat that stretches a D, Golden is pretty good and McRae is streaky and has a tendency to have a TERRIBLE shot selection.

That would be ok if he weren't guarding other SEC 2 guards. Additionally, what opposing coach is not going to set some perimeter screens on offense to get him mis-matched against a point guard?

McBee may be just what the doc ordered on the offensive end, but his defense is a liability for the whole team.

This is likely what determines it. It's probably most likely mcbee/McRae start the season, CCM will use pre conference schedule to sort things and find his rotation.

If McRae is showing he can hit at a 38+% clip from deep, and bring the effort every night, you likely see McRae slide to the 2 and edwards come in at the 3.

That's next year, not this year.

And its not like Kentucky has gone undefeated every year, so they'll likely lose a few this year as well.

I know it's next year. I was just looking at it from a future standpoint. UK has been a basketball Bama since Cal got there. The Wildcats will continue to kill it in recruiting as long as he's in Lexington.

As far as this season, the guys UK got this year are still top 50, and most of them top 20. Just don't see UT competing with that. The best we can hope for is a split in the regular season.

VN Store

Back