Political Correctness...just a fad?

I think PC is here to stay and a part of it should be. When I was retiring from the military a lot of the old timers were getting sick of the whole PC thing and what could and couldn't be said in a work center.

Early on in my career people we said offensive things (dirty jokes, put downs, foul language etc) some guys would take things to a different level and be sexist or partially racist and you kinda had to pull them aside and say look stupid not everyone in the room wants to hear about your exploits.

I think the big issue started when they started removing flight books (numerous stories, pictures etc) because it was part of that units history. They took Playboy, Penthouse, maxim out of the BX because it was offensive (Stupid!). They also tried to stop the promotion of alcohol and alcohol related events (stupid), if you don't like alcohol that's fine but if a picture on my wall with me and friends drinking beer on the golf course offends you, tough $$$$!

I do think some things in life should be PC but at some point you ruin life and morale for 95% of the people because a small percentage of people get there feelings hurt.

They think they're solving a problem but what they're really doing is making someone more alienated because they're being catered to. I worked with a girl who complained about the cussing at work, I asked her what offended her and she said she didn't understand why that language had to be used. So after a talk with my commander we basically had to tone down the language and everyone at work hated her for it. No one would talk to her and basically she went from being a well liked member at work to someone who disrupted the work place. What did she do then, complained that no one would talk to her....some people just can't be pleased

Best PC word of all-time. African American.

I personally know one true AA and he's white. He actually put on his job app he was AA, got called for an interview and they admonished him for lying on his app. He proved them wrong eventually and got the job.

I agree!!! What pisses me off about it is many of my AA friends want to be called that by everyone but other AA. They're always dropping N bombs and I always call them hypocrites. They say I can't understand cause I'm not black, I say that's BS. I don't care that they call me white and I tell them they don't understand what it's like to be white.... It always a big pissing contest. You're black, I'm white that's just the way we were born

Reactions: 1 person
I think PC is here to stay and a part of it should be. When I was retiring from the military a lot of the old timers were getting sick of the whole PC thing and what could and couldn't be said in a work center.

Early on in my career people we said offensive things (dirty jokes, put downs, foul language etc) some guys would take things to a different level and be sexist or partially racist and you kinda had to pull them aside and say look stupid not everyone in the room wants to hear about your exploits.

I think the big issue started when they started removing flight books (numerous stories, pictures etc) because it was part of that units history. They took Playboy, Penthouse, maxim out of the BX because it was offensive (Stupid!). They also tried to stop the promotion of alcohol and alcohol related events (stupid), if you don't like alcohol that's fine but if a picture on my wall with me and friends drinking beer on the golf course offends you, tough $$$$!

I do think some things in life should be PC but at some point you ruin life and morale for 95% of the people because a small percentage of people get there feelings hurt.

They think they're solving a problem but what they're really doing is making someone more alienated because they're being catered to. I worked with a girl who complained about the cussing at work, I asked her what offended her and she said she didn't understand why that language had to be used. So after a talk with my commander we basically had to tone down the language and everyone at work hated her for it. No one would talk to her and basically she went from being a well liked member at work to someone who disrupted the work place. What did she do then, complained that no one would talk to her....some people just can't be pleased

I think the military PC culture is one that goes to extremes rather than a gradual process of breaking it in. And being conservative in nature (not politically, but rather resistant to change) the military resists it harder than most. Case in point, we had to sit through a half hour briefing about how saying "Merry Christmas" to others could be offensive and we should refrain from doing so regardless of the situation because someone might "overhear" the ofefnsive words. "Happy Holidays" or just don't say anything at all. And heaven forbid if you put up any decorations in your work center.

Forgive the everliving **** out of me, but when someone gets offended by some tinsel and garland, **** off and grow the **** up. And this was back in about the 2009/2010 time frame, can't recall which.

