Possible Replacement For Serrano?

We should and will pay toward the bottom of the SEC

In telling you guys Jim Toman would be a guy in our budget, hes taken Libertys baseball program to levels never seen before. He would be a great fit here, spent years with Ray Tanner proved himself as a recruiter and solid assistant and now proving himself as a head coach. The guy has the 2nd best college program in the state of VA behind UVA.

Toman enters his ninth year at Liberty, having posted the highest NCAA Division I winning percentage (.625) and compiled the best Big South Conference winning percentage (.668) during his first eight years in Lynchburg of any head baseball coach in program history.

http://www.liberty.edu/Flames/index.cfm?PID=10867&CoachID=1037&TeamID=1

The guy came from the SEC and I have no doubt he would jump at the chance to come back.

Last edited:
In telling you guys Jim Toman would be a guy in our budget, hes taken Libertys baseball program to levels never seen before. He would be a great fit here, spent years with Ray Tanner proved himself as a recruiter and solid assistant and now proving himself as a head coach. The guy has the 2nd best college program in the state of VA behind UVA.

Yes he is a good candidate.

Top 3 in realistic gets IMO

Toman
Godwin
Calvi

All 3 former sec assistants that have had good success as HCs. 2 former USCe assistants

Yes he is a good candidate.

Top 3 in realistic gets IMO

Toman
Godwin
Calvi

All 3 former sec assistants that have had good success as HCs. 2 former USCe assistants

Your right all 3 are realistic, UT will have to find a cheap up and comer who wants to make a name for himself.

How important is prior SEC experience? Obviously it can only help, but should that be a prerequisite for a candidate? I really don't know the answer. I only ask because there are a lot of "mid major" coaches out there with lots of success that have never been through the rigors of an SEC schedule.

How important is prior SEC experience? Obviously it can only help, but should that be a prerequisite for a candidate? I really don't know the answer. I only ask because there are a lot of "mid major" coaches out there with lots of success that have never been through the rigors of an SEC schedule.

I would say in this case yes, the west coast experiment has failed. Someone with successful SEC ties knows what it takes to navigate through the difficult season.

I was so excited when we hired him. He has been nothing short of a monumental disappointment. His team looks no better than what he inherited 5 years ago. Sorry Serrano. You've had plenty of time and it's time to pack your bags and move on

Reactions: 1 person
I was so excited when we hired him. He has been nothing short of a monumental disappointment. His team looks no better than what he inherited 5 years ago. Sorry Serrano. You've had plenty of time and it's time to pack your bags and move on

SDV, I don't follow baseball as closely, but I thought he inherited a dumpster fire, like Butch. Serrano has recruited some very good talent, but unfortunately, not all of them have ended up at UT. Injuries haven't helped either.

It's a shame, but to me, it seems like the program is slightly better.

Keep Serrano, upgrade facilities, get creative with scholies, and scout bball and football for dual sport guys....there is no one out there much better than Serrano

Reactions: 3 people
If Dave Hart has to replace Serrano, I think one option could be to check with Phil Garner and gauge his interest in coaching the team while also reaching out to Todd Helton and see what kind of interest he might have in a role on the squad.
In your mind, is Peyton Manning coming to coach the football team?

I have been following Tennessee baseball since CDS arrived. I am a huge college baseball fan and I was swept up when CDS took that UCI team to the college world series in 2007…it was a special year. Serrano then was chosen to lead Fullerton when Vanderhook was already the associate head coach…this upset many, but the reason why this happen is CDS has more head coaching skills (face of a program, interpersonal, outgoing) than Hook…who is a great baseball man. Serrano came to Tennessee because he loves the school and the challenge of the SEC. He has changed the basic culture of the Tennessee program…the facilities have been upgraded, he has involved the alumni, he is more involved in the community, and his kids go to class and get good grades. They have beaten ranked teams this year, have been in almost every game, and they are a bunch of kids you want to root for! Also, his kids are valued at the next level (being drafted) which shows the talented base is getting better. He hire Simcox, which will be a huge help with recruiting in the future. Last year's draft killed him…plain and simple. I think he will lose 2 pitchers from this year's class, but next year pitching will be the strength of the program.

