Possible Replacement For Serrano?

How long do you give it until they put the synthetic turf at LNS? I think that could be a huge help in on the field time.
My only problem pointing at the weather is look at teams like Maryland and UVA, granted they are established programs but still what would it hurt to reach out to them or some of the Carolina schools to get some insight.
Maybe the solution is to stay on the road the month of February and first of March?

Probably will never-ever happen! Last year it probably wouldn't have helped as the games cancelled early were due to the snow on the ground...........

Well I guess this year isn't year 5 since we ignore last years step backward due to weather. It was amazing how the weather in knoxville completely wrecked our season while the entire rest of the country played in sunny warm weather. Terrible luck

Reactions: 1 person
Firing a coach is like selling stock: don't do it unless you have a plan to replace with higher quality.

Going back to before Serrano was hired, the resume of every newly hired SEC head coach included trips to Omaha as a head coach or an assistant at an SEC school.

That narrows your candidate pool, and it eliminates a lot of the names that have been offered up here.

Highly unlikely Toman could be lured away from a school where his recruiting advantages include a new stadium, affordable tuition for both in- and out-of-state players, and a willingness on the part of evangelical families anywhere in the country to at least hear his pitch.

Like many here, I'm not thrilled with how the last four years have gone, but I don't have any better ideas.

Best case is we get to a regional this year and this talk dies down for a little while.

Well I guess this year isn't year 5 since we ignore last years step backward due to weather. It was amazing how the weather in knoxville completely wrecked our season while the entire rest of the country played in sunny warm weather. Terrible luck

Tons of teams struggled with weather and lost early season games. There were entire tournament weekends lost throughout the south.

Like it or not, the team was playing far better at the end of the season (hitting, pitching and especially defense) than in February when they were having trouble getting games in.

I don't see this happening 2 years in a row. Any you'd have to be blind not to see that UT was greatly set back by all the cancellations.

Reactions: 2 people
synthetic turf would have been little help in 2016. Recall all the games that were postponed in Cartersville due to weather.

LOL...apparently every time a coaching change is discussed a great former athlete that played well professionally is automatically the best choice. First Manning for the football team, now Helton for the baseball team.

I guess in a few decades Tobias Harris or Josh Richardson will be pegged to coach the basketball team, Candace Parker will be on tap for the Lady Vols, and Monica Abbott will be a shoe in for the softball team.

If Dave Hart has to replace Serrano, I think one option could be to check with Phil Garner and gauge his interest in coaching the team while also reaching out to Todd Helton and see what kind of interest he might have in a role on the squad.

Todd Helton would be an interesting hire.

Jim Toman would be my first call, he's been in the SEC under Ray Tanner. He's taken Liberty baseball from the joke of the Big South to the favorite every year in a conference that was once dominated by Costal. He's recruited really well there and I like his aggressive style.

We could do worse. He's an interesting candidate. A winner to be sure.

Interesting as ZERO coaching experience at any level
ZERO experience in recruiting
Zero experience in dealing with partial scholarships and APR.

BUT he's a homer and can assume he has a great baseball mind.. Could potentially bring him on as an assistant.. Seems logical to me, although I'm sure it's a long shot.

Last edited:
I am usually one like Frye to scoff at such suggestions of former big leaguers being the HC but the notion has certainly worked in Nebraska it seems. They love him there

Jim Toman would be my first call, he's been in the SEC under Ray Tanner. He's taken Liberty baseball from the joke of the Big South to the favorite every year in a conference that was once dominated by Costal. He's recruited really well there and I like his aggressive style.

My guess is, Liberty has the ability to offer need based aid to supplement athletics scholarships, and of course it plays in a warmer climate with a brand new stadium. Not sure UT would be seen as a promotion, going up against USC, LSU, Florida, Vandy and the Mississippi schools.

I do think UT should consider artificial turf, though. I personally hate it, having shot at Louisville and Vandy, but there is no doubt it helps with recruiting.

My guess is, Liberty has the ability to offer need based aid to supplement athletics scholarships, and of course it plays in a warmer climate with a brand new stadium. Not sure UT would be seen as a promotion, going up against USC, LSU, Florida, Vandy and the Mississippi schools.

I do think UT should consider artificial turf, though. I personally hate it, having shot at Louisville and Vandy, but there is no doubt it helps with recruiting.

Liberty has worse climate that we do

How much should we pay? LSU's coach had a total package of like 1.2 million. Most baseball coaches are like 4-500k. Who do we go get and how high should salary go?

VN Store

Back