Pot smokers, drug users.

I don't agree. Why gloss over the anecdotal evidence of addiction and toll it takes? Alcohol, food, tobacco abuse is out there and it is discussed. The consequences can be just as bad as a crack addict story, I suppose.

This insight is very helpful to me. It does seem hypocritical to allow alcohol, tobacco, and prescriptions when marijuana is the work of the devil.

Should all drugs be decriminalized or legalized? Opium, heroin, cocaine, etc? Are some just too dangerous?

presciption pain meds mess up more people, jobs and families than weed could fathom

Reactions: 1 person
I don't agree. Why gloss over the anecdotal evidence of addiction and toll it takes? Alcohol, food, tobacco abuse is out there and it is discussed. The consequences can be just as bad as a crack addict story, I suppose.

This insight is very helpful to me. It does seem hypocritical to allow alcohol, tobacco, and prescriptions when marijuana is the work of the devil.

Should all drugs be decriminalized or legalized? Opium, heroin, cocaine, etc? Are some just too dangerous?

That anecdote would have been relevant if a physical addiction to marijuana were possible.

Since when is it the government's job to protect a man from himself? Better yet, why should it be?

I really don't know if you're being sarcastic when you say that it's the work of the devil. If God exists, he made the damned plant.

Decriminalize all substances.

I deliberately omitted the word physically when I said addictive. Just because something doesn't cause withdrawals doesn't mean it can't be addictive.

I joke around with you on here, Flicka. You seem to be one of the few who can mix humor and politics. My 'work of the Devil' quip was a shout out to golfballs.

Government is always protecting people from themselves. Whether it should, or shouldn't is a topic for another thread. FDA, seat belts, GFCI outlets, FAA, etc. all protect people.

I think his anecdote is relevant because I was asking about all illegal drugs and not just pot.

I deliberately omitted the word physically when I said addictive. Just because something doesn't cause withdrawals doesn't mean it can't be addictive.

I totally understand that. However, I despise coming off as disingenuous, so I just wanted to clear that up.

I think it's a matter of semantics here, milo. Point is, alcohol and cigarettes (two legal over the counter substances) are physically addictive. Smoking buddage, however, is merely habitual.

I joke around with you on here, Flicka. You seem to be one of the few who can mix humor and politics. My 'work of the Devil' quip was a shout out to golfballs.

Government is always protecting people from themselves. Whether it should, or shouldn't is a topic for another thread. FDA, seat belts, GFCI outlets, FAA, etc. all protect people.

I think his anecdote is relevant because I was asking about all illegal drugs and not just pot.

Aside from seat belts (which is just an excuse to pull people over), most of those programs are designed to keep businesses, distributors, and cultivators/manufacturers in check. It's not illegal for someone to eat rotten pork. However, it violates regulations to sell rotten meat because you are putting others at risk.

Again, should the government protect a man from substances he chooses to consume?

If your brain wasn't fried from so much drug abuse, you would plainly see that I said the topic of whether government should protect people from themselves is a topic for another thread.

Are there any drugs that should be illegal in your opinion?

If your brain wasn't fried from so much drug abuse, you would plainly see that I said the topic of whether government should protect people from themselves is a topic for another thread.

Are there any drugs that should be illegal in your opinion?

You're probably right about that. Monday's my Sabbath.

In my opinion? No. It would seriously cut down the prison population which, of course, is way too high.

Imagine the socio-economic consequences of welfare drug tests and the decriminalization of all drugs.

I think it would be appropriate to continue to ban or at least heavily restrict some substances that have extreme side effects on both the user and community. I don't hold the opinion that pot falls into that category, but certainly crystal meth does. Synthetics, such as bath salts, are my biggest concern as there is very little science on them so we don't exactly how a person will respond. I think it is entirely in societies' best interest to have a means of dealing with identified harmful substances effectively but without simply incarcerating the abusers.

The other issue, in my view, are prescription drugs and how they may interact with other substances. Not saying I want more regulation in that area, but certainly would think the medical community could do more work to understand those interactions better.

I think it would be appropriate to continue to ban or at least heavily restrict some substances that have extreme side effects on both the user and community. I don't hold the opinion that pot falls into that category, but certainly crystal meth does. Synthetics, such as bath salts, are my biggest concern as there is very little science on them so we don't exactly how a person will respond. I think it is entirely in societies' best interest to have a means of dealing with identified harmful substances effectively but without simply incarcerating the abusers.

The other issue, in my view, are prescription drugs and how they may interact with other substances. Not saying I want more regulation in that area, but certainly would think the medical community could do more work to understand those interactions better.

Per your first point, I can see where you are coming from. However, do you really think the government would work out any alternative to incarceration? I think the duty of addiction relief is best left to methadone clinics, friends and family, rehab centers, and insitutions. Sometimes addicts want help, sometimes they don't. It may sound cruel, but let the burnouts burn out. It shouldn't be the government's problem.

You've touched on a really good point with prescription drugs. I personally believe pharmies are the worst narcotics out there. I would trust crack heads and smack addicts more than fentanyl or oxy junkies, because I've seen both groups of people and witnessed how much more of your humanity one can take away in comparison to the other.

559284_497380053617511_1992895108_n.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
I knew someone who choked to death on cheez-its as a result of cannabis.

So dangerous.