As someone who is not a Vol…I don't have the emotion that many of you folks have. So please don't get upset at what I am now going to say…You are not an elite SEC program in any sport right now. The facilities are good, but not like an Alabama or Kentucky (SEC powers in football and basketball). Everyone got upset when Kiffin ran back to USC (it was a no brainer…their facilities and history are superior to UT).

The SEC is a brutal league. I am not sure if there has ever been a deeper league in ANY sport. It is much deeper than the Pac 12, Big West or anything on the west coast. I believe CDS is building the culture to be a strong team for years in this conference. IT TAKES TIME and luck (he hasn't had much of this) How much time? Depends. I have given metrics that show the program is improving. I think, from what I read, most agree with this assessment. If you find a coach that has a better resume and wants to come here…I say fine. But just to change because you aren't happy with the losing…that is an emotional decision and unrealistic.

Finally, I visited your University two years ago. I loved the atmosphere, the people, and the pride you have in the school. You have a great baseball man and I think you know it.

I have been following Tennessee baseball since CDS arrived. I am a huge college baseball fan and I was swept up when CDS took that UCI team to the college world series in 2007…it was a special year. Serrano then was chosen to lead Fullerton when Vanderhook was already the associate head coach…this upset many, but the reason why this happen is CDS has more head coaching skills (face of a program, interpersonal, outgoing) than Hook…who is a great baseball man. Serrano came to Tennessee because he loves the school and the challenge of the SEC. He has changed the basic culture of the Tennessee program…the facilities have been upgraded, he has involved the alumni, he is more involved in the community, and his kids go to class and get good grades. They have beaten ranked teams this year, have been in almost every game, and they are a bunch of kids you want to root for! Also, his kids are valued at the next level (being drafted) which shows the talented base is getting better. He hire Simcox, which will be a huge help with recruiting in the future. Last year's draft killed him…plain and simple. I think he will lose 2 pitchers from this year's class, but next year pitching will be the strength of the program.

As someone who is not a Vol…I don't have the emotion that many of you folks have. So please don't get upset at what I am now going to say…You are not an elite SEC program in any sport right now. The facilities are good, but not like an Alabama or Kentucky (SEC powers in football and basketball). Everyone got upset when Kiffin ran back to USC (it was a no brainer…their facilities and history are superior to UT).

The SEC is a brutal league. I am not sure if there has ever been a deeper league in ANY sport. It is much deeper than the Pac 12, Big West or anything on the west coast. I believe CDS is building the culture to be a strong team for years in this conference. IT TAKES TIME and luck (he hasn't had much of this) How much time? Depends. I have given metrics that show the program is improving. I think, from what I read, most agree with this assessment. If you find a coach that has a better resume and wants to come here…I say fine. But just to change because you aren't happy with the losing…that is an emotional decision and unrealistic.

Finally, I visited your University two years ago. I loved the atmosphere, the people, and the pride you have in the school. You have a great baseball man and I think you know it.

CDS has had 5 year and has shown minimal improvement while our SEC counterparts win championships. I appreciate CDS and everything hes done here but its time to move on.

Reactions: 2 people
I was as happy as any Vol fan when CDS was hired. Not now. The primary reason is the very thing he was considered one of the best at coaching - pitching. There has been no improvement. Blame the draft all you want, the staff should be developed with enough depth by now. We see what having quality coaching does in his own staff. Finally hires Simcox and now they can hit.

Time to move on. Trying to tread water while laying at the bottom of the pool will not get you there.

I don't necessarily want to replace him, but there's only so many seasons you can say "We're almost there" and keep losing the close ones and not getting over the hump. This is year 5 and it's looking like we'll be lucky to make the SECT.

I'm pretty sure he'll be back next season, probably a 2 year extension, but it will almost have to be a "make a regional or bust" type scenario.

I don't necessarily want to replace him, but there's only so many seasons you can say "We're almost there" and keep losing the close ones and not getting over the hump. This is year 5 and it's looking like we'll be lucky to make the SECT.

I'm pretty sure he'll be back next season, probably a 2 year extension, but it will almost have to be a "make a regional or bust" type scenario.

I don't see any reason why you would extend him unless you just don't want to make a change. Next year is probably worse when you look at the roster.

