Post-NSD 2016 Depth Chart Projections

It makes more sense for him to have that in his back pocket IMO. Transfer or not

Uhh? If he redshirts a year and THEN transfers that's TWO years of not playing. Maybe you agreed with me and I didn't understand?

It makes more sense for him to have that in his back pocket IMO. Transfer or not

I know right, screws up your jeans.

8fe140eab4107675540ecc69fbbfd277.jpg

With another recruiting class in the books, I figured we'd go ahead and start the projected depth chart thread. All JUST MY OPINION... (I decided to do a 3-deep)-

OFFENSE:
QB- 1. Dobbs, 2. Dormady, 3. S.Jones
RB- 1. Hurd, 2. Kamara, 3. Kelly
WR- 1. P.Williams, 2. George, 3. Blanc
WR- 1. Malone, 2. Callaway, 3. C. Henderson
SLOT- 1. J.Smith, 2. Perry, 3. L.Williams
TE- 1. Wolf, 2. Croom, 3. Jk.Johnson
LT- 1. Richmond, 2. Kendrick, 3. R.Johnson
LG- 1. Robertson, 2. Mosley, 3. Stewart
C- 1. Thomas, 2. J.Jones, 3. Raulerson
RG- 1. Wiesman, 2. Boulware, 3. Sanders
RT- 1. Hall, 2. Kendrick, 3. Tatum

DEFENSE:
DE- 1. Barnett, 2. Kongbo, 3. Lewis
DT- 1. Tuttle, 2. O'Brien, 3. A.Johnson
DT- 1. McKenzie, 2. Vickers, 3. Picou
DE- 1. Vereen, 2. Phillips, 3. Taylor
WLB- 1. Reeves-Maybin, 2. Bates, 3. Sapp
MLB- 1. Kirkland, 2. Bryant, 3. Bynum
STAR- 1. McDowell, 2. A.Smith, 3. Ell.Berry
CB- 1. Sutton, 2. Abernathy, 3. Byrd
CB- 1. Martin, 2. Moseley, 3. D.Miller
S- 1. T.Kelly, 2. Jennings, 3. Griffin
S- 1. R. Gaulden, 2. Ev. Berry, 3. Warrior
NICKEL (When needed)- 1. Foreman, 2. Osborne, 3. D.Henderson

SPECIAL TEAMS:
K- 1. Medley, 2. Toser
P- 1. Daniel, 2. Townsend
LS- 1. Lovingood, 2. Bradshaw
KR- 1. Ev.Berry, 2. Abernathy
PR- 1. Sutton, 2. Kamara

Just some observations- Our secondary is ridiculous. Also, this doesn't even include some STUDS for our future, like Guarantano, Fils-Aime, Pope, Brooks, Bituli, Buchanan, etc. We finally have DEPTH. GBO.

EDIT: Sorry, originally forgot Austin Smith.
BLUE FONT NEEDED- How can you forget that stud Colton Jumper????

Reactions: 1 person
I've resigned to the fact that QD will transfer after this spring and redshirt at his next school since he will have to sit out anyway. He will then have 3 to play 3.

Jones didn't move to center per se. It's just a way of fitting Boulware, Mosley and Jones all in the 2-deep. If Thomas were to go down, I'd bet we'd see Robertson or Wiesman move to Center, and Jones would fill in at that other guard position. Just like if Richmond went down at LT, for example, I'd bet Hall would move over there and Kendrick would move to RT.

Two years ago, Crowder went down and Wiesman filled in. He was dinged but looked outmatched and ill-suited at center. I'd bet Robertson before him.

I've resigned to the fact that QD will transfer after this spring and redshirt at his next school since he will have to sit out anyway. He will then have 3 to play 3.

Likely. Didn't know if you could rs a transfer year. Didn't want to assume.

Likely. Didn't know if you could rs a transfer year. Didn't want to assume.

I like him a lot, but I can see why he might think he isn't the best fit in our offense. I'm not sure of their QB situation, but I could see him at TCU and balling out.

When we signed Dillon Bates I never could fathom him not being in the 3 deep in any point in his career.

Way too premature to call him a bust, but where does he fit into this defense in the future, if at all?

It might be two years anyway and you don't have an extra year.

