Players can Unionize!!!

Did you? Believing that NCAA athletes on full scholarships should get paid is absurd. I'd rather see students in the medical field paid before athletes.

I was, good sir. As a transfer athlete into our great university, I took 79 units in two years to graduate on time. Not tooting my own horn, just speaking as one blessed to have the opportunity to wear the orange.

Reactions: 1 person
its not the end of college football...its the end of the NCAA involved with big time football...now the power conferences will join together,set a salary cap, and they will become the minor leagues for the NFL more than they were before...probably expanded rosters as well...

Reactions: 2 people
TN fans will be all for this until Alabama starts winning the bidding wars for all the top players

Then watch the tunes start to change

Reactions: 5 people
its not the end of college football...its the end of the NCAA involved with big time football...now the power conferences will join together,set a salary cap, and they will become the minor leagues for the NFL more than they were before...probably expanded rosters as well...

I agree on the NCAA.

There is no ability to set a salary cap and I don't see how anything like that can be setup.

This a game changer, huge decision by the courts. Prices are gonna go up for the fans.

Everybody thinks this is great Idea and I don't understand why?

It's gonna kill the fun, the same teams are gonna dominate every year and some schools will implode on themselves.

Reactions: 3 people

This will never happen

The NCAA BOD is made up of University officials

Totally agree! This is going to start a decision about money for kids way too early.

There will be no way to stop the "under the table money" going to handlers, agents, etc..

This will not bode well for schools not willing to pay top money for the best athletes.

This will open Pandora's box

Vols need to hurry-up and win the national championship one more time while CFB is still watchable.

TN fans will be all for this until Alabama starts winning the bidding wars for all the top players

Then watch the tunes start to change

I imagine a hard cap type situation. Every school gets x amount to pay out. It will kill all men's sports besides football and basketball. The women sports will also hurt but not as much due to title nine I imagine.

Then they need to stop offering free scholarships

If they are getting paid, then they can pay their own tuition, food, housing, etc...

Totally agree with u Count. Lower income kids that have benefited so highly from the opportunities, whether taken or pissed away, will be hurt the most. Schools will start having to avoid them more unless they can meet the standards that many school now overlook. They'll have to start paying taxes, academic requirements will most likely be focused on more as well, etc. A plethora of advantages that they get now will end up going away and for what...a little extra cash?? They get a salary so then when they realize that school payments (ie in-state vs out of state tuition) will be deducted, health care, food, and other benefits. As a VOL fan this may hurt worse cause our in-state talent isn't as good as some of our competitors. We rely way to much on out of state talent to be able to afford this. Even if in-state talent is getting better it's still not good enough to field winning teams that we all want. Schools in states with loads of top talent may be able to survive better than schools without it.

Of course this is all premature assumptions, but very real possibilities. The only thing I'm thinking is that kids will end up not voting to be unionized once the coaches start talking about how this isn't just going to be "Status Quo" plus a check. This is the problem with giving people things. These kids just get these scholarships, many use to it cause their families r on the govt cheese, and maybe not told how much they are actually costing. I'd break it down per student, with it all including surgeries they don't have to pay for, and make it a reality check. Just like my dad did when I started thinking I was man enough to handle it on my own. He just handed me an income statement type break down he made up for just me, and walked away saying "if u still thinking u can handle it let me know i'll help pack up ur stuff.". Yeah...I wasn't a man yet.

I'm sure this will go pretty far up the chain until it's final. Not surprised with the decision, and figured as such when I heard it was going through Chicago first. That place is one of the coolest cities in the country with really cool people, but their politics is a total mess. And we have it running this country...:/
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Were you ever a scholarship athlete? If not, you have no clue about the obligations. Just a typical, bitter non-athlete. If so, I retract my direct criticism.

On the contrary, while I wasn't an athlete I did have a scholarship to go to school, and yes I did have obligations. I had take so many hours a semester, I had to keep a certain GPA, I also had to check in with the state since mine was through the state disability group. Also I could get a job, but couldn't make over a certain amount.

I understand what they're going through, but they need to realize the opportunity they're given. Not everyone gets a free ride to college, I'm the only kid of my parent's who was able to go to college.

"Totally agree with u Count. Lower income kids that have benefited so highly from the opportunities, whether taken or pissed away, will be hurt the most. Schools will start having to avoid them more unless they can meet the standards that many school now overlook. They'll have to start paying taxes, academic requirements will most likely be focused on more as well, etc."

