Practice Report...

That would be ok if he weren't guarding other SEC 2 guards. Additionally, what opposing coach is not going to set some perimeter screens on offense to get him mis-matched against a point guard? McBee may be just what the doc ordered on the offensive end, but his defense is a liability for the whole team.

I don't disagree with the bolded, but I imagine McBee will be prepared for screens, he saw it last year.

McBee can guard a guy like John Jenkins, he can't guard a guy like Caldwell-Pope, I believe his minutes will be dictated by matchup

Last edited:
I know McBee has done work on the defensive end, but I don't trust him to not be a liability on defense. He's just not a high-major two guard. He brings 3 pt range to the team, which has been severaly lacking in the past few seasons, but won't Edwards, Richardson, Golden and McRae be competent enough from the 3 pt line this year??

McBee is fine defensively as long as they don't ask him to try to guard another teams PG or PF (in the case of last years Ole Miss game). Also, with the exception of Edwards, those other guys were on the team last year and McBee still got minutes because of his 3 pt shooting. As far as being a high major 2 guard, I'll leave that decision up to CCM. If he plays him, then he obviously thinks he can get the job done.

From what I've been reading ,McRae will be a different player this season.
No dribbling exhibitions. 3 dribbles max and you're at the rim, dishing to the post or passing off.
McRae will attack this season or play behind Edwards.
If he does he'll be a prolific scorer.
I'm hearing he's a changed MAN.

I certainly hope so. I like McBee, but what this team needs is a guy in the backcourt that can create his own good shot regardless of the man guarding him. McRae has the athletism to negate even a great defender, Golden and, obviously McBee, cannot do that.

I know it's next year. I was just looking at it from a future standpoint. UK has been a basketball Bama since Cal got there. The Wildcats will continue to kill it in recruiting as long as he's in Lexington.

As far as this season, the guys UK got this year are still top 50, and most of them top 20. Just don't see UT competing with that. The best we can hope for is a split in the regular season.

Which would mean we win one, something you were questioning.

Not sure many expect or guarantee it, but yes, we can definitely beat them

McBee will get minutes. He's a senior with an amazing spot up jumper, and he's solid distributing the ball. He's just too limiting to to what CCM wants to do on defense (100% man defense means that the 1-3s have to be able to switch on screens usually) to see "starter's minutes". If CCM was going to rely on a zone, then I'd say McBee could start and see 25-30 minutes per game.

Interestingly, McBee was 4th on the team last year in % of minutes played (54.9%, behind Maymon, Golden and Tatum, Stokes' number are sckewed b/c he played 1/2 a year), but was only involved in 13.7% of offensive possessions (12th on team, dead last). This means that he pretty much limits what Martin can do on offense as well with him on the floor, as he's only a threat as a spot up shooter.

Kenpom.com is worth the $20 yearly fee, BTW.

I certainly hope so. I like McBee, but what this team needs is a guy in the backcourt that can create his own good shot regardless of the man guarding him. McRae has the athletism to negate even a great defender, Golden and, obviously McBee, cannot do that.

I think golden can against a lot of PGs, he's much stronger than most and had pretty good success last year driving and getting to the line.

McBee will get minutes. He's a senior with an amazing spot up jumper, and he's solid distributing the ball. He's just too limiting to to what CCM wants to do on defense (100% man defense means that the 1-3s have to be able to switch on screens usually) to see "starter's minutes". If CCM was going to rely on a zone, then I'd say McBee could start and see 25-30 minutes per game.

Interestingly, McBee was 4th on the team last year in % of minutes played (54.9%, behind Maymon, Golden and Tatum, Stokes' number are sckewed b/c he played 1/2 a year), but was only involved in 13.7% of offensive possessions (12th on team, dead last). This means that he pretty much limits what Martin can do on offense as well with him on the floor, as he's only a threat as a spot up shooter.

Kenpom.com is worth the $20 yearly fee, BTW.

Funny how McBee started all the games in the 2nd half of last season and they played man-to-man in all of them. Also, for your Kenpom stats, you might see it as he's an offensive liability. Most people see it as a role player. Any sane person would want Maymon, Stokes and Golden to touch the ball as often as possible. Something has to give. McBee is a spot up shooter that doesn't need to handle the ball a lot to stay in the flow of the game. He gets 6-7 shots a game and plays solid D. So minimal touches for him is expected.

I think golden can against a lot of PGs, he's much stronger than most and had pretty good success last year driving and getting to the line.

Against PGs, yes. But in a last shot scenario, can you see Golden getting up a good shot against a long, athletic defender? I think history shows he struggles with it.

Maymon averaged 28 last season.
I see them trying to cut that down to keep him healthy this season.
More 4 guard line ups and crossing his fingers on Hall breaking out this season.

Maymon wore down at the end of the year.

I would bet the farm that Hall/Yemi get more minutes during the OOC and that Maymon will only see about 25 mpg against OOC, except in big games (like G'Town/Xavier).