I almost did on cheese sticks one time. Bit off too big of a bite and got a hunk of hot, gooey cheese stuck in my throat. First time in my life I thought I was going to die on the spot

Per your first point, I can see where you are coming from. However, do you really think the government would work out any alternative to incarceration? I think the duty of addiction relief is best left to methadone clinics, friends and family, rehab centers, and insitutions. Sometimes addicts want help, sometimes they don't. It may sound cruel, but let the burnouts burn out. It shouldn't be the government's problem.

You've touched on a really good point with prescription drugs. I personally believe pharmies are the worst narcotics out there. I would trust crack heads and smack addicts more than fentanyl or oxy junkies, because I've seen both groups of people and witnessed how much more of your humanity one can take away in comparison to the other.

I think we could limit through regulation of ingredients with incarceration used only for those who produce. We do pretty well with bio-toxins, radiologicals and some forms of explosive materials.

I agree that private run facilities tend to have a much better success rate than government run rehab centers. It is unfortunate that most private facilities rely on government funded insurance to operate. The ACA will only increase reliance on government support in one form or another.

I almost did on cheese sticks one time. Bit off too big of a bite and got a hunk of hot, gooey cheese stuck in my throat. First time in my life I thought I was going to die on the spot

The cheese sticks should give you a courtesy tap or something.

:yikes::devilsmoke::focus:
Hai guise

Pot works the same way as alcohol. I smoke to take the edge off and sometimes cope with anxiety, rarely to get ripped. I tend to keep it to a small to medium sized bowl and you would probably never know I smoked, but it gets the job done. I haven't done this in a couple years, but conversely I could rip two or three bowls in a row and go all cotton mouthed and blood shot eyes.

If I understand correctly what you all are saying, pot is relatively harmless and is used much like alcohol.

Do most people wait until the end of the day or one weekends to smoke?

If I understand correctly what you all are saying, pot is relatively harmless and is used much like alcohol.

Do most people wait until the end of the day or one weekends to smoke?

alcohol is much more dangerous and damaging to the body than the devil's lettuce. Not to mention all the synthetic drugs out there that are prescribed and destroy a body could be wiped out with the legalization of MJ.

I don't smoke but my own personal opinion is go ahead and legalize it. I also go one step further and say we need to be more like the Netherlands and go ahead and legalize euthanasia & prostitution as well.

Here are some bullet points and factoids:

-the difference between a drunk driver and a stoned driver is that the former will run a stop sign. The latter, however, will simply wait for it to turn green.

But seriously:

-It's nowhere near as unhealthy for you as cigarettes (~20 cigarettes a day versus 1-4 joints) or alcohol (long term liver damage).

-There are no physically addictive properties, unlike (you guessed it) cigarettes and alcohol.

-It isn't possible to overdose as a result of smoking, eating, or vaporizing cannabis.

So, as far as health and safety goes, this plant pales in comparison to legal alternatives.

Why I support decriminalization instead of legalization:

-I don't believe in the regulation of psychoactive substances. It invites taxation and an overall diminishment of the final product.

-Decriminalization solves the number one problem of cannabis users: it keeps them out of jail. Therefore, the government involvement is minimalized. It also severely lessens the penalties for unlicensed growers and dealers. Nobody deserves jailtime over something so common and harmless.

-Legalization would put a lot of dealers and growers out of business (due to loss in sales and the taxation) and leave smokers with a more expensive and lower quality product.

/soapbox
/roll

I don't think that would happen. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting a dispensary but I have seen enough news footage to know that the choice of strains is much greater than the underground trade. Price sounds about the same as well.

While there may be a big company out there like Phillip Morris that capitalizes by selling some watered down cheap product I think speciality shops would rule the roost. There is already a culture associated with quality bud much like fine cigars. Plus growers are like micro brewers, they take pride in their product.

I'm all for legalization and taxing in the same manner alcohol is. Although the regulation part would concern me on the state level as some states limit the alcohol content in beer. I would be worried about THC limits. Then again, if you were allowed to grow your own then all you would need are some seeds from a neighboring state.

Regardless, industrial hemp needs to be freed immediately. The plant is so versatile to be wasted by prohibition.

Hemp is the key as to why marijuana is illegal in the first place

Anyways, word up north of me is that after-tax, it will be going for $20 a gram which is about double the street rate here (though not as far off as in the south -- far riskier in that part of the country)

I don't think that would happen. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting a dispensary but I have seen enough news footage to know that the choice of strains is much greater than the underground trade. Price sounds about the same as well.

While there may be a big company out there like Phillip Morris that capitalizes by selling some watered down cheap product I think speciality shops would rule the roost. There is already a culture associated with quality bud much like fine cigars. Plus growers are like micro brewers, they take pride in their product.

I'm all for legalization and taxing in the same manner alcohol is. Although the regulation part would concern me on the state level as some states limit the alcohol content in beer. I would be worried about THC limits. Then again, if you were allowed to grow your own then all you would need are some seeds from a neighboring state.

Regardless, industrial hemp needs to be freed immediately. The plant is so versatile to be wasted by prohibition.

I disagree with the bolded part. I think PM would use their resources to put a lot of the small shops out of business. They are simply too large and too business savvy to miss out on the revenue potential. Just like the HMOs wrote the ACA, PM and their lobbiests will write the legislation to legalize marijuana to their benefit.

VN Store

Back