No, now they will have an opportunity to actually make money. I do find it strange that 3rd parties are so concerned about how much a 18 year old gets paid. I hope they make millions.

I imagine a hard cap type situation. Every school gets x amount to pay out. It will kill all men's sports besides football and basketball. The women sports will also hurt but not as much due to title nine I imagine.

Who sets the cap?

Does a 5* get paid more than a 3*?

What's going to be the punishment for paying a little more?

Who is going to govern the conferences if not the NCAA?

Its more to it than handing the kids a $5000 check each semester

Everybody thinks this is great Idea and I don't understand why?

It's gonna kill the fun, the same teams are gonna dominate every year and some schools will implode on themselves.

where are you seeing everybody? most here don't want it.

Who sets the cap?

Does a 5* get paid more than a 3*?

What's going to be the punishment for paying a little more?

Who is going to govern the conferences if not the NCAA?

Its more to it than handing the kids a $5000 check each semester

The next hammer is collusion, this will be for past damages.

So yes, you are correct, there is no means for them have a salary cap and there should have never been a rule stopping a player from getting payments from 3rd parties.

Talk about a can of worms. There is no doubt that major-college football and basketball have become too big--too many games, too many time pressures, too much exploitation of athletes by TV networks and conferences and universities. It is a big, corrupt business. Still, you can't pay players. The only way to do that would be to hive off football and basketball from the universities and turn them into minor leagues--and that isn't happening because they fund all the other university sports.

Are you going to pay women's soccer players and swimmers in addition to football players? WHERE is the money coming from? Most athletic departments lose money. Most universities are cash strapped as it is--especially state universities. A non-starter.

No, now they will have an opportunity to actually make money. I do find it strange that 3rd parties are so concerned about how much a 18 year old gets paid. I hope they make millions.

Oh of course they are going to make millions...

The unions that is. They'll see these 18 year old kids that have zero sense in the actual world as a cash cow.

Hope people like you are happy. This will destroy college football as soon as the first team goes on strike and they have to cancel half the schedule due to nothing more than greed and some nobody QB from Northwestern that just wanted his name in the news.

I wonder if these kids realize what that scholarship is worth and the federal income tax associated with that level of income. For that matter, would academic scholarship students now have the right to unionize as they too could be considered "employees"?

Going to be interesting especially when you look at the fact that most the scholarship players are still on Mom's and Dad's tax return as a dependent.

Once a deduction will cause a substantial increase in income.

The NCAA is sooooo far behind the power curve on this that they will be sucking air in the months to come.

Oh of course they are going to make millions...

The unions that is. They'll see these 18 year old kids that have zero sense in the actual world as a cash cow.

Hope people like you are happy. This will destroy college football as soon as the first team goes on strike and they have to cancel half the schedule due to nothing more than greed and some nobody QB from Northwestern that just wanted his name in the news.

No Pay No Play. I never thought about a strike. How long before the appeals.

Last edited:
"Totally agree with u Count. Lower income kids that have benefited so highly from the opportunities, whether taken or pissed away, will be hurt the most. Schools will start having to avoid them more unless they can meet the standards that many school now overlook. They'll have to start paying taxes, academic requirements will most likely be focused on more as well, etc."

Because if you understand economics, then you understand that someone has to pay for that extra cost to universities

Only a few ADs in the country operate in the black. TN is not one of them. For the UT AD to make up the cost, they will require more capital. That capital will come from raising prices. If not that, they will sacrifice other sports like Baseball, Hockey, Tennis, Track, etc..

Money doesn't grow on trees

On the contrary, while I wasn't an athlete I did have a scholarship to go to school, and yes I did have obligations. I had take so many hours a semester, I had to keep a certain GPA, I also had to check in with the state since mine was through the state disability group. Also I could get a job, but couldn't make over a certain amount.

I understand what they're going through, but they need to realize the opportunity they're given. Not everyone gets a free ride to college, I'm the only kid of my parent's who was able to go to college.

I admire and respect your hard work. But let's not compare apples and oranges. The physical exhaustion associated with collegiate athletics can't be easily replicated. Not knowing your disability (I apologize if I misunderstood your post), I can't speak for the physical challenges you overcame.

I'd imagine many of our lower income student athletes now are able to claim the same graduating distinction as you (first in the family/only in the family). That's a testament to them and their determination to better themselves.

All I'm saying is the whole 'free education' for athletes thing is a huge lie. They earn every dime (at least the ones that show up for class!).

VN Store

Back