Practice #4 - Updates

F1070703.png

Pics from VQ

Cincy fans complained about him going back and forth and it was brought up during the initial hire. He just seems to have specific things he wants from the position and isn't shy about shuffling QBs. I'm not saying he will have the same success, but Spurrier has done it for years.

Wait.

Spurrier will yank Danny Wuerfel against MS State, but rarely does he have a real QB controversy. Garcia had one long leash.

Look, if Butch gets us to a bowl, then his way was the right way this year as far as I'm concerned. I like to know who the QB is, but if the QB competition puts WINS on the board, I don't care if we rotate all three as starters.

Reactions: 1 person
Jayson Swain@SwainEvent 37s
On a serious note, every team has a bad day during fall camp. Cannot follow a bad day w/ another bad day though. Leadership will be tested

This. If they're worse at this point then whose fault is it?

Y'all need to realize that some of this is coach speak. Two years ago at this time, DD and Chaney had people convinced that our offense was going to be atrocious and that CP might never see the field. Sals interviews had everyone convinced that we were going to be a Top Rated D. I would rather them over deliver on the field than the other way around.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch on Jason Robertson

“Jashon Robertson, we’re trying (him) right now at offensive line, so we moved his position to offensive guard. He showed some things in practice that we liked, so we moved him to the offensive line,” Jones said.

“And I tell you what, Jashon is one of those individuals — love him to death. Always has a smile on his face, loves the opportunity. He’s tough. He’s extremely competitive, and he’s doing a great job for us.”

I actually like Worley the most in the video. And honestly, I've liked Wegzyn (sp?) in all these highlights too.

In the whole series of practice videos (yeah I know it's just a portion we are seeing) Wegzyn and Worley have been neck and neck

Competition is great, but I want to see a starter taking atleast 50% of the camp snaps to build continuity with his backs, receivers, and line.

When you're essentially splitting starting reps between 3+ players, the team is not able to build the continuity with the starter, and that causes issues down the road.

Establish a starter, let 2nd and 3rd string fight it out for a true backup position. Let the team rally around the starter, otherwise you have people picking favorites, teammates preferring one QB over another. This causes rifts with a team...

It's happening at Alabama right now, the team prefers one QB, the coaches prefer another, and it's caused a problem in their locker room

I agree completely.

Wait.

Spurrier will yank Danny Wuerfel against MS State, but rarely does he have a real QB controversy. Garcia had one long leash.

Look, if Butch gets us to a bowl, then his way was the right way this year as far as I'm concerned. I like to know who the QB is, but if the QB competition puts WINS on the board, I don't care if we rotate all three as starters.

I've watched Spurrier switch QBs on 3-4 straight drives while he was at Fla. Hes also gone back and forth between Shaw and Thompson more recently.

Reactions: 4 people
"We had trouble at times even snapping the football today. We couldn't make a field goal. We had too many balls on the ground and you're not going to win with that performance. So again, we will not tolerate that. That's something that you have to make sure you adjust---and our players will come out and they'll be fine tomorrow. But again, every moment is a teaching moment, whether it's positive or a chance to improve."

Butch

I've watched Spurrier switch QBs on 3-4 straight drives while he was at Fla. Hes also gone back and forth between Shaw and Thompson more recently.

Exactly what I said.

Was there any doubt Connor Shaw was the QB? Spurrier will yank a Heisman QB for a few drives when he feels like it. That is exactly what I said.

Again, if Butch wins a bowl game this year, he got it exactly right.

"We had trouble at times even snapping the football today. We couldn't make a field goal. We had too many balls on the ground and you're not going to win with that performance. So again, we will not tolerate that. That's something that you have to make sure you adjust---and our players will come out and they'll be fine tomorrow. But again, every moment is a teaching moment, whether it's positive or a chance to improve."

Butch

Ouch. :hmm:

IMO, the biggest red flag with CBJ is his inability to pick a QB and name him starter. At this point just go with a number one and give him the reps. It is the only place I see him as failing

Your frustration is misdirected. Coaches don't just "pick" a starting QB like a grapefruit in the produce aisle. If a QB wants that job they have to step up and take it. They have to separate themselves both with their performance and their leadership. It's quite clear to me that none of the QB's on our roster want this job bad enough to force CBJ to name them the man. If you want to be irritated with anyone be irritated with the 4 guys in the red jerseys.

Reactions: 3 people
Y'all need to realize that some of this is coach speak. Two years ago at this time, DD and Chaney had people convinced that our offense was going to be atrocious and that CP might never see the field. Sals interviews had everyone convinced that we were going to be a Top Rated D. I would rather them over deliver on the field than the other way around.

First off, I think Dooley is too dumb to even know what coach speak is, much less deliver it.
Second, the way Butch said "worse" makes me think they were actually worse today.

The only thing that concerns me about the qb competition is that we don't have the luxury of playing a cupcake early on this season to figure things out. I would like to see a leader emerge sooner than later so he can get on the same page with the backs/receivers. The longer we wait the shakier i become about the Utah State game.

In the whole series of practice videos (yeah I know it's just a portion we are seeing) Wegzyn and Worley have been neck and neck

Wegzyn is throwing the ball without much power behind it. Almost like he's aiming it to try and make sure he's accurate.

Exactly what I said.

Was there any doubt Connor Shaw was the QB? Spurrier will yank a Heisman QB for a few drives when he feels like it. That is exactly what I said.

Again, if Butch wins a bowl game this year, he got it exactly right.[/QUOTE

Right. Which was EXACTLY what I said In my OP, so I don't know why you wanted me to "Wait" or why you wanted to argue in the first place. But whatever....

Butch on passing accuracy.

"It's gotten worse. We have to go back and we have look at our mechanics. A lot of it though is, are our wide outs and tight ends and running backs running full speed routes? But we have to work on that. The great thing is we don't have to be game ready yet. We have ample time to get game ready and we will be able to do that."

IMO, the biggest red flag with CBJ is his inability to pick a QB and name him starter. At this point just go with a number one and give him the reps. It is the only place I see him as failing

saban has not named his starter …. just to contrast.

Butch is telling you and everyone else what he wants you to hear. He's letting the media see very small portions of practice and telling very specific stats of all the QB's. Don't get me wrong, I don't think everything is unicorns and rainbows, but I also don't think everything is as bad as CBJ is laying it on either. I think he's doing and saying what he feels will motivate his players the best.

This cannot be overemphasized.

Butch makes it very clear that he finds purpose in everything he does (at least in football). It's impossible to believe he doesn't use the media time to the team's benefit.

As for Nate being #1 - I would hope he'd give every QB a legit shot at the ones before naming a starter. Perhaps this was his shot.

VN Store

Back