And we can go on with the PC culture destroying what was once tradition and turning it into an issue that wasn't needed. Tagging on stripes is another example. Yeah, some people took it too far, but the intent of running the gauntlet and getting them "tacked" wasn't a big deal. But suddenly it became "hazing" and not politically correct to do so. I saw not too long ago (I attended a promo ceremony for a former troop as a retiree) someone get briefed because they "hit too hard" during the ceremony. I probably wasn't supposed to overhear it, but for ****'s sake, give me a break. It wasn't any worse than anyone else got.

But anyway, I feel the military is one that the PC culture really irks because it often conflicts with the tradition rather than helping matters.

I think the military PC culture is one that goes to extremes rather than a gradual process of breaking it in. And being conservative in nature (not politically, but rather resistant to change) the military resists it harder than most. Case in point, we had to sit through a half hour briefing about how saying "Merry Christmas" to others could be offensive and we should refrain from doing so regardless of the situation because someone might "overhear" the ofefnsive words. "Happy Holidays" or just don't say anything at all. And heaven forbid if you put up any decorations in your work center.

Forgive the everliving **** out of me, but when someone gets offended by some tinsel and garland, **** off and grow the **** up. And this was back in about the 2009/2010 time frame, can't recall which.

And we can go on with the PC culture destroying what was once tradition and turning it into an issue that wasn't needed. Tagging on stripes is another example. Yeah, some people took it too far, but the intent of running the gauntlet and getting them "tacked" wasn't a big deal. But suddenly it became "hazing" and not politically correct to do so. I saw not too long ago (I attended a promo ceremony for a former troop as a retiree) someone get briefed because they "hit too hard" during the ceremony. I probably wasn't supposed to overhear it, but for ****'s sake, give me a break. It wasn't any worse than anyone else got.

But anyway, I feel the military is one that the PC culture really irks because it often conflicts with the tradition rather than helping matters.

A few years ago I went to FT Benning with a friend, his son was getting his wings and wanted me to pin him. I guess I violated the rules when I drove them through his chest.

I couldn't agree with you more. The whole tacking on thing could really get out of hand but I never worked with anyone who was ridiculed for not wanting to participate. I did work with a few a-holes who liked to wait till you weren't looking and prepped for the hit to blast you. I've also seen Article 15's for the same thing because a troops arm got broke because some guy just drilled his arm while he had it resting on a chair.

Glad to be retired

I couldn't agree with you more. The whole tacking on thing could really get out of hand but I never worked with anyone who was ridiculed for not wanting to participate. I did work with a few a-holes who liked to wait till you weren't looking and prepped for the hit to blast you. I've also seen Article 15's for the same thing because a troops arm got broke because some guy just drilled his arm while he had it resting on a chair.

Glad to be retired

I've seen a pin get drove into a collar bone. Looked like it hurt like hell.

I've also seen Article 15's for the same thing because a troops arm got broke because some guy just drilled his arm while he had it resting on a chair.

Good.

There's a difference in a hard hit and taking it way too far as we've probably both seen. I've seen more than my fair share of bruised arms in my time (including my own) but you are correct, some are just jackwagons about it.

Do you believe PC is here to stay or is it just a passing fad?

People will always get offended and enjoy their righteous indignation, whether it pertains to their idea of social justice, religious beliefs, their fanhood, etc. They only have as much power as society allows them....we are allowing religion less and less, but we are allowing equality nuts more and more. Not sure where it's going to go from here.

I got a detention for defending someone that used that word back in high school. I called the black girl who blew up a "dumb ****" but I'm sure PC is what got me in trouble... maybe not.

The kid who used the word was suspended. Which is horses%$t

Wtf...you can't call anyone a dumb ***** in front of a teacher at any school i went to.

Reactions: 2 people
Wtf...you can't call anyone a dumb ***** in front of a teacher at any school i went to.
I think he's taking issue more with the suspension of a student for using a perfectly legitamite non-racist adjective that was interpreted as a racial slur by someone with an undeveloped vocabulary.

VN Store

Back