I think we're going to see just how important baseball is to the administration depending on what they do with Serrano.

Hubbs said that Serrano is out unless things drastically change

One thing you're wrong on is facilities; Kiffin himself said that UT's facilities were far better than anything USC had. They've only improved on the football side since he left.

CDS has had 5 year and has shown minimal improvement while our SEC counterparts win championships. I appreciate CDS and everything hes done here but its time to move on.

Raleigh's conference record was actually slightly better than Serrano's.

The improvement is largely a matter of perception based on Serrano's much better media and speaking skills. The few reporters who cover national college baseball buy into CDS's pre-season hype and consistently over-rate the Vols.

Both Raleigh and Serrano topped out at 12 conference wins. We need to go 9-9 the rest of the year to achieve even that mark (though it is possible considering our remaining series against Auburn, Mizzou, and UGA).

Losing closer games doesn't count as improvement.

Arguments (however valid) about who inherited worse players don't negate the results.

Losing juniors to the draft doesn't negate the results--in the SEC, you're SUPPOSED to lose your weekend starters and a chunk of your position players after 3 years.

Actual improvement in SEC play? Still waiting.

I don't think it's a must but I think it's very important. Biggest reason is whomever gets the job needs to understand the animal Vandy in in recruiting and what they would be up against. A mid major coach in particular out of the area might not understand that at all

One thing you're wrong on is facilities; Kiffin himself said that UT's facilities were far better than anything USC had. They've only improved on the football side since he left.

I'm pretty sure the basketball facilities have been praised too. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Time to start seriously looking for a replacement. CDS just isn't cutting it.

Raleigh's conference record was actually slightly better than Serrano's.

The improvement is largely a matter of perception based on Serrano's much better media and speaking skills. The few reporters who cover national college baseball buy into CDS's pre-season hype and consistently over-rate the Vols.

Both Raleigh and Serrano topped out at 12 conference wins. We need to go 9-9 the rest of the year to achieve even that mark (though it is possible considering our remaining series against Auburn, Mizzou, and UGA).

Losing closer games doesn't count as improvement.

Arguments (however valid) about who inherited worse players don't negate the results.

Losing juniors to the draft doesn't negate the results--in the SEC, you're SUPPOSED to lose your weekend starters and a chunk of your position players after 3 years.

Actual improvement in SEC play? Still waiting.

Nailed it.... Need the training day denzel boom gif..

If Dave Hart has to replace Serrano, I think one option could be to check with Phil Garner and gauge his interest in coaching the team while also reaching out to Todd Helton and see what kind of interest he might have in a role on the squad.

Phil Garner was a classmate of mine. I qualified for Social Security retirement five years ago. How much future do you think is left in Phil?

Phil Garner could be a little unrealistic given the age factor, but if Hart has to replace Serrano, I would form a committee and get some input from people like Chris Burke or Rick Honeycutt or Todd Helton and see whom they might suggest as a possible replacement for Serrano.

CDS is 42-87 into his fifth season of SEC play. I'm not sure anyone has had a worse record in that long of tenure in the SEC during the last 25 years. Raleigh was close but he did not get a fifth year. CDS is a much better head coach than his predecesor. I could argue that if he is retained I could see UT passing UK and Missouri in the East very soon. I think Simcox on staff can do that. UT will never on a consistent basis be a better baseball program than UF or So Car and Vandy for that matter as long as Corbin is there with what they have in place. Not sure what is going on at Georgia as they have not been very good since CDS has been here but he is only 2-8 vs them. Lets face it UT should probably be the type of program to make the NCAA tournament about 5 out of every ten years. That is their ceiling in today's college baseball. We are certainly looking at their floor. I think with his staff straightened out CDS could do better going forward. This will be an interesting decision for Hart.

Reactions: 2 people
Phil Garner could be a little unrealistic given the age factor, but if Hart has to replace Serrano, I would form a committee and get some input from people like Chris Burke or Rick Honeycutt or Todd Helton and see whom they might suggest as a possible replacement for Serrano.

Only Burke of those you mention has any significant knowledge of college baseball and it's current landscape

Honeycutt and Helton offer little in a search

VN Store

Back