Funny how McBee started all the games in the 2nd half of last season and they played man-to-man in all of them. Also, for your Kenpom stats, you might see it as he's an offensive liability. Most people see it as a role player. Any sane person would want Maymon, Stokes and Golden to touch the ball as often as possible. Something has to give. McBee is a spot up shooter that doesn't need to handle the ball a lot to stay in the flow of the game. He gets 6-7 shots a game and plays solid D. So minimal touches for him is expected.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I didn't mean to derail this thread into a discussion over McBee's defensive prowess.

With McBee you know what you get. It's not electric but it is consistent effort and hustle with the ability to knock down 3s. With McRae you have the chance for ESPN top 10 plays and 30 point games but he has also shown a tendency to check out if his offense isn't going. I really think Martin rewards McBee for his hard work and effort and for being a senior. At least early on. Also, McBee is often pointed out as one of the best on the team at feeding the post. I personally think McRae and McBee start together in the beginning because they both have experience.

This is possible, but I think with Edwards' D and his rebounding ability, I think he starts over McBee. I think McBee sees fifteen minutes a game.

From a guy on TOS, good stuff...

"Hall has improved his shot and is moving well and will be beast off the bench. Yemi has gained a little more on offense and has a lot more balance and while he will probably lead the SEC in fouls per minute, his defense has improved. I see him really moving toward a Festus Ezeli type of player in the future.

"

Is it crazy that I am totally cool with what's in bold?

You've got 5. Make them count.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I didn't mean to derail this thread into a discussion over McBee's defensive prowess.

Fair enough. Though I'm not sure what else we are supposed to talk about in a practice report thread for a practice very few of us probably saw.

Against PGs, yes. But in a last shot scenario, can you see Golden getting up a good shot against a long, athletic defender? I think history shows he struggles with it.

If they switch to put a long defender on him, i absolutely agree.

On a side not, with game on the line I want it find inside.

If they switch to put a long defender on him, i absolutely agree.

On a side not, with game on the line I want it find inside.

True on getting it inside, but sometimes things don't always work the way they're drawn up. And, I think most coaches, in late game situations are just going to foul Stokes if he gets it deep It's good to have a plan B.

True on getting it inside, but sometimes things don't always work the way they're drawn up. And, I think most coaches, in late game situations are just going to foul Stokes if he gets it deep It's good to have a plan B.

I don't see why Maymon wouldn't get every last second shot, he's the most poised and the leader of the team. So long as he's healthy, he's the best option IMO.

Is it crazy that I am totally cool with what's in bold?

You've got 5. Make sure to clothesline John Jenkins.

fyp

I have no problem with Yemi getting his fouls in...and the Jenkins thing was just a joke. He obviously didn't mean to do it, but I loved it nonetheless.

I do hope Yemi has improved his defense this year though. He rebounded well from what I remember.

The name "Kenny Hall" and the description "beast", never thought I'd see someone use those together.

I don't see why Maymon wouldn't get every last second shot, he's the most poised and the leader of the team. So long as he's healthy, he's the best option IMO.

The thing with last second shots is that when it's inside, the shooter usually gets hacked all to hell and it rarely gets called. That's why it is good to have someone that can create his own shot by driving or can hit the shot around a screen or can drive and dish it off to the open guy to knock it down. Golden has all these skills, but really choked over and over again last year. He couldn't even get the ball up court in some instances. It will be interesting to see who the go to guy is this year. I think we do not blow a lot of teams out and most games will be tight, so there will be plenty of opportunities.

fyp

I have no problem with Yemi getting his fouls in...and the Jenkins thing was just a joke. He obviously didn't mean to do it, but I loved it nonetheless.

I do hope Yemi has improved his defense this year though. He rebounded well from what I remember.

Yeah, and Goins didn't mean to hit Cousins in the sack. Yemi got frustrated and took Jenkins out with a classic clothes line. Caulk it up as a lessoned learned.

I'll say it again. McCrae is a poor man's J.R. Smith. He can drop 25 one night and then go 0/6 the next and shoot you out of the game against anyone.

I'll say it again. McCrae is a poor man's J.R. Smith. He can drop 25 one night and then go 0/6 the next and shoot you out of the game against anyone.

Pretty good comparison imo. He will be a nice specimen to observe to measure Cuonzo's ability to coach and motivate. J.R Smith is ruined because he's never been properly coached.

As an undersized post guy without a lot of range, Maymon struggles at times against athletic bigs. If he has a mismatch, sure but Maymon is going to have a lot of nights where his points come off effort and rebounding, not set plays for him and on those nights going to him for a last shot won't be feasible.

It's amazing how a thought or comment gets derailed on here. I said it would be nice to finally have a backcourt player that could create his own shot over a good, athletic defender. That has morphed into a debate about the ball going inside first. Yes, I think this team's strength is inside but i would feel much better knowing we had a guy that's going to get up a decent perimeter shot (if needed) no matter who is guarding him (or close to no matter).

As long as he plays D and realize the night that he doesn't have it to not shoot, I don't care.

VN Store

Back