You didn't help me. If Dormady DOESN'T transfer? Redshirts. And THEN transfers the next season (assuming he doesn't beat out Sheriron or JG)? That's a sounder decision then using the redshirt year for his transfer? Two years of eligibility versus two? I think you're going with saving a year of eligibility whilst your competition serves as a backup. That's a big leap of faith. If they ask Dormady to redshirt...he bolts...the writing would be on the wall.

I have too, I kinda always knew deep down he'd never play a meaningful down for UT. The only I see that happening is if Dobbs gets hurt.

You didn't help me. If Dormady DOESN'T transfer? Redshirts. And THEN transfers the next season (assuming he doesn't beat out Sheriron or JG)? That's a sounder decision then using the redshirt year for his transfer? Two years of eligibility versus two? I think you're going with saving a year of eligibility whilst your competition serves as a backup. That's a big leap of faith. If they ask Dormady to redshirt...he bolts...the writing would be on the wall.

Rs your transfer year or this year makes no difference really in the long run unless he leaves before this year. Butch also doesn't red shirt at the beginning it would end up that way. Ya smell me?

Edit: he could do the following:

A: hand the ball to the rb in garbage time, transfer, rs. Play in two years as a starter somewhere else in 2018

B: rs, transfer. play 2018 as a starter.

C: transfer, rs, play 2017 as a starter.

D: rs or not and compete next year against SJ and jg.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
When we signed Dillon Bates I never could fathom him not being in the 3 deep in any point in his career.

Way too premature to call him a bust, but where does he fit into this defense in the future, if at all?

Should be good for him to get a fresh start with a new DC. Some kids just take longer to develop. Still think he can be a very good player for us, he has all the tools.

I don't know why everyone insists on moving JJ to safety. He has a bright future at WR. I could see Tyler Byrd getting a look at safety in coach Shoop's defense. Fall camp will be interesting. Every player gets a fresh start. Only Sutton, JRM, Kirkland, Barnett, and maybe TKJr are definite starters. Every other position on defense will be open competition. Competition breeds greatness. Go Vols!!!

Rs your transfer year or this year makes no difference really in the long run unless he leaves before this year. Butch also doesn't red shirt at the beginning it would end up that way. Ya smell me?

If he redshirts a year, he can't use it for the transfer year. If you're saying Butch hoodwinks him into staying by not declaring who the backup is? That's low rent and I don't believe Butch does that. These are kids careers we're talking about. Cheating one out of a year would be recruiting suicide. The backup will know who he is by the end of Spring...smell me back? :hmm:

How good we can be on D is scary. I hope they can find a niche for some of these guys so they don't transfer. I think Sapp is a great athlete who may never have a position and could transfer out. He started out as a OLB then moved to S and it seems now he's back at OLB. He seems like a great athlete just without a place currently. Also, I think if Byrd is as good as he's hyped up to be he'll fight for a spot in the 2-deep at either CB, nickel, or maybe even safety. I also hope S can work itself out bc there are so many great athletes there that need to see the field. I think TKjr starts but then who starts beside him is a toss-up. It could be Jennings, Berry, or maybe even Griffin as I've heard he may be the best all-around athlete on the team. However, with all this talent at S I don't think Jennings make the change unless the staff truly feels like he can start and make a huge difference. So at S my prediction is this: starters - TKjr and Griffin; backups - Berry and Warrior. I think Gaulden moves to nickel and tears it up there.

Should be good for him to get a fresh start with a new DC. Some kids just take longer to develop. Still think he can be a very good player for us, he has all the tools.

I thought he had all the tools as well, and he may have, but that depth chart is getting tougher and tougher to climb.

Injuries certainly haven't helped his development...

If he redshirts a year, he can't use it for the transfer year. If you're saying Butch hoodwinks him into staying by not declaring who the backup is? That's low rent and I don't believe Butch does that. These are kids careers we're talking about. Cheating one out of a year would be recruiting suicide. The backup will know who he is by the end of Spring...smell me back? :hmm:

Look at my edit and no I'm not saying Butch does that but his options are above.

Personally I think he's gone in spring because it's a better option for him. Although I'd prefer he stayed because I think he's a good qb.

He was getting some PT and solid reviews early on as true freshman. It seemed like he was on the fast track there for minute. Then he got injured, redshirted, and seemed to just get buried on the depth chart. Still lots of time for him with 3 years of eligibility left.

Coach Martinez was talking about substituting on signing day. Because he wants to keep people fresh (which we can finally do now) I can see us using 8 even more in the back end on defense. Starting like Defensive tackles won't mean much because a lot of people will play.

VN Store

Back