Practice #4 - Updates

So far they say qb's are completing about 40% of their passes. The WR's are helping them out a ton, but they look terrible.

Then Ainge and Swann both said Worley looks the best, but he's not even getting 1st team reps.

Camp season is so confusing

Which is why I said I don't trust Swain, because he's a homer.

However, I don't think today's reps are necessarily indicative of where these players actually are on the depth chart. Coaches could be trying to light a fire in Worley.

So far they say qb's are completing about 40% of their passes. The WR's are helping them out a ton, but they look terrible.

Then Ainge and Swann both said Worley looks the best, but he's not even getting 1st team reps.

Camp season is so confusing

Butch is telling you and everyone else what he wants you to hear. He's letting the media see very small portions of practice and telling very specific stats of all the QB's. Don't get me wrong, I don't think everything is unicorns and rainbows, but I also don't think everything is as bad as CBJ is laying it on either. I think he's doing and saying what he feels will motivate his players the best.

Reactions: 11 people
Which is why I said I don't trust Swain, because he's a homer.

However, I don't think today's reps are necessarily indicative of where these players actually are on the depth chart. Coaches could be trying to light a fire in Worley.

Yeah, that's why I said camp season is confusing. Worley should be head and shoulders better just based on experience, and the fact that he's not has me worried.

I want a QB to be so much better than the rest that he's clearly the starter and taking the majority of the reps.

IMO, the biggest red flag with CBJ is his inability to pick a QB and name him starter. At this point just go with a number one and give him the reps. It is the only place I see him as failing

Reactions: 13 people
From Danny Parker

-2nd team OL is Blair, Pair, Kerbyson, Roberston, Kendrick
-Alex Ellis was the first TE
-Pearson made a nice juggling catch
-Malone got an earful from teammates after dropping a pass over the middle.
-Owen Williams was the first DT off the bench. Lewis and Miller the first DEs.

BuOpiLBIMAA9Cgf.jpg

Yeah, that's why I said camp season is confusing. Worley should be head and shoulders better just based on experience, and the fact that he's not has me worried.

I want a QB to be so much better than the rest that he's clearly the starter and taking the majority of the reps.

Maybe it is just me but I'd rather see 3 QB's playing so well and so close that none of the choices would be a bad one...

FWIW, we have little to no idea who is or whether anyone is "head and shoulders better". Jones wants competition and is fostering it. He wants those guys to feel pressure... because the starter WILL. There's nothing wrong with what he's doing right now even if he privately knows which direction they're headed.

Reactions: 14 people
IMO, the biggest red flag with CBJ is his inability to pick a QB and name him starter. At this point just go with a number one and give him the reps. It is the only place I see him as failing

Why is it failure for him not to tell us who HE thinks will be the starting QB? It is likely he has a good idea who it will be. But he wants to put pressure on all of them. Pressure is part of the game but a difficult thing to simulate. Jones seems to be doing it with the QB's.

Reactions: 10 people
Why is it failure for him not to tell us who HE thinks will be the starting QB? It is likely he has a good idea who it will be. But he wants to put pressure on all of them. Pressure is part of the game but a difficult thing to simulate. Jones seems to be doing it with the QB's.

That's got to be what's going on. Otherwise, he seemingly would just go with Worley.

Reactions: 4 people

Don't agree with this at all.

Why is it Butch's inability and not the quarterbacks' inability to distance themselves from their competition?

Reactions: 15 people

I wouldn't call it "fail" yet, but I would like to see CBJ show some of the leadership he has been preaching and just name a QB.

If Worley has improved as much as Swain, Ainge, et al are saying then it's his job to lose. Just name him. If the Dobb Goblin comes in against USU and kills it, there is still no problem.

Reactions: 1 person

Competition is great, but I want to see a starter taking atleast 50% of the camp snaps to build continuity with his backs, receivers, and line.

When you're essentially splitting starting reps between 3+ players, the team is not able to build the continuity with the starter, and that causes issues down the road.

Establish a starter, let 2nd and 3rd string fight it out for a true backup position. Let the team rally around the starter, otherwise you have people picking favorites, teammates preferring one QB over another. This causes rifts with a team...

It's happening at Alabama right now, the team prefers one QB, the coaches prefer another, and it's caused a problem in their locker room

Reactions: 6 people
Josh Malone sounds like a guy who needs to get it together. He needs to understand you earn playing time under butch. It's not handed to you just because you are a 5* talent. Heard the players were sore some but this is not time for soreness. Once the pads come on it better pick up or Butch is gonna send all of them on a run or some "punishment" more than just not speaking to the media.

From Danny Parker

-2nd team OL is Blair, Pair, Kerbyson, Roberston, Kendrick
-Alex Ellis was the first TE
-Pearson made a nice juggling catch
-Malone got an earful from teammates after dropping a pass over the middle.
-Owen Williams was the first DT off the bench. Lewis and Miller the first DEs.

Our OL is razor thin.. Sanders, Weisman and Raulerson after that

It is normal for backups to run with the first team. I ran ahead of t Henry and j Lewis a few practices. Of course I was not going to start, but They just give everyone chances to see who runs the best offense. That is typical. Equal opportunity and it's how you challenge ur best players to work harder. It pushes and challenges everyone

Reactions: 44 people
I wouldn't call it "fail" yet, but I would like to see CBJ show some of the leadership he has been preaching and just name a QB.

If Worley has improved as much as Swain, Ainge, et al are saying then it's his job to lose. Just name him. If the Dobb Goblin comes in against USU and kills it, there is still no problem.

Cincy fans complained about him going back and forth and it was brought up during the initial hire. He just seems to have specific things he wants from the position and isn't shy about shuffling QBs. I'm not saying he will have the same success, but Spurrier has done it